PDA

View Full Version : Disney Closes Unit Devoted to Pixar Sequels (Circle 7 is gone)

RobertoOrtiz
03-21-2006, 06:58 PM
Quote:
"The first casualty of Walt Disney Co.'s acquisition of Pixar Animation Studios came Monday when the Burbank entertainment giant shuttered a computer animation unit created to make sequels to such Pixar hits as "Toy Story" and "Finding Nemo." Thirty-two employees, or nearly 20% of the 168 artists, production managers and support staff, were told they would lose their jobs effective May 26. "

>>LINK<< (http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-pixarent21mar21,1,6383503.story)

-R

RockinAkin
03-21-2006, 07:03 PM
Very sad news... I wish good luck to all of the people getting laid off.

pogonip
03-21-2006, 08:14 PM
That's so wierd ? Why would you let go so many talented and trained artists ? Even if you don't have them working on Feature films they could be working on direct to video/dvd films based on Disney Liceneses . I know for a fact that there is a huge market for direct to dvd films because I have many friends with kids and they all buy there kids those type of " for children " type videos . Anyways no doubt everyone there is very talented and will bounce back ! Maybe get on at places with a little more stability :shrug: I don't know what's worse waiting for the axe to drop or it dropping ....

DaveW
03-21-2006, 08:26 PM
That's so wierd ? Why would you let go so many talented and trained artists ?

They're keeping 80% of the staff, just moving them to WDFA. The 20% that got laid off probably got laid off for a good reason, harsh as that may sound. I don't know exactly who got laid off but the rumor is it was mostly manager types that wouldn't be needed in WDFA, but the artists keep their jobs and are put on upcoming Disney films.

Shaderhacker
03-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Even if you don't have them working on Feature films they could be working on direct to video/dvd films based on Disney Liceneses .

Every film, whether direct-to-dvd or not, has to be greenlit first. There was nowhere to put them. I'm confident they did the best they could to keep as many as they could. If we were talking about other studios around the LA area, it would've been much worse.

-M

aaraaf
03-21-2006, 08:34 PM
As for the direct to video releases I've read that they're being scaled WAY back. Which is a REALLY good thing. Bambi 2? What purpose could there be to cheapen the name of one of the studio's greatest accomplishments. The Disney name will only mean something again when they are producing spectacles, and cutting back on the simply profit driven media. The new guys know this.

There are some good artists and technicians over there, and some of them are fellow CGTalkers.

rblitz7
03-21-2006, 09:30 PM
Im sure these guys were really talented so they should be getting new jobs relatively quickly, but its still a big bummer.:sad:

phexitol
03-22-2006, 12:30 AM
I'll try and think of a scathing comment after I finish eating my shoe ;p

That is sad, so many people laid off. Hopefully, the ones who really work hard will be able to find work elsewhere before too long. Except for that one guy. He needed to go.

DezFX
03-22-2006, 02:29 AM
...rumor is...

That's exactly correct...it was a rumor. With no truth to it at all. The people who are, as of right now, not being taken over to FA are mostly modelers and riggers. Simply because there are no openings on any other production for those people right now. It's not a reflection on them in any way. It's the basic fact that a show has a set number of positions to fill for modelers and riggers. When those spots are full, there is no more room. These people are still employeed by Disney Animation until the end of May. If any spots open over at Feature Animation, they will be the first ones looked at to fill those positions. The recruiting department at Disney is also doing everything they can to help these artists land a position with other companies. Our recruiters know other companies recruiters in the industry so they are helping people make contacts.

While the situation sucks to be put into, it's not a grim as it could be with other, less sympathetic companies out there...

chrisWhite
03-22-2006, 04:04 AM
Wow, so it's actually true this time. Good luck to all the Circle 7 guys, I'm glad to hear Disney is trying to do what they can for them.

DaveW
03-22-2006, 05:14 AM
Well it's too bad that the modelers and riggers are getting laid off. Not that it isn't a bad thing for managers to get laid off, I just have less sympathy for them due to my own experiences :) Hopefully it doesn't screw over too many foreigners with visas. It's not easy to get one and losing the visa and a cool job and having to leave the country has really got to sting.

NOOB!
03-22-2006, 08:02 AM
:sad: oh damn,hope everything works out for them

vfx
03-22-2006, 08:19 AM
Ouch this post really does proove how hard its going to get (not that its easy now lol) to acquire a full time position at Disney or PIXAR, if things are this tight right now, what would be the point in new talent sending in reels? Sorry to the guys who have lost their jobs,.. its all such a scary business and job security SHOULDN'T be this come and go in an industry that is raking in millions, or in fact billions.

Wow, I was in contacts with 2 disney agents a year ago, glad I didn't persue this harder...might have been me. Such a bummer.

