PDA

View Full Version : render format

animationking
12-20-2002, 10:23 PM
what is the best format to render my animation in maya. it is 4 minutes long and split up into 30 scenes.

And also is there a way to export my composition as an mpeg-1? or is avi the only format. im a beginner guys.

Ian Jones
12-21-2002, 12:09 AM
You should try to get it into AE uncompressed. This will take a huge amount of disk space, thats the downside. The upside is that you'll have clean and superior footage to work with, and that will present no problems when it comes to contrast or sharpening adjustments.

I am a noob, so I can't suggest any specific format. Do a search through this forum and your bound to find a very similar question. I think from memory a *.tga sequence seems to be a popular lossless format.

froggyplat
12-21-2002, 12:53 AM
definitely, .tga or .png format will be fine. if your animation is 4 minutes you will benefit from rendering it as a sequence rather than an avi in case your box crashes during rendering.

those 2 formats offer non-lossy compression with the added benefit of alpha channels if you choose 32bit mode.

from there, just drop it all into your compositor and edit/color correct away!

whats the anim?

animationking
12-21-2002, 04:43 PM
ok i rendered in tga but now how do i put it into AE so that it plays each file as 1 frame? do i need to take it into some other program and put it all together? im confused:hmm:

froggyplat
12-21-2002, 05:14 PM
k, in AE you want to go to file-import, browse to your directory where the images are. click on the first image, and on the import dialogue check the box marked "import as a tga sequence".

after that's done you'll see one item in your project window which is your entire sequence of tga's. now just grab that and drag it to the "new composition" icon at the bottom of the project window and a new comp will open with your sequence all in one layer. make sure you set the correct frame rate in composition settings and you are ready to rock.

arvid
12-22-2002, 02:16 AM
the best format is probably mayas native imageformat, I trust maya to have a good format since its supposed to be high-end and all.. :)

Otherwise go with TGA but make sure to use RLA compression or your files will 1-2mb each, thats overkill. Softimage|3D and XSI uses its native .pic format which will compress the alpha and rgb channels lossless and will not save info about black areas so an empty image is only 6kb while and uncompressed TGA will still be 1-2mb no matter what the image contain.

Always use imagesequences for long cpuintensive renders since crashes of the system or application may occur and you would lose what you rendererd before the crash if you use AVI's for example, the other reason is that you cant have two computers writing the same file so no network/farm rendering is possible unless you use sequences.

When you have completed your composite you should render to an uncompressed/lossless Quicktime or AVI and run that high-quality movie through a videocompression application such as MediaCleaner, AfterFX has no qualitycontrol it will just use the codecs 'as is' and throw them into an .avi or quicktime, while MediaCleaner or Mpeg encoders will analyze the image and come up with smaller files of higher quality.

Hope it helps :)

froggyplat
12-22-2002, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by opacity

When you have completed your composite you should render to an uncompressed/lossless Quicktime or AVI and run that high-quality movie through a videocompression application such as MediaCleaner, AfterFX has no qualitycontrol it will just use the codecs 'as is' and throw them into an .avi or quicktime, while MediaCleaner or Mpeg encoders will analyze the image and come up with smaller files of higher quality.

Hope it helps :)

sorry to disagree with you opacity, but there are some quality controls in AE for both quicktime and avi. with the sorenson and sor3 compression for QT you can set the quality level, data rate, and also the quality and compression of the audio (some of which work quite well). for avi's, divx also has similar controls. both of these formats work well in AE.

no doubt that cleaner is superior for compression, but it isn't really necessary unless you are putting stuff on the web. i think the native AE rendering and compression are just fine for cd media and the like.

thanks for that info about the rla compression. i wasn't aware of that:)

arvid
12-22-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by froggyplat
sorry to disagree with you opacity, but there are some quality controls in AE for both quicktime and avi. with the sorenson and sor3 compression for QT you can set the quality level, data rate, and also the quality and compression of the audio (some of which work quite well). for avi's, divx also has similar controls. both of these formats work well in AE.

no doubt that cleaner is superior for compression, but it isn't really necessary unless you are putting stuff on the web. i think the native AE rendering and compression are just fine for cd media and the like.

thanks for that info about the rla compression. i wasn't aware of that:)

maybe you dont understand, I'm of course not talking about the qualitysliders, Cleaner will analyze the images to optimize the compression in a way AFX cant/dont do. Make some tests of your own, Cleaner will create way smaller files of better quality, especially good for the web, but if size isnt a problem you're fine with the AFX compression in most cases.

froggyplat
12-23-2002, 10:15 PM
oh yeah, cleaner totally kicks butt. it took me a while to figure how to optimize compressions with that proggy, but it's a great tool for your arsenal:)

animationking
12-24-2002, 03:15 PM
i chose to do tga and then i took it into adobe premiere. Looks great so far. thanx guys.

And where can i find MediaCleaner??

:bounce:

froggyplat
12-24-2002, 06:18 PM
if you are using premiere then you should already have a "lite" version of cleaner installed. check the help files on how to use it with premiere.
the full product is made by discreet and i think it costs about $500-600.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.