PDA

View Full Version : object save paths..

matt-ksp
03-22-2006, 12:42 PM
ok. i use a shared objects/texture library. so all my trees for example are in one place. every f*******ing time i open my scene files it asks me to find to object(s/textures). i have looked through the config files etc. but can't find anything. i do not want to have to place copies of objects i use in every scene folder but it's looking like that. i also want to keep the textures in their own seperate folders as well. can anyone help.

also while i'm at it. does anyone know how to get layout to remember the viewport settings. specifically the view-mode. it always opens with every window set on texture view. which crashes my graphics card out. i wish to set them all the wireframe by default.

(don't get me wrong. LW is my app. of choice. just these been annoying me for 6 months)
cheers. ksp

Skywatcher
03-22-2006, 01:29 PM
Hi,

do you use a content directory?
If you do, you normally don't have any problems with Lw asking for textures.
They have to be in the images drawer ( where you can have subdirs for whatever you like).
If not just select one time at the loading process the images from that location.
Save all objects...and next time all will load fine.:)

hope this helps

edit: the texture display mode is saved with your scene.
When you save in wireframe setting it will load like that.

PetterSundnes
03-22-2006, 01:57 PM
I think it is time that NewTek start using relative paths as default... it cant be that complex to implement.

Weetos
03-22-2006, 03:24 PM
Maybe one day Microsoft will implement true links to their filesystems, just any other OS. Thanks to links, you can have an object, a texture, whatever, in several project directories while there's only one real file (instancing applied to files). if you update the file, all the instances are updated as well

If you're using OSX can use them natively, but if you're running windows, you can get a linux/bsd/whatever fileserver to store your projects

my 2c

matt-ksp
03-23-2006, 12:53 PM
thanks for the help and sorry for the language.

i use one drive for my projects, another for my textures and another for my objects (it means i can find everything at 2 in the morning). i guess it's most likely as has been said, a combination of windows (2K) cr*p filing system and LW not using relative paths. guess i'll just have to live with it. just it seems to be ok one day and not the next. i might try just shifting all my drives to my linux server instead of locally (but then i'll have to upgraid my network... where do you stop...) i'm still tempted to swap my windows version of LW for a linux version - one day.

cheers.

edit - have just found the directory settings in LW8.cfg - when selecting the content directory in LW it only lets you choose one directory, yet in the cfg file it has an entry for scenes, objects, textures etc. i'm goin to try setting these to the appropriate places and see if it blows up. lol

CGTalk Moderation
03-23-2006, 12:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.