PDA

View Full Version : Newbie has iMovie Questions

BUZZFX
03-22-2006, 10:41 PM
Newbie Questions

I am a 3D artist so I render my images from the 3D software rather than shooting on video. I have rendered out my animation as images dog01.bmp, dog2.bmp, dog3.bmp etc. You get the idea! Well there are 271 .bmp images each 1mb in size = 271 MB. I tried importing them into iMovie and it took 2 minutes to import all of them.

Q1. I read the "iMovie Getting Started .pdf" but it wasn't clear as to what to do with a collection of images. What do I do once I have loaded all 271 images of my images into the "Clips" section of iMovie?

Q2. I noticed my images have a black bar above and below them. What can I do to fix this?

Image Type: .BMP
Image Size: 800 x 450 pixels (Is this size too big for imovie?)
PPI: 72
Frame File Size: 1 MB (Is this size too big for imovie?)
No. of Frames: 271
Total file size (272 images) = 280 MB

Q3. I can render my 3D animation in the following formats so can you tell me what formats are best?

-Animation
-Apple Intermediate Codec
-Apple Pixlet Video
-Apple VC H.263
-BMP
-Cinepak
-Component Video
-DV-PAL
-DV/DVCPRO-NTSC
-DVCPRO-PAL
-DVCPRO50-NTSC
-DVCPRO-PAL
-Graphics
-H.261
-H.263
-H.264
-JPEG 2000
-Motion JPEG A
-Motion JPEG B
-MPEG-4 Video
-None
-Photo-JPEG
-Planar RGB
-PNG

All help is appreciated.

Tagger
03-23-2006, 08:27 AM
Q1
Did you import as a sequence? you should be able to treat them as a movieclip when you do that. (I never worked with Imovie so i dont know where that option is in that app)

Q2
You should choose a custom projectsize, you probable have a regular PAL or NTSC project and since your render has another size it's gonne try to work with what it gets

Q3
All depends in what you want to export it for. If you go for the internet H.264 would be the best choise

BUZZFX
03-23-2006, 06:26 PM
Tagger,

Thanks for the reply. Could you point me to a tutorial or website that explains how to pick a video format? I am confused with all the different formats. How does one know which one to pick?

Is there a list somewhere that lists the formats and their uses? That would help a lot?

Tagger
03-23-2006, 07:37 PM
in videocodecs there's no single codec answer for a situation, it all depends on so many factors. In the end it all comes down to experience with what works best for you and knowledge about what it is each codec does. It's always a balance between quality and quantity and every codec has its own way of giving it too you
The only thing i can offer you is http://www.onerivermedia.com/codecs/ which is a great refference for codecs.

CGTalk Moderation
03-23-2006, 07:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.