Breinmeester
03-22-2006, 08:36 AM
Best of luck to the ones laid off... I'm glad Disney is very cautious and sympathetic in the matter.

As for the direct to video releases I've read that they're being scaled WAY back. Which is a REALLY good thing. Bambi 2? What purpose could there be to cheapen the name of one of the studio's greatest accomplishments. The Disney name will only mean something again when they are producing spectacles, and cutting back on the simply profit driven media. The new guys know this.

Profit is what helps artists keep their jobs. Not every feature animation can be a hit. It's good to have some solid product that keep a base of employees employed and makes a solid profit which can be depended on and doesn't call for freelance hiring. Such products can be direct to dvd movies, tv shows or commercials. I personally agree that I wouldn't like to see the good name of some Disney classics wasted on meager direct to dvd sequels. But companies trying to make profits aren't nessecarely merely greedy. It also keeps artists employed and their families well fed.

pearson
03-22-2006, 09:06 AM
I hope people who went to work there knew what they were getting into, and took appropriate precautions. They should have realized that if Disney and Pixar managed to patch things up that they would be in a tough spot. I mean, it was pretty widely rumored that the whole sequel business was just a ploy to put pressure on Jobs...

That said, it sucks to be out of work, even if you were prepared for it, so good luck to all those affected.

ArtisticVisions
03-22-2006, 01:39 PM
Can't say I'm really suprised to hear this news actually happen, but it's still sad to hear for those who lost their jobs.
Best of luck to you, Circle 7.

gunslingerblack
03-22-2006, 03:51 PM
everyone is treating this as if it's a bad thing. circle 7 was dissolved but, as previously mentioned 80 percent of the staff is still employed by disney i think it was only something like 30 people that lost thier jobs, and how it's sad that anyone loses thier job in the first place, noone can really say it wasnt coming. it was quite obvious that there would be a purge and it was speculated that those that didnt' make "the cut" would be let go. im happy to see so many people were kept by disney in the first place. good luck to all you guys in the future!

jewalker
03-22-2006, 06:10 PM
Only 30 people doesn't matter if you're one of the 30.

BillSpradlin
03-22-2006, 06:41 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens. I personally wasn't surprised by this after the Pixar buyout by Disney. The days of Eisner are over, but I'm wondering if that same mentality is still around at the big mouse. You know the same mentality that sucked everything out of Dreamquest and totally assimilated it. Letís hope Pixar doesn't follow suit, but I certainly won't be surprised if it does.

Resistance is futile.

beaker
03-22-2006, 06:50 PM
Sorry to the guys who have lost their jobs,.. its all such a scary business and job security SHOULDN'T be this come and go in an industry that is raking in millions, or in fact billions.I don't think you realize how the whole financial situation works. You can't pay 150 artists $1200-2500+ a week to sit around and do nothing. That burn rate is just way too high to sustain no matter how many millions of dollars your pulling in.

People in this industry made a decision to work in film. They didn't have to. People could easily done something less spectacular like graphics for web, print, etc...

keegan3d
03-22-2006, 06:59 PM
The first casualty of Walt Disney Co.'s acquisition of Pixar Animation Studios came Monday when the Burbank entertainment giant shuttered a computer animation unit created to make sequels to such Pixar hits as "Toy Story" and "Finding Nemo."

If you are a fan of Pixar this is more of a victory then a casualtyhttp://www.keegan3d.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Thirty-two employees, or nearly 20% of the 168 artists, production managers and support staff, were told they would lose their jobs effective May 26.

The remaining 136 will be absorbed into Disney's feature animation division and redeployed to work on such productions as "Meet the Robinsons," "Rapunzel" and "American Dog."

It is to bad that Disney could not transfer everyone to Disney's Feature http://www.keegan3d.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_sad.gif, but 32 out of 168 is not bad.

Disney had the right to make Pixar sequels under its previous distribution agreement. But its decision to move ahead irked Pixar executives, who worried that a botched effort would hurt their company's reputation.

All of that changed in January, when Disney agreed to buy Pixar for $7.4 billion. Disney CEO Bob Iger and Pixar Chairman Steve Jobs pledged that any Pixar sequels would be produced at Pixar's Emeryville, Calif., headquarters using artists who worked on the originals.

In addition, Disney's core animation operation will now be run by Pixar creative director John Lasseter — who directed "Toy Story" and whose next film, "Cars," is due out this summer — and Pixar President Ed Catmull.

