PDA

View Full Version : PCWORLD: Will PlayStation 3 Outsell Xbox 360?

RobertoOrtiz
03-22-2006, 03:44 PM
Quote:
"Last week's announcement that Sony Computer Entertainment will delay the introduction (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/pcworld/tc_pcworld/storytext/125170/18478331/SIG=11pr0epiq/*http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,125099,00.asp) of its PlayStation 3 game console was seen by many as a chance for Microsoft to consolidate its early lead in the next-generation console market. However, the delay of the PlayStation 3 is unlikely to hurt Sony in the long run, according to analyst firm In-Stat."

>>LINK<<
(http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20060322/tc_pcworld/125170;_ylt=AvjkTGoEr7pisTn07yky4b.s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cjE0b2MwBHNlYwM3Mzg)
-R

slaughters
03-22-2006, 03:45 PM
"PCWORLD: Will PlayStation 3 Outsell Xbox 360?"

It hasn't so far. :)

pixelmonk
03-22-2006, 04:27 PM
"PCWORLD: Will PlayStation 3 Outsell Xbox 360?"

It hasn't so far. :)

especially if the price hits $700+. Hardcore gamers and parents with too much money on thier hands that they need to offload it for a Christmas present for their kids may have the money. Oh and I forgot the fanboy. The one who will buy it at a premium just to say they have it. That'll happen with the Ningimpo Revolution too.

Gehof
03-22-2006, 04:49 PM
Not being a programmer I'm not sure of how accurate this is, but the way I understand it, with different processing setups (such as Sony's 7 cores to Xbox's 3) programmers are going to have to pick a system, or make stuff that's only utilizing 100% of 360's resources and about half of PS3's (if their calculations about the PS3 having 2x the floating point calculation power of the 360).

If any of the above is accurate then the winner is going to be whoever gets the best exclusive titles. As far as the price I don't think Sony is crazy enough to release it at any more than $500, especially with the recent announcement that it won't be less than $425.

*Edit*
I do remember hearing from someone who knows more than me that PS3's processing cores are a bit weaker than 360's, so maybe with some creative programming the differential could be circumvented?

CGmonkey
03-22-2006, 06:09 PM
And this has to do with what?

Neither of the machines will dissapear - both of the machines will have great games.

Don't flame bait.

richcz3
03-22-2006, 06:26 PM
How in the heck does In-Stat come up with those bold statements and numbers?
"Sony will continue its domination of the video [game] console market through 2010," In-Stat said.

I should have been an a market analyst. Be able to cobble numbers together and throw out grandiose statements and get paid for it. (letter from SONY exec to In-Stat. "Thanks..good read, how many shares did we discuss again?...."

MrPositive
03-22-2006, 06:28 PM
The only way Xbox can capitilize is if they actually get a few of those darn things in stores. Otherwise, they haven't done squat.

pearson
03-22-2006, 06:37 PM
I think the interesting part will be what Revolution does. It has a lot of naustalgia pull for the old timers, plus all the core Nintendo fans, and it will probably be really cheap.

As for the PS3 price, they'll pull a M$FT and bundle the machine with a few trinkets to justify the $1,000 price tag. And people will lap it up. Of course, what Mom is actually going to buy you for Christmas will be two controllers and a vertical stand for your PS3...for $400. :p

nvvm
03-22-2006, 08:15 PM
I think it all depends on how well nintendo and xbox 360 sell, if they come out with fantastic game s I can't see ps3 taking over the market on brand name. They'll need some great games to show the other 2 up. Thing is 360 developers have had some time with the console when we see ps3 we should be seeing system sellers on the 360. If sony's launch isn't perfect at they will definately lose some market share. But the delay allows time for them to patch things up, copy some more stuff off of competitors and get everything in order on the game front. With the price, I'm not so sure about ps3

Koogle
03-23-2006, 12:08 AM
"Sony will continue its domination of the video [game] console market through 2010," In-Stat said.

I should have been an a market analyst. Be able to cobble numbers together and throw out grandiose statements and get paid for it. (letter from SONY exec to In-Stat. "Thanks..good read, how many shares did we discuss again?...."

Yeah lol

Anyway I think Sony is putting a lot of hope on the PS3 and to be honest, I hope it fails along with its Blue Ray format.

Blue Ray maybe techinically better and than HD DVD, but I think both formats are failures and should have been out ages ago, and too much DRM mumbo jumbo. Perhaps if the movie industry spent more money on better script writers things might be different. And some actors get paid way too much for what they do.

and back on topic :) ..I'll be more interested in seeing what Nintendo bring to the market to compete with the big guys. And I think so long as Microsoft get a lot of big titles on the xbox360 then it won't matter what slight technical advantage the PS3 will have, because I don't see it bringing out games that will look any better than the x360 equivalent and the 360 will be a cheaper console by the time PS3 comes out.

