PDA

View Full Version : 2d output from Rhino

noiseboy
03-23-2006, 10:10 AM
I've got my big learner plates stuck on my back for this. I want to generate some construction drawings from a model created in Rhino3d vers 3. I know I can add dimensioning from within Rhino but I thought it might be easier export a view to say Illustrator and add my annotations in there. My experiments this morning were not successful, I managed to save as .ai file from Rhino but sadly it was an empty file. Do any of you fine chaps do such a thing and wouldn't mind sharing a workflow for this.

Cheers

Colin

osmose
03-23-2006, 10:27 AM
Hi,

i'll try to help you :

first, select the view to use before export ( top, front, side...)

then right click on the layer where you curves are and use "select all"

in the file menu, use "export selected" and save your file in AI format.

then u can choose to preserve model scale or use the current windows scale.

hope this help !

;)

noiseboy
03-23-2006, 10:35 AM
Thanks Osmose, I thought that's what I had done but maybe I missed the select all step. I'll try later to get this to work.
Cheers

Colin

Arsyn
03-24-2006, 03:48 AM
take a look at all the options under the projection icon you'll see a pencil looking icon all the way to the right. that will create 2d drawings for you and will keep everything in scale.

rootoftwo
03-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Excuse me, if I'm stating the obvious... but here goes anyway.

1 Select objects.
2 In the Make 2D Options dialog box (on the Dimension menu), select the layout and object visibility options.
The Make2D command creates curves from the selected NURBS objects as silhouettes relative to the active construction plane. The silhouette curves are projected flat and then placed on the world x,y-plane.

It's probably down to personal preference, but I do all my drawing and annotations in Rhino and export to Illustrator for line weights and fills. Nothing would make me do the annotations in Illustrator - the snaps in Rhino are just too powerful.

I hope it works for you.

noiseboy
03-25-2006, 04:22 PM
I have figured out why I couldn't create my 2d drawing to export out, It would appear that the make 2d command only works with Rhino created objects...I had some imported parts to my drawing which,while I could dimension in Rhino, could not use the make 2d command.

Thanks for the replies

Colin

tilite
03-26-2006, 01:26 AM
The geometry you imported will be a mesh. Rhino wont make 2d from mesh only NURBS surfaces. You will need to convert the surface to NURBS or rebuild it.

However if you export seleted as an .ai file and open in Illustrator then it will import meshs. But you will probably want to turn isocurves off - you can do this is the object properties. If you don't you will be deleting so many more lines than you need too.

CGTalk Moderation
03-26-2006, 01:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.