Looks like this acquisitions will turn out ok because of the power that John Lasseter and Steve Jobs were given.

gunslingerblack
03-22-2006, 07:21 PM
Only 30 people doesn't matter if you're one of the 30.

does that make any sense to anyone?

i think it's a mistype if you meant

only 30 people doesn't matter if youre not one of the 30. then yes from that perspective i do agree.

however only 30 people from the perspective of being one of the 30. the perspective is this. there were people that were better than me, and now i need to find a job, but NOW i have the name Walt Disney Feature Animation and Circle 7 on my resume as long as thier reels are halfway decent i dont think those 30 will have much of a hard time finding jobs.

besides this is the way of the business, in alot of houses this is how it goes anyways, production ends and almost everyone gets laid off, ask the guys previously at blue sky they'll tell you.

even tho that statement is slightly off topic im just using it as an example that nothing in this industry is absolute, your going to get laid off its just a way of life, alot of moving around in the business and you can either accept it or not either way , thats the way it is in most cases.

the main point is that they kept alot more people than they could have, hell they couldve fired everyone, but it seems that they are trying to remain sane over at wdfa i think it's a good thing that the pixar guys are in control over there now, get disney back to it's roots.

(it's about damn time if you ask me)

vfx
03-22-2006, 08:10 PM
You can't pay 150 artists $1200-2500+ a week to sit around and do nothing.

Who the hell sits around all day?? Tell me what you do dude!? I have to work for my money.

...and yes perhaps thats why I've currently side tracked to web/graphics work - the money is very good! But, I think I'll still veer back simply because its more interesting and exciting - which the public also feels - thus such artists should be paid accordingly, not according to how much a company is willing to fork out for a website - afterall if all computer animation artists put down their mice, imagine how freaked out all the studios would get! Pay whats due in my book!

Pixlmonky
03-22-2006, 08:58 PM
Who the hell sits around all day?? Tell me what you do dude!? I have to work for my money.

What he meant was......Correct me if I am wrong......
A project only lasts "X" months. During that time, you get paid. When the project is over they don't need all those people, working on nothing (ie. sitting around all day). You only get paid if there is a project in production. If there is no project (no income) then there is no need for you. Many times companies have down time between projects and don't need a staff to "sit around all day". Would you continue to pay employees to work for you if you had no work for them to do, after a project is finished?

What he does? He could tell you better than I, but it is a lot. You can check IMDB if don't trust me. And he does work very hard. No need to jum on him like that.

beaker
03-22-2006, 09:41 PM
Simple misunderstanding. What Pixlmonky said is what I meant.

jewalker
03-23-2006, 05:55 PM
When I said "only 30 doesn't matter if you're one of the 30", I was responding to the statement "but only 30 people were laid off". Well, yeah, ONLY 30 people were laid off, but it sucks if you're one of the 30.

Do you seriously think that the people getting laid off are sitting there thinking, "it's okay that I just lost my job because they kept the better people, and this is a volatile industry so I expected it"?!? More likely they're thinking, "Oh $*&!. I have rent due and bills to pay, and no more income"

Now, Disney is giving them until the end of May (I think that's what I heard), and are working hard with other recruiters to get them placed in other positions. So there is a good chance that they will find a new job fairly quickly. However they are going from having a fairly stable job and income for the next year or so, to having no job or income in little more than a month. It took me almost 9 months for me to find my last job, so I sympathize with those people who are going through this.

gunslingerblack
03-23-2006, 06:38 PM
i was going to write some long winded response but, i'll just go with

it's better to face reality now than later

pearson
03-23-2006, 06:43 PM
Actually, I've wondered this for a while. Layoffs happen, and some jobs are for a single project only. Are most artists able to handle a few months without income? If you have a partner who works, it could make it less painful, but it still seems stressful, and if you're on your own... I've been fortunate to avoid that bullet, but I've known people who lost their house over this kind of thing. :(

Dennik
03-23-2006, 07:50 PM
I can't say i'm surprised. Company aquisitions require compani restructuring. Thats the nature of the beast. And since Pixar is the smalest company without a gram of fat in their body, somebody else has to do the liposuction. :) Hopefully there weren't many artists inside the 30 that got laid off. I wouldn't care less about the management staf.

vfx
03-23-2006, 09:25 PM
Hey beaker - wasn't jumping on ya, as suggested! LOL... Just got a giggle from the way you phrased your comment. :thumbsup:

asparapani
03-23-2006, 09:29 PM
No surprise realy. Awhile back when the Disney/Pixar relationship was going sour, it was in their interest to look outside of their comfort zone and search for capable (and some not) studios to produce movies. Hoping for the " little investment, big return". Now that they have acquired Pixar, they don't need those studios anymore.

It does suck, but it makes sense for Disney to let go of these satellite companies.

jjcoolio
03-28-2006, 10:47 PM
Sad to hear the news. Hope that everyone who got laid off could get good jobs soon.
Btw I hear that somethings happening in the game industry.. Besides EAs lay off, there were a lot of lay offs companies at redwood and I heard that a company called studio8(capcom) is closed. Correct me if i'm wrong..and could someone tell me whats going on in the game industry?

CGTalk Moderation
03-28-2006, 10:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.