DevilHacker
03-23-2006, 12:56 AM
one word...

no

DevilHacker
03-23-2006, 01:00 AM
...especially with the recent announcement that it won't be less than $425.were did you hear that?
:curious:

Gehof
03-23-2006, 08:34 AM
IGN if memory serves. They announced that it wouldnt be less than some odd yen which was the equiv. of $425. Obviously that leaves a wide spectrum, but if they're saying stuff in the low 4's, I'm doubting they'll top 5 for the system.

Pufferfish
03-23-2006, 08:46 AM
XBox360 got early start at least.. and there are some time before the PS3 comes out. It is still selling out in many places, so hard to tell if PS3 will ever catch it.

Loolarge
03-23-2006, 09:03 AM
Although i think the PS3 will be most exciting, i probably rather buy a revolution because of the price tag.

mech7
03-23-2006, 09:47 AM
It is just a shame that microsoft delibartly did not make the 360 what it could have been... I mean the money you pay for a louse 20 gb hdd is insane.. i can buy at least 200 gb for the same.

Also the connection to mediacenter is lousy, you need to convert every movie to wmv stream to be able to play them. I mean who made that brilliant decision? If they truly wanted it to be a media machine, they would have let it play every format.

I just hope the ps3 will have more of these features..

As for the games, I will probably pick up a 360 when halo 3 has been released as i still havefune with halo 1 and 2 in co-op mode with some friends :)

zukezuko
03-23-2006, 10:48 AM
Oh yes i hope so
I whould hate seeing Microsoft ontop even in the console area,

http://www.trival.net/mt/imagenes/softlibre/w.jpg

CupOWonton
03-23-2006, 04:01 PM
#1 - theyve already cornered the asian market, period.
#2 - More people bought PS2, why not PS3?
#3 - Havent surveys shown that most gamers are actualy 21+years of age? I dont think even a $700 price tag will stop a lot of older people. Especialy if theyre collectors of specific series of games. Theyll pay anything to be able to play the games they want.

slaughters
03-23-2006, 04:24 PM
...Also the connection to mediacenter is lousy, you need to convert every movie to wmv stream to be able to play them. I mean who made that brilliant decision? If they truly wanted it to be a media machine, they would have let it play every format.So iPods play WMV files? :surprised

As for the Hard drive space (20 vs 200GB) - some is most likely price - but it also has to do with size/weight/heat pruduction.

P.S.

Sony uses visious cut throat business tactics to force competitors out of the market place and to drive as much revenue there way as possible (so does Microsoft, Nentendo, etc..). They are truthfully a ruthless multi-national multi-billion dollar mega corporation - so why do most MicroSoft haters tend to be PlayStation lovers?

SpiralFace
03-23-2006, 04:57 PM
Sony uses visious cut throat business tactics to force competitors out of the market place and to drive as much revenue there way as possible (so does Microsoft, Nentendo, etc..). They are truthfully a ruthless multi-national multi-billion dollar mega corporation - so why do most MicroSoft haters tend to be PlayStation lovers?

I've been wondering that myself for a long time, as I find Microsoft at least somewhat respectable when your haveing issues with their stuff. Sony seems to simply have the entire, "If the warrenty expires, then just go out and buy a new one." mentality that I can't stand.

But anyways. As far as PS3, Does anyone else beleave that 1 million units a month and 6 million at launch is some what of a rediculously low ammount when you take into concideration that its a world wide release and distributation?? Makes you wonder how the unit distribution will be amoung the countrys. And although I doubt the PS3 will beat out X-box sales in the short term, (I'll wait till I see some of the games before I make a prediction about the long term.) I will think if these numbers are accurate, they will definatly be harder to find then x-boxes where at its launch.

heavyness
03-23-2006, 05:27 PM
you need to convert every movie to wmv stream to be able to play them.
-the xbox 360 can play more then wmv files [link (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/extender/mcefaq.mspx)]
-Transcode360 (http://www.runtime360.com/) - plays any divx/xvid file through the Xbox360 and is a plugin for media center
you're going to see in the coming months and year is us add more and more capability for both Windows XP systems, as well as Media Center Editions."read the article, he talking about video for XP users [link (http://games.kikizo.com/news/200603/101.asp)]

pixelmonk
03-23-2006, 06:01 PM
#1 - theyve already cornered the asian market, period.
#2 - More people bought PS2, why not PS3?
#3 - Havent surveys shown that most gamers are actualy 21+years of age? I dont think even a $700 price tag will stop a lot of older people. Especialy if theyre collectors of specific series of games. Theyll pay anything to be able to play the games they want.

2. Price
3. Not really. What parent is going to take the time to fill out a survey about their kid's gaming habits, and what kid is going to be interested or even know about these surveys. Surveys are bunk half time time. Also, what makes you think that every, or even half the 21+ year old gamers have $700 to shell out for a gaming system. There's a lot of people that will probably wait a year or more waiting for the price to go down. And with that, no, not everyone will pay ANYTHING to be able to play the games they want. They'll just wait, or lose interest in waiting.

heavyness
03-23-2006, 06:07 PM
#3 - hardcore gamers will pay the $700, the general public won't. last time i checked, the general public is responsible for the majority of game systems bought.

i really don't think the PS3 will come in over $500.

