PDA

View Full Version : Using Z-position info for FX

th3ta
03-21-2006, 11:12 PM
Is there any way to use the Z-position in AE for FX. Something similiar to using the z-depth stored in an RPF sequence, but instead using the z-pos.

So say I had 100 layers, with all different Z-positions, and apply a blur to them, so that the ones with the lower z-pos got affectred more by the blur than the ones with a higher z-pos, or vice versa? Is this an expression solution, or is there some other way to do it? Or is it not even possible? Thanks guys.

Mylenium
03-22-2006, 05:40 AM
Is there any way to use the Z-position in AE for FX. Something similiar to using the z-depth stored in an RPF sequence, but instead using the z-pos.

So say I had 100 layers, with all different Z-positions, and apply a blur to them, so that the ones with the lower z-pos got affectred more by the blur than the ones with a higher z-pos, or vice versa? Is this an expression solution, or is there some other way to do it? Or is it not even possible? Thanks guys.

Yeah, expressions would work under certain conditions (layers mainly front-on). Another alternative might be using Depth Cue from Buena software that makes AE's 3D more work like in a 3D program.

Mylenium

Scott_Spengler
03-22-2006, 05:48 PM
Since you're in AE's 3d space, why not just use the AE camera's depth of field? That'd work great for blur.... for other effects you'll need to start linking effect parameters to Z positions.

th3ta
03-22-2006, 06:12 PM
Ill have to check out that software, Mylenium, sounds pretty cool. I figured the best way would be through expressions...oh well I guess its time to start reading up on it. Thanks for the help

Mylenium
03-22-2006, 07:05 PM
Since you're in AE's 3d space, why not just use the AE camera's depth of field?

Ah na, it's simply not good enough quality-wise and since it's also based on simple Z-sorting, it's prone to rendering errors (in addition to being terribly slow). The biggest problem possibly is that it won't properly spread your depth blur across a layer, giving away the illusion. Depth Cue is really much, much better as are alternative techniques such as using expressions or using a greyscale duplicate of your comp as a Z-Depth map for e.g. the Lensblur filter.

Mylenium

CGTalk Moderation
03-22-2006, 07:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.