PDA

View Full Version : "Photorealistic" Human...Nude Female

Matches14
03-06-2002, 05:25 AM
Heres an image that is supposed to be a "Photorealistic Human". It is one of 3 images tha I have to color from Black and white line art to apply for a certain digital painting job. This took about 15 hours from start to finish. This has been converted from CMYK to RGB and downsized from 600dpi to 72 so alot of detail is lost. What needs touched up? I havent had a job in the digital painting/matte/illustration field yet so I'm not sure how close I come to their standards. Thanks

http://www.JoshNeuman.com/Site/Pages/Pictures/SAMPLE-B_Painted_low.jpg

jmringuet
03-06-2002, 05:38 AM
The main problem I see is your shadows. They are anatomically wrong for the most part. You definitely need some reference for that, and it shouldn't be difficult to find a pic of a naked woman with the right kind of kighting on the net :) You can't be photorealistic without starting from well... a photo. You also need to sample values and colors from some reference material... you have some black shadows that look plain wrong and make the model look 'dirty'.
So compare your pic to a real photo and you can see all the little things that don't work.

Pedro
03-06-2002, 08:57 AM
Pretty damn good, but not quite Photorealistic.

Perhaps you should try using real photographic reference. Or a real life model.

It IS possible to draw a woman without any reference, but you would already have to be a master of the craft and you probably wouldn't be here ;)

Maybe read up on some Jan Vermeer to see how he did it back in the 1600's

Sangotten
03-06-2002, 04:47 PM
It's really not bad, overall it looks quite okay but if you want it to make it look photo realistic here are some points:

-Black shadows are a big NO! If you look at your own body you see that there are no black shadows...only when an extreme highlight hits you your shadow may turn dark brown.

-Maybe you can turn down the whiteness of the body down, make the skin a bit darker, that way the brown shading may come out better.

-The area around the neck looks not anatomic correct, you may want to use reference photo's. Don't be scared to give some more detail in the area around her vagina. The strong lines of the leg give it a weird feeling of something not being allright there ;) Maybe the hair could use a bit more high-lighting and shading...

I hope I could be of some help.

Equinoxx
03-06-2002, 08:36 PM
where's me bushwacker :D

Skatanic
03-07-2002, 01:41 PM
I agree, for photorealism black shadows are a no no.

The anatomical probs with this model seem to be the neck and that nipple on her left brest. The anatomy of the neck is way off. I would grab an anatomy book. As for the nipple, it seems to be a bit high and to the right of where it should be. Also, the collar bone, for lack of a better term, doesnt make sense. There seems to be some sort of flap under the collar bone, that shouldnt be there. And for such a pronounced collar bone on her left side, the right one seems to be non-existent. If that one is going to cause such a deep shadow there, the other should as well.

Other than those things, keep up the good work.

Skatanic

BDismukes
03-10-2002, 08:19 AM
The neck could use some adjustment, but also, it seems to me that the hips are too high and the overall length of the torso seems too short, making her arms seem much too long. As for the shading, and I'm hoping you are using Photoshop, I have found that my best friend for cast shadows and highlights are the adjustment layers. Set one to levels and darken the entire image to the right shadow density, invert the values and start painting in the shadows. If the color or brightness is wrong then it's a snap to change and if you have more than one light source casting shadows, aditional adjustment layers are all that is needed.

In any case, keep going!

gaetano125
04-05-2002, 05:26 AM
Well, I certainly couldn't do better, but I'm naturally cynical, so let me hand out some advice. Blah, blah, blah, black shadows, blah, blah, everyone else here has made that point clearly, so I'll move on and say that the musculature in the neck is a bit off, and the right cheek looks a little puffed, as if she's eating something or has recently been punched in the face. Good stuff, though. Very good stuff.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.