-if they release it for more then $500, they will loose money because not as many people are going to buy it, and in the long run, loose even more money.
-if they release it under $500, they will loose a lot for every system being sold, but will make it up in the long run with game sales and accessories.

even more so if Nintendo comes out before the PS3 with a budget system, Sony can not afford not being in everyone's house AND being the most expensive.

CupOWonton
03-23-2006, 06:49 PM
2. Price
3. Not really. What parent is going to take the time to fill out a survey about their kid's gaming habits, and what kid is going to be interested or even know about these surveys. Surveys are bunk half time time. Also, what makes you think that every, or even half the 21+ year old gamers have $700 to shell out for a gaming system. There's a lot of people that will probably wait a year or more waiting for the price to go down. And with that, no, not everyone will pay ANYTHING to be able to play the games they want. They'll just wait, or lose interest in waiting.

2. PS2 wasnt exactly cheap, and after just getting 2 games and an extra controller people were already hitting about $500. So far a lot of reviews and hersay state the max sony would probably ever charge for a PS3 is $500 and thats probably for a good packaged setup. It'll only be SLIGHTLY more expensive than the 360 launch, and people bought those up on the fly. So the claim that PRICE will deturr people is kind of null considering what theyre already spending on 360's.

3.Hm, I used the wrong wording. To my knowledge they base this on factual information from sellers. Usualy when you buy anything from say, Best Buy they ask some information, location, and probably slam either Adult or Child in a bar in there for good measure. You dont alwayse have to -fill out- a form yourself for it to end up in statistical graphs.

If technology progresses enough by next year in manufacturing terms, the price may drop rather dramaticly within a year anyway.

Hell, I waited 2 years to get my PS2, and I didnt even start buying games for it till 2 years later * this year since I was in a 2 year college straight out of highschool* and Ive bought almost 20 games in the past 6 months, almost all full price, brand new games, and I'm not a 'rich' gaming geek, I just dont spend all my money on bling, or bling covered shoes, spinning rms on my teeth, or a blinging car. Actualy, im not rich, but I save enough money to have paid for a 1998 Dodge, upgrade a computer, get some needed dental work * SCREW YOU COCACOLA!* And buy 3dsmax. And I still had money left. So, if theres as many single working gys out there who like to play games as I think there are, Im pretty sure a lot of them have been saving and will continue to save for a PS3. Think about it, there are how many Xbox 360's being sold? By thte time Ps3 is out, theyll still be trying to ship the 360's. People will have PLENTY of cash saved.

mech7
03-23-2006, 06:49 PM
You do realise that this solution only converts your movie to a format which xbox is able to play right?

-the xbox 360 can play more then wmv files [link (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/extender/mcefaq.mspx)]
-Transcode360 (http://www.runtime360.com/) - plays any divx/xvid file through the Xbox360 and is a plugin for media center
read the article, he talking about video for XP users [link (http://games.kikizo.com/news/200603/101.asp)]

AlbertArt
03-23-2006, 07:35 PM
We'll have to see this drama unfold. Sony continuing their domination... Pssshh please. They should try doing something to help with their PSP and its lackluster content.

heavyness
03-23-2006, 07:51 PM
You do realise that this solution only converts your movie to a format which xbox is able to play right?

yeap. its a plugin someone made for media center. does it work, yeap.

zukezuko
03-23-2006, 09:51 PM
" Sony uses visious cut throat business tactics to force competitors out of the market place and to drive as much revenue there way as possible (so does Microsoft, Nentendo, etc..). They are truthfully a ruthless multi-national multi-billion dollar mega corporation - so why do most MicroSoft haters tend to be PlayStation lovers? "

Yeap, thats true, sony is as gready as Microsoft, although i whould like to see
the Empire (http://http://www.declarepeace.org.uk/captain/murder_inc/site/pics/bg.jpg) fall. Let Sony be king of the console hill and MS Ruler of nothing.

P.S: do you see the clones in the back? thats us.

mech7
03-23-2006, 10:57 PM
Does it decrease quality yup :cry:
Do you need a pc with mediacenter yup..
Would you have a mediacenter pc not allready connected to your tv... yup :)

yeap. its a plugin someone made for media center. does it work, yeap.

heavyness
03-24-2006, 12:28 AM
Does it decrease quality yup :cry:
Do you need a pc with mediacenter yup..
Would you have a mediacenter pc not allready connected to your tv... yup :)

here is the article again from my previous post...

http://games.kikizo.com/news/200603/101.asp

...looks like sooner or later, the video will be opened up for everyone. is Microsoft using the 360 to help push there other products? yeap. this is how every company out there works. could Sony of used SD memory for the PSP instead of their Memory Stick Duo? yeap. it would cost less for the consumers to buy new memory sticks.

not starting a fight, i wish Microsoft put in divx support out of the box too for all users.

CGTalk Moderation
03-24-2006, 12:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.