PDA

View Full Version : Creating dusty wind

whalerider
03-23-2006, 08:43 AM
How do I go about creating dusty wind in C4D?
I know that there is a wind object which can be mixed with the particle emiiter, but getting the dusty look seems the challenging part.
Do I have to create textures? Will they make a difference - I suppose the dust particles should be small, since real world dust particles are fine.

Creature
03-23-2006, 10:07 AM
You don't need to have a single particle for every atom of your dusty wind. Particles are just a projection of the wind on a much rougher scale than actual dust-particles. Just try to get a good looking wind that behaves like you want it to with some hundred particles.

Then you have several possibilities to make it dusty. You can either use a visible light to make the dusk. Create a visible light and place it as a child of the particle emitter (I guess you're using the standard particle system, not Thinking Particles). By placing anything as a child of an emitter all particles get that object as their shape. So you place a visible light under the emitter - each and every particle will be a visible light. When you play with the setting of the visible light (they can also be animated!) you should be able to get dust.

Another option is using PyroCluster. There actually is a dust-preset in that. Apply the PyroCluster material to the emitter and the PyroCluster Volume Tracer material to an environment object.

You can also use Sprites. Sprites are a method where you have planes which are always facing to the camera and a texture applied to those planes. Create a plane consisting of a single polygon and place it as a child of the particle emitter. Add add a "Face to Camera" tag to that plane. Now all particles have the shape of that plane, always facing to the camera. Apply a texture to that plane which resembles dust (bright-brown noise in color perhaps). Give that texture a alpha-channel and put a circular gradient (probably mixed with a noise) there. This will fade the planes out on the edges and helps a lot for a smooth look.

A more advanced method for using Sprites is StromTracer. That's a plugin you could buy. But for your purposes one of the three ways I described above should work and they are free (they are not if you don't have PyroCluster - then there are only two free ways left :)).

To finetune your scene you can now increase the count of particles and decrease the Visible light / Pyrocluster sphere / Sprite-plane size. But you really don't need a particle for every dustparticle.

whalerider
03-23-2006, 05:43 PM
Thanks, Matthias. I have Pyrocluster (and TP), so I'll explore all the options.

Btw, great portfolio.

Creature
03-23-2006, 07:55 PM
Thank you - my CGportfolio or my personal one on my homepage? :)

In Thinking Particles assigning shapes or Pyrocluster is a bit different but you can either find that in the manual or when you do a search here. There has been some threads about Thinking Particles recently.

But the three (or four??) methods of doing it I posted in my first post still apply. TP is just another way to influence the behaviour of particles.

R1PPER
03-23-2006, 08:29 PM
Don't forget that dding the dust in post....is sooo much easier if you can get away with it.

GruvDOne
03-23-2006, 09:20 PM
One thing I can add to the Pyrocluster thing. In your Pyrocluster Material Attribute Manager, in the Global Parameters, the very first option is render mode. By default it is set to Atmospheric.. if you change it to video post, your render times will actually become realistic. In Atmospheric mode, PyroCluster is s-l-o-w.

Using this method is actually not too dissimilar from using sprites, but is a bit more "automated" akin to Storm Tracer (#1 on my list of plugins I MUST have ;) )

whalerider
03-23-2006, 09:35 PM
I meant the one on the homepage.

Thank you - my CGportfolio or my personal one on my homepage? :)

In Thinking Particles assigning shapes or Pyrocluster is a bit different but you can either find that in the manual or when you do a search here. There has been some threads about Thinking Particles recently.

But the three (or four??) methods of doing it I posted in my first post still apply. TP is just another way to influence the behaviour of particles.

whalerider
03-23-2006, 09:36 PM
Willie, R1PPER - thanks.

Creature
03-23-2006, 09:43 PM
Don't forget that dding the dust in post....is sooo much easier if you can get away with it.

I did this quite a few times and it works quite well:

- Create the dusty wind particles just as you would with any other method
- Apply a sphere as particle-shape
- Give that sphere a 100% white material (in self-illumination)
- Give everything else in your scene a completely black material
- Render that out
- Bring it into a post processing programm
- Use that b/w particle rendering as a mask for blending an animated noise (either from the post programm or maybe a seperate render of a cinema4d noise just mapped on a background object) into live action (or a beatuy-pass rendering). You can blur the mask to get rid of hard edges.

This is a fast way of doing it in post. Just use the particles as a mask for applying a 2d noise for the actual dust. Rendertimes are probably fastest with this.

The setup could also be tuned to produce shadows on the floor or any 3d objects in your particle scene. The only thing you can't do is light the dust (which maybe is not a big problem for dust as I imagine it, but would be for plumes of smoke rising from a vulcano). You can only fake lighting by carefully setting up the noise which is blended into the live action by the particles-mask.

As you can see, there are many ways to do this.

And yes, Video-Post in PC is way faster than Athmospheric but of course you pay for this speedup with loosing "real" 3d smoke as it fakes it by using Sprites (but still looking darn good if used sensually)

whalerider
03-25-2006, 05:11 AM
Where is the dust preset in PyroCluster? I only see Fire, Volcano, Cloud, Steam, Fireball, Smoke.

Another option is using PyroCluster. There actually is a dust-preset in that. Apply the PyroCluster material to the emitter and the PyroCluster Volume Tracer material to an environment object.

nendo_3d
03-25-2006, 12:55 PM
there isn't one u'll have to make it urself

CGTalk Moderation
03-25-2006, 12:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.