PDA

View Full Version : About the Channel Box (maya UI)

arnver
03-22-2006, 07:43 PM
Howdi Bunch,
It seems I'm unable to to copy/paste several values from the channel box in one time... :
I have one object with given values for Translate, Rotate and Scale and I'd like to paste these values to another object using the channel box. So I select all these values ( like I would with an Excel sheet), RMB-click and do "Copy Selected" . Goto the other object, select same channels and do RMB-click and "Past Seleced". Gives "Error: Nothing to past from" .
Right.
Same technique also fails in the Attribute Spread Sheet (select , copy, paste various cells in one).
Obviously my approach is wrong here...
What would be a workaround to do this?

Is Snap Align Objects working with 2 group nodes?

Cheers!

Arno

azshall
03-22-2006, 09:43 PM
Howdi Bunch,
It seems I'm unable to to copy/paste several values from the channel box in one time... :
I have one object with given values for Translate, Rotate and Scale and I'd like to paste these values to another object using the channel box. So I select all these values ( like I would with an Excel sheet), RMB-click and do "Copy Selected" . Goto the other object, select same channels and do RMB-click and "Past Seleced". Gives "Error: Nothing to past from" .
Right.
Same technique also fails in the Attribute Spread Sheet (select , copy, paste various cells in one).
Obviously my approach is wrong here...
What would be a workaround to do this?

Is Snap Align Objects working with 2 group nodes?

Cheers!

Arno

I'm actually looking into writing a script for this, the only way I can tell you to do it manually.. Is to set a keyframe on said attributes, then do the Copy .. select destination objects and hit Paste on those same attributes .. then break the connections to kill the keys .. lame, i know.. but .. for now it works

arnver
03-23-2006, 07:59 AM
Hi Seth.
Now that works quite well! It's way, way faster than copy/paste them all one by one!
Thanks for the help!
Arno

yohan
03-23-2006, 03:05 PM
Hi,
I use some simple mel to copy attributes between objects. Something like this >>

global string $gChannelBoxName;
string $attrList[] = `channelBox -q -sma $gChannelBoxName`;
string $sel[] = `ls -sl`;
string $attr;

for($attr in $attrList) {
setAttr ($sel[0] + "." + $attr) `getAttr ($sel[1] + "." + $attr)`;
}
;

This example works between two objects and copies the selected attributes in the channelbox...

/yohan

arnver
03-25-2006, 02:51 PM
Hi Yohan,
Thanks for the script but I'm not very familiar with Mel (except for very basic copy/paste and shelf stuffin'). I was just diving into the notes I still have from a mel course I had with an instructor called Lluis Llobera to try to make something out of the script you've sent when I took a look at your website...Funny :).
Btw your webpage is very inspirationnal to me, it's a perfect balance between simplicity and elegance. It's not an easy art.
I'll keep trying to improve my mel level.

Thanks for the help!

Arno

yohan
03-27-2006, 08:09 AM
You just need to copy>paste the code into the script editor, and either run it or make into a shelf button. It should work, let me know if you're having problems.

Thanks for the kind words and if you bump into Lluis in Barcelona, say hello from me!

:thumbsup:

arnver
03-27-2006, 09:42 AM
As usual, it was so simple that I could't understand it. :)
It works fine now! And it's Exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks a bunch.
Arno.

stallion151
03-28-2006, 12:52 AM
excellent. very handy script. needed something like this for a while now.

thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
03-28-2006, 12:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.