PDA

View Full Version : 3dsmax bone expression setup

kakatekoyi
03-23-2006, 12:53 PM
i need some help here.......i was using motion builder's "damper (clock based)" under relation constraint to make the bones delay to each other....which save alot of time to animate all the jiggle manually....

now i m using 3dsmax, was trying to recreate the effect above on the bone in max........i heard people using offset in the expression to create the "delay".........somehow i m having problem doing it.........help!! any pros out there, is there another way? how m i gonna create the delay of the bone in max....................btw i m really weak in IK..............

GallenWolf
03-23-2006, 01:06 PM
Hi, I'm not sure if this can help, but this is from a simple test I did:

Create Master Object
Create Slave object.

Slave has a rotation script on its rotation controller with this script:

at time (currentTime - 10)
(
$Bone01.controller.rotation
)

What this does, is the slave object takes the rotation value 10 frames before, creating a kinda delay effect. Edit: NB, in my case, my master object is called "Bone01".

Position wise, similar tactics apply, except it is also possible to use a Position Expression within a position list. What I did is to create a Vector variable pointing to the Master Object's transform controller, and set the tick offset to a negative value (i.e. takes the previous values of the master's position), resulting in the slave having an offset position value.

HTHs!

Alvin

kakatekoyi
03-23-2006, 01:28 PM
hey thx for the reply, i would prefer the second way u propose which is the position constraint........coz i m not good with coding.....n i self studied 3dsmax myself so there is stuffs that i m not really good with......

i tried the second method u told, but the bone just mess up itself...........it works well on any object except bones.......is it something to do with the ik?

PEN
03-23-2006, 05:10 PM
In Max 8 you can also use the tick off set in the script controller if you wish.

kakatekoyi
03-24-2006, 03:54 PM
thx thx thx...............it works.......thx alot for the tips

kakatekoyi
03-24-2006, 04:03 PM
u guys r awesome:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
03-24-2006, 04:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.