PDA

View Full Version : rope animation setup help needed

shiyamlal
03-22-2006, 11:54 PM
hi

how to create rope animation using constraint ,

ideas would help me for the horse & chariot animation.

how to create rope, for horse & chariot using constraint .....

shiyam

ashishdantu
03-24-2006, 05:24 PM
hi shyiamlal,..

theres one tutorial on making a rope .. some site.. uumm i dont remember the site..name... its a pretty gud one.. some name "pixel"...something.. i've searched for quite some time.. dont seem to remember.. he also made a mel script to automate this rope creation...

for now, go thru this tutorial.. (softbodies tut).. (http://www.dezfx.com/HTML_pages/TutorialPages/dynamicRope.html)

-rgds,
btw: what was the site name... ?? "pixel..... ?? "

Scandell
03-25-2006, 06:17 AM
I rigged the reins on Santa's sleigh in the polar express. Believe it or not..they were hand keyframed with my rig. No dynamics or softbodies used.

ashishdantu
03-25-2006, 07:44 AM
I rigged the reins on Santa's sleigh in the polar express. Believe it or not..they were hand keyframed with my rig. No dynamics or softbodies used.

hi scandell.....

wow ! is that like > "Keep it simple" rule, rules ?

hhmm sometimes, its the best right ? gud to hear from seniors like urself !

-rgds,

animationrigs
03-26-2006, 12:08 AM
Same thing for the sleigh and reins for Chronicles of Narnia. Sometimes it's better to spend the time with a bit of hand keying then dealing with "sims" or complicated setups. After talking to some of the crew on chicken little they did the same thing with all the combs. Hand keyed. Make it fast and simple and an animator can crank through quite a bit. Sims can be good too, but factor in how many shots and the required look.

underearth
03-26-2006, 09:30 AM
Same thing for the sleigh and reins for Chronicles of Narnia. Sometimes it's better to spend the time with a bit of hand keying then dealing with "sims" or complicated setups. After talking to some of the crew on chicken little they did the same thing with all the combs. Hand keyed. Make it fast and simple and an animator can crank through quite a bit. Sims can be good too, but factor in how many shots and the required look.

i think he needs to now how to constrain the animation to hands.. for natural look he won't mind keyfraking spline ik but i too want to know how to constrain them to hand..
would it be mixture of orient and point constrain

sunny

animationrigs
03-27-2006, 08:54 PM
A lot of it depends on animation requirements. Sure you can use point and orient constraints. I would recommend an offset node if you do that so you can still animate on top of the constraint also you will want to make sure you have enough controls where the hands hold the rope. You'll need it to get the rope between fingers and things like that.

underearth
03-30-2006, 06:52 AM
whats offset node?? please tell..is it in orient constrain..

would one be able to hold the rope using offset node..

please explain..

CURIOUS...........

animationrigs
03-30-2006, 06:56 AM
An offset node....in this case I mean when you create the controls for the rope, don't constrain the control. Create a parent for the control and constrain the parent. This way the controls parent could be constrained to something and you could still move the control. Make sense?

blurgh
04-09-2006, 11:28 PM
not quite to me ? :s

however its a lil late myhead might just be hurting..

zhenyang
04-10-2006, 04:47 AM
Create an empty group, constrain this group to the hand, and parent the controls for the rope under this group. :)

blurgh
04-10-2006, 12:23 PM
ah im with you now. Sorry to be 'teh n00b' :)

thanks alot :D

2scale
04-18-2006, 03:07 AM
You could achive this in so many ways....Dynamics or no dynamics....

I would stay away from dynamics if ur a newb. It's better to learn to get around these porblems without simulations. Besides there slow to render preview and a pain to fix when they go awry.

For example for a rope(model) you could either use an fk or spline ik or just rig with a wire cv curve.

Then create some clusters for some of the points u would use to move ur rope curve. Then Create some control objects for the object you want to move with the rope and parent contrain it to that cluster. Move the rope clusteres for the desired location. So when u move the clusters on the rope the charecters hands follow. If the geo needs tweeking create blendshapes and bake out history if any.

U could create some set driven keys to speed this process up if U wanted. This is a speedy method and is a relatively quick way. For the wavey whipping secondary motion u could use a non linear deformer.

The key is keep it so u can make changes easily. Keep the control in the animators hands not in the programers.

Good Luck

Jere

unsmoothed
04-18-2006, 07:21 AM
Hi. I had to make rope for this TVC....
http://fortheloveof.com.au/

It was done using control cubes pinned and sprung together. Then a curve was run down the length, the CVs were individually clustered and linked to each coresponding cube and used as an extrude curve. It was a bit of a method but the result was just what the job required. The dynamics were then baked out and the animation transfered onto the high resolution rig

-a

CGTalk Moderation
04-18-2006, 07:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.