PDA

View Full Version : This newbie needs more help

Trambott
12-21-2002, 03:29 AM
Hello, yep its another brain teaser from moi.
Been trying to figure out a way to put a curve into a line drawn with the line tool. I was hoping there was someway to manipulate the line, that was something similar to the pen tool if ya know what i mean, I have tried doing it using the pen tool, but alas this tool always seems to want to create a line that goes back to the starting anchor point, and this creates a result that i don't want. Have tried subtracting/adding to the selection using the marquee tools, but it seems a really slow and inaccurate way of going about it, and i am sure that there has to be an easier way about it. I am preaty sure that I am thinking about how to go about this all wronge. So any guidence on how to go about this would be appreaciated, seeing as it is breaking my brain trying to figure it out.
Thanks in advance

Stocking
12-21-2002, 06:22 AM
What program?

Trambott
12-21-2002, 08:23 AM
photoshop 7 is what i am using

Ian Jones
12-21-2002, 01:39 PM
hey again.

I'm not sure I totally understand your request this time. Are you still having trouble with this moon shape?

post a picture so we can see what you are trying to do.

Stroker
12-21-2002, 02:05 PM
You don't want to close the Path. I can think of two things:

1) Make an extra Anchor to close the Path between the first and last Anchors. Select the extra Anchor and hit Delete - the key on your keyboard, do not use the Delete Anchor Point tool.

2) After you lay your last Anchor point, grab the Direct Selection tool, and click in the work space so that the last Anchor you laid down is no longer selected.

Stocking
12-21-2002, 11:22 PM
If you have Illustrator it may be worth exporting your vectors there. It is actually designed to make manipulation heaps easier.

Trambott
12-22-2002, 09:49 AM
Ta for being patient on this one
Ok I have attached an image below so I can tell yas more easly what I am trying to do here:
Basically I want a smooth line such as the one highlighted in green on this pic, what I am wanting to do with this line eventually is to bevel it so as it adds some depth to that part of the picture, now the only way I know how to get a smooth line is by using the pen tool, and thus my problems start. What the pen tool seems to always want to do is to draw a line from the end anchor point to the start anchor point, i.e. the line marked in red.
My question is how can i remove this red line? I only want the green line is this pic
The black part of the pic is something I have no idea about, seems in PS7 that the pen tool automatically fills the area with the forground colour
I have been quite brief me thinks in my explaination of what I am trying to do here, so if that is the case let me know and I shall give more info.
ta again for being patient on this,
thanks in advance

Trambott
12-23-2002, 07:53 AM
hmmm looks like i am figuring this one out for myself then. Well I suppose it is only fair ain't it

Trambott
12-23-2002, 10:14 AM
yay, I got it sorted, anyhow I am curious how important is illistrator to PS, I know nothing of this proggy

fig
12-23-2002, 02:21 PM
i've used photoshop since version 4 and my life became MUCH easier when i started using illustrator. the pen tool in ps works similarly to the pen tool in illustrator, but illustrator gives you SO many more options from there as far as creating shapes, etc. if you're doing print work then illustrator is really a requirement (tho photoshop 7 apparently allows you to export vector text now from what i understand), any time i do a cd cover, brochure, etc., i'll do the base image and any heavily manipulated type in ps then add all the copy in illustrator.

i got my illustrator CHEAP, they may still have a deal where if you own photoshop you can get illustrator at a significant discount. hope that helps.

chris

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.