PDA

View Full Version : 2 skin on one model?

donvlatko
03-22-2006, 11:36 AM
do you maybe know of a way to store more than one weighting for a mesh inside a maya scene ? I was thinking, since they simply rely on a weighting matrix, if there s a way to have multiple matrices and switch or even blend between them basically..... ?

dunkelzahn
03-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Exporting the weighting as bitmap files and then using some sort of blending mechanism might work. You wouldnt store them in the mesh, but as external assets, which Maya uses to create the final weighting.

Im sure it can be done, the question is how? What exactly do you want to do with it? If its just for testing different weights, then maybe a MEL script that imports and exports the weighting maps might be enough.

Chris

john_homer
03-22-2006, 08:53 PM
thats an interesting question.. so I had a play...
all you really need to do is have a node that can blend an .inMesh connection...
blendshape does that ;)

I just did this little test and it worked...
duplicate your object so you have 3..
name them skinOption1, skinOption2 and finalSkin.
bind skinOption1 and skinOption2
select skinOption1 and skinOption2 THEN finalSkin and create a blendShape (not inbetween)
load the connections to all 3 skins in the hypershade.
for each of skinOption1 and skinOption2 take the connection going into the ".inMesh" and plug it directly into the existing connection to the blendnode (essentially just taking the shapeNode out of the chain)
now in theory you can just delete skinOption1 and skinOption2 but there is a slight problem, the skin cluster needs the intermediateObject shapeNode (its the one that doesn't show up in the outliner and is called "*Orig") as reference for the deformations..
so..
edit here, cos i was wrong..
check the (outgoing) connection from the old intermediate objects (into groupParts) and replace them with a connection from finalSkin.

now delete skinOption1 and skinOption2.

now you have a blendshape node on finalSkin that blends between the 2 skinClusters without having the overhead of the extra meshes, or need to import weigh maps :^)

hopefully that makes sence, was a bit tricky to explain..

.j

dunkelzahn
03-23-2006, 09:01 AM
Sounds interesting, John. Ill take a shot at that. Should be a good method to quickly test several skinning versions and blend parts of that into each other (Im thinking about the Paint BlendShapes Weight tool :)).

Cheers

Chris

donvlatko
03-23-2006, 09:41 AM
wow thanks guys

john_homer I think I did't understand very well:) would you be able to make a test scene with simple clynder?

john_homer
03-23-2006, 08:50 PM
hi,

I actually scripted this yesterday after posting...
the only issue is editing the weights afterwards.. as you can imagine because the skincluster is not directly on the finalMesh you cant paint it...

I'm just adding some functionality to the script to "bring back" the original meshes.. essentially put it back into edit mode for tweeks, then you can delete them again... or just leave them in the scene...
I'm just writing it in down time (thanks cloth sims) but will hopefully post it today some time.

.j

john_homer
03-24-2006, 05:42 AM
get it here...
http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/mel_scripts/character/4020.html

.j

dunkelzahn
03-24-2006, 08:05 AM
You are really generous, Homer. Thank you very much for not just giving us the raw theory but also also for scripting it down.

Thanks a lot and have a nice weekend "down under"

Chris

donvlatko
03-24-2006, 09:29 AM
wow man Homer, no words :)

CGTalk Moderation
03-24-2006, 09:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.