PDA

View Full Version : freezing raytraced shadows in MR?

Dan Wade
03-22-2006, 01:37 PM
I know its possible to bake shadow maps in mental ray and renderman. But i was wondering if there was a way to do it with raytracked lights? I dont mean bake as a texture, but bake out the information. I have some large complex sets that dont move, but have a camera moving, im using the final gather freeze options which is working great. Raytraced shadows render dam quick in mentay ray as it is, but i was wondering if there was a way like final gather freeeze that you can freeze the rayraced light info based on the camera?

Also, is there a way to change the colour of shadowed lights in XSI? I know most of the time, the shadow is a pass, so the colouring is done in post, but i wanted coloured shadows so it effects my final gather pass. There is a light shader someone released that i am using, but if im doing alot of network rendering, some of the machines dont have this plugin.

thank,
Dan.

CGTalk Moderation
03-22-2006, 01:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.