PDA

View Full Version : using maya as a real time VJ show tool

lapinbily
03-21-2006, 10:20 PM
hello all

i' m into using maya for VJ shows, real-time .

i ve come up with a setup where things begin to act nicely , maya being remote controlled by MIDI using the mayaMIDI device driver . i'm stuck at the point where i want to trigger curve - based animations by playing a note . ive got it kinda working but not perfect .

here is where i'm at :

a note ( key 36 ) is attached to an attribute ( key36.rotateZ ) . when played , the value is set to the velocity of the note which comes back to zero on release .

so i made a goal attribute ( pTorus1.ltime_goal ) that gets incremented each time the note is played :
this is for telling how long i want my curve-based animation to be

if (key36.rotateZ > 0.10 ){
pTorus1.ltime_goal = pTorus1.ltime_goal -10;
}

if (key38.rotateZ > 0.10 ){
pTorus1.ltime_goal = pTorus1.ltime_goal +10;
}

Then i made a second attribute ( pTorus1.ltime ) that is moving towards this goal (This is the valus i'll use as time for the animation ) : here is the expression :

if (pTorus1.ltime > pTorus1.ltime_goal ){

pTorus1.ltime = pTorus1.ltime -1;

}

else {
if (pTorus1.ltime < pTorus1.ltime_goal ) {
pTorus1.ltime = pTorus1.ltime +1;
}
}

then i plug the result of the last expression into some curve .

the result i have is that when the timeline is stopped , the second expression gets evalued a random bunch of times (usualy between 2 and 4 ) so when ltime 's value is 0 and i press key 38, it becomes 4 or 5 ..

when time is running, the animation goes trough the curve, but does not match the intended result sometimes it does it right, sometimes it goes 3-4 times too far in the timing, in short i cannot predict for how many frames the animation is going to roll .

i know i've used some primitive expressions and wonder if i should use MEL instead of expressions , or if i can specify how often should the expression evaluate themselves ...

Thanx for any help on this .

Guilhem

tciny
03-21-2006, 11:40 PM
I didnt read all the way through your post (yet :)) but why Maya? Its rather slow and unflexible for the stuff you want to do. I think you'll be way better off using something like pd or max (not 3dsmax).

Bonedaddy
03-22-2006, 02:10 AM
I agree. Maya just seems like a bizarre choice for this, and not at all what you probably want to be using.

lapinbily
03-22-2006, 12:31 PM
thx for replies

tciny : i never heard of PD or MAX ... they look great but im afraind not to be able to model /animate things just as i want .. im trying to get something kinda similar to auterche's ganz graf i'll give it a shot anyway ..

i know maya isn' t probably the best way to go but i want to enjoy a full freedom of modelisation / animation . not just pile a bunch of pre - made FX together , trough PD seems a little more than this :)

besides, i almost got it working ...

lapinbily
03-22-2006, 12:44 PM
whoops double post

James Jacobs
03-26-2006, 12:42 AM
whoops double post
Or give this one a try

http://www.derivativeinc.com

-jj

CGTalk Moderation
03-26-2006, 12:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.