PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft to delay Windows Vista release

RobertoOrtiz
03-22-2006, 12:38 AM
Quote:
"Microsoft Corp. will delay the consumer release of its new Windows operating system until January 2007, missing the holiday sales season and throwing some PC makers and retailers into turmoil. ""

>>LINK<< (http://www.yahoo.com/s/282364)

-R

DDS
03-22-2006, 02:40 AM
wtf, first the ps3, now this. Is this normal?

gabio
03-22-2006, 02:49 AM
That delay was enough for some retailers, computer makers and other corporate partners to say they would have trouble preparing for the holiday season.

/me look forward for end-user system like dell and the like comming with Ubuntu for christmas.
That would put some spicy new stuff on the market for that christmas big sale time...

Kentaro
03-22-2006, 02:55 AM
Calm down, calm down.

It simply means the OS will be shipped in Jan "07" to store shelves.

OEM's(original equipment manufactorers) and others will have it on there desk tops and lap tops by early winter of "06".

if your getting a new pc its best to launch it with Vista anyway. Which is pretty much what Vista is made for.

Read the required specs.

Beamtracer
03-22-2006, 06:59 AM
Hehehe. I knew this. I wrote in these forums years ago that it would be released in 2007.

Array
03-22-2006, 08:05 AM
Argh. This sucks. I was going to wait until Windows Vista in order to decide if I was going to switch to mac or stick with PC. Now I dont know. Maybe I'll get an iBook or something to tide me over.

mrloco
03-22-2006, 02:51 PM
I think they just realized that the average consumer doesn't have a pc good enough to actually RUN the OS, so they just delayed it...jk. Honeslty, you have to take release dates with a grain of salt these days.

Signal2Noise
03-22-2006, 02:58 PM
I think they just realized that the average consumer doesn't have a pc good enough to actually RUN the OS, so they just delayed it...jk. ...

You know, there is some truth in that statement.

mummey
03-22-2006, 03:24 PM
How much you want to bet it will now have EFI support? (Hint: http://onmac.net/ )

-b

paintbox
03-22-2006, 03:42 PM
Argh. This sucks. I was going to wait until Windows Vista in order to decide if I was going to switch to mac or stick with PC. Now I dont know. Maybe I'll get an iBook or something to tide me over.

Same here, (except for the switching)

Do I buy a Sort-Of-Vista-Compatible(tm) PC now, which probably won't be compatible due to some last-minute changes, or do I wait untill Vista is actually in the wild.

mummey
03-22-2006, 03:43 PM
Same here, (except for the switching)

Do I buy a Sort-Of-Vista-Compatible(tm) PC now, which probably won't be compatible due to some last-minute changes, or do I wait untill Vista is actually in the wild.

Is there a reason you _need_ Vista?

I'm kind of surprised, except for those who always want the latest and greatest (ooo... shiny...), about how many are seriously putting their purchasing decisions around Vista. IMO, XP is a mostly-stable, mostly-secure OS which you would be ditching for this new OS which hasn't yet been tested in the real world.

If given the choice between something that gets the job done, and something that looks fancy doing it, I'd rather know that it works than it looks good.

CupOWonton
03-22-2006, 03:52 PM
The upside to that, it may force Apple out of the OS market and into hardware and support software. But damned if they'd let that happen. My guess is Apple may try and find ways to prevent this. That, and there isnt any virus scanner or firewall system specificly made to protect this kind of setup.

CupOWonton
03-22-2006, 03:54 PM
Is there a reason you _need_ Vista?

Halo 2 PC apparently. :sad: Wont run on anything else.

visualride
03-22-2006, 04:01 PM
Somehow the trend has been to drastically miss target release dates. I think that is just part of corporate strategy these days to say that a product will be released a year ahead of when it will actually be ready. At least Microsoft had the decency to let people know that it will be delayed, and give a tentative target release date, unlike companies such as Pixologic, that strings people along for years on zero answers, and empty promises.

richcz3
03-22-2006, 04:05 PM
I think they just realized that the average consumer doesn't have a pc good enough to actually RUN the OS, so they just delayed it...jk...I'm no MS basher here, but I've read the RAM requirements were anywhere 800MB to 1Gig for good performance (bells whistles and all). Not an issue for some types of businesses to upgrade but there are a whole slew of consumer PCs with 512MB or less. It will be quite a while before I leave XP Pro.

Bellorum
03-22-2006, 06:56 PM
Hehehe. I knew this. I wrote in these forums years ago that it would be released in 2007.
Good for you! :thumbsup:

:rolleyes:

mummey
03-22-2006, 08:53 PM
Good for you! :thumbsup:

:rolleyes:

There's a reason he's on my ignore list. Actually, there's plenty of reasons...

Beamtracer
03-22-2006, 10:13 PM
I wasn't gloating at the fact that Vista will be late, and don't want it to be late.

It was just amused to hear the announcement finally come, that I was expecting at any moment, that the software was running late.

Software always runs late.

I had previously said that Vista would be released in 2007, judging by the time frame of previous OS releases.

If you search through the technology news sites over the past 10 years or so, you'll see exactly the same pattern happening with previous OS releases. Application and hardware companies that "bet the farm" on an OS being released on a particular date are foolish, as they should know that software dates slip.

So, no, I don't like to see any software slip. But it was just a confirmation of what was expected.

UrbanFuturistic
03-22-2006, 10:50 PM
There are certain rules I try to follow with Operating Systems:

One of them is never rely on a point 0 release. This applies as much to Windows as it does to Linux. For the first few months especially I expect Vista to have some problem causing bugs that even the extensive BETA testing couldn't iron out so I'm going to wait some time and get it when I need to do something I can only do in Vista. In the meantime, XP.2 and OpenSuSE (yeah, it's a point 0, yeah it has a few problems) will do me fine.

Andyman
03-22-2006, 11:01 PM
"Software Will Be Delayed" is in the "Few Sure Things of Life" category along with "There's Always Someone To Argue With" and "It Will Always Cost More Than You Think."

CGTalk Moderation
03-22-2006, 11:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.