PDA

View Full Version : XSI, Kaydara or Messiah?

neuromancer
12-19-2002, 07:08 PM
I'm starting to make character animation and I found the tools available really amazing. I had the chance to see 3 packages at work and they all seem incredible.
I don't have experience to determine which one is the best character animation package, but id you could pick, what would you choose? XSI 3.0, Messiah:Animate or Kaydara Motionbuilder? I know XSI is much more then "just a character animation tool. But I'm asking now only about character animation.

Any comment is welcome.
Regards,
Dean

Phearielord
12-27-2002, 10:08 AM
This is a really tough question.
The ones you mentioned are all good, except you missed out Maya, the most importent one of all.
As far as XSI goes, it is an up and coming app, with some really nice tool. The fact that you can mix IK and FK are really handy at times.
Messiah are very good for character animation, for that was what it was built for, its sole focus. The only problem with Messiah is that most of it is expression driven, so if you dont know expressions, you might struggle a bit.
The great thing about Kaydara is that almost everything is real-time. no matter how complex the scene is, it will almost always play realtime.
But while all of the above apps are really good with one thing or another, Maya still stands above the rest.
It is a well known fact that Maya's character animation tools are some of the best. It is very easy to use, with a huge range of functions you can use.

With that all said, I would go with Maya, but once again it comes down to personal preference.
How do you get along with the GUI?
How do you like the work flow?
I suggest spending a bit more time with all the above mentioned apps, and then pick your favourite, for they are all very close to each other in terms of strength.

Hope this helps

neuromancer
12-27-2002, 12:00 PM
I used so far Maya and Xsi for modelling and i can say i like both of them. Everyone of them has great tools. I can say I somehow prefer the interface and workflow of XSI but Maya has so many plug-ins and scripts that is hard to say whitch one of them is better.
I made some tests and so far I think I don't even need an alternative animation system out of XSI (or Maya).

thanx,
D

Lunatique
12-28-2002, 04:08 AM
Yeah, I don't see why you would need an animation standalone app when you have Maya and XSI--both are considered the best character animation/all around highend apps in the industry.

StateTheObvious
12-28-2002, 09:46 PM
Maya.

makkah_40
12-29-2002, 09:16 PM
XSI Definetly:thumbsup: :shame:

but you will have a bad bad time , to study and learn the application shortcuts and hotkeys .... etc etc

I am an XSI user , EX-3dmaxer :D :D , but i belive XSI is the best animation tool ever ( through my1year Experince yet:bounce: )

HTH

Michel Besner
12-30-2002, 03:43 PM
If you want to see what MOTIONBUILDER can do, you can buy a one year license for $100 (yes, you read right). This is an unrestricted, no watermark license for personal use and for freelancers (no valid for studios). This is available at 3Dbuzz (www.3dbuzz.com) for a limited time ...

M.