PDA

View Full Version : Softimage announces SOFTIMAGE|XSI v.5.1

wmendez
03-21-2006, 05:19 PM
For Immediate Release

Softimage announces SOFTIMAGE|XSI v.5.1

Update to industry-leading 3D character animation software focused on games pipeline interoperability; native COLLADA 1.4 support now included

Game Developer Conference 2006, San Jose (Booth #438) – March 21, 2006 – Softimage Co., a division of Avid Technology, Inc., today announced the latest update to the company’s flagship character production software - SOFTIMAGE®|XSI® v.5.1. This release offers a range of new features designed to simplify deployment and asset exchange for customers working on next-generation game titles and visual effects in mixed pipelines. Feature updates include native COLLADA 1.4 support, enhanced asset exchange with other applications and hundreds of other customer-driven enhancements.

“SOFTIMAGE|XSI is the most advanced character software available today, ideally suited for the development of next-gen titles. The unique features in XSI like the popular GATOR attribute transfer tool and the Ultimapper data map generator were designed in collaboration with some of the world’s top games studios,” said Gareth Morgan, senior product manager for Softimage. “XSI v.5.1 offers innovative character production tools for artists, backed up by the widest range of supported file-formats, standard scripting languages, and an extensive range of specialized C++ APIs for everything from plug-ins to pipeline deployment.”

Featuring unique, non-destructive workflow, SOFTIMAGE|XSI v.5.1 enables artists to make changes to rigged and animated characters at any point in the production cycle.

Highlights include:

Built-in COLLADATM 1.4 import and export of asset production for “PLAYSTATION®3”

SOFTIMAGE|XSI v.5.1 now includes COLLADATM 1.4 support. Released in January 2006, COLLADATM 1.4 is a standards-based interchange medium that enables 3D authoring applications to freely exchange digital assets - enabling multiple software packages to be combined into extremely powerful pipelines. COLLADA is the asset transfer format originally created by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. and is an open standard using UTF8 and XML. The COLLADATM specification is part of Khronos Group of standards. For more information, see the Softimage demo on the Khronos Booth #1632 at GDC or visit www.khronos.org (http://www.khronos.org/).

Additional real-time shader support

SOFTIMAGE|XSI v.5.1 now includes full support for the latest high-level real-time shading languages, including built-in authoring and display of Cg (.CgFX), COLLADA FX, HLSL (.FX) real-time shaders as well as support for SAS v.1.0, artists working on next-gen projects can visualize the final results in XSI viewports as they work.

SDK enhancements to enable mixed-pipeline deployment

SOFTIMAGE|XSI v.5.1 introduces a new custom operator architecture that dramatically simplifies the process of creating C++ and scripted operators. In all, over 200 new SDK features, commands, classes or functions have been added to improve customizability, including new menu anchor points in the main command panel and view manager.

SOFTIMAGE|FACE ROBOT™ v.1.0 scene support

SOFTIMAGE|XSI v.5.1 includes full compatibility with scenes created in SOFTIMAGE|FACE ROBOT v.1.0, the first production toolset for lifelike face animation. By ‘solving’ faces for animation and reducing preparation time, Face Robot allows animators to concentrate on sculpting the details of every expression for unforgettable digital performances.

Support for Autodesk® 3ds Max® & Maya® assets

With enhanced support for both import and export of assets from applications such as Autodesk 3ds Max and Maya, incorporating SOFTIMAGE|XSI v.5.1 into a games pipelines has never been easier.

Pricing and Availability

SOFTIMAGE|XSI v.5.1 is expected to be available at the end of March 2006. Customers who purchased any of the three packages of SOFTIMAGE|XSI v.5.0 software – Foundation, Essentials and Advanced will be able to download the upgrade at www.softimage.com/download (http://www.softimage.com/download).

New customers will be able to purchase SOFTIMAGE|XSI v.5.1 in the following configurations:

SOFTIMAGE|XSI v.5.1 Foundation will be available for $495 USMSRP from the Softimage web site (www.softimage.com/store (http://www.softimage.com/store)) or from authorized Softimage resellers.

SOFTIMAGE|XSI v.5.1 Essentials will be available for $1,995 USMSRP from authorized Softimage resellers.

SOFTIMAGE|XSI v.5.1 Advanced will be available for $6,995 USMSRP from authorized Softimage resellers.

Jennifer Goldfinch, Avid Technology, 514-840-0387, jennifer_goldfinch@avid.com

Felipe
03-21-2006, 05:39 PM
COOL ! Thx Softimage !

Now, where can we find a full list of the new features and bug fixes ?

Thank you,
Felipe

Signal2Noise
03-21-2006, 05:51 PM
What...no Face Robot included with the 5.1 release? :shrug:

;)

eMPeck
03-21-2006, 05:57 PM
I wonder when they'll fix that buggy .x export/import :shrug:

wmendez
03-21-2006, 06:00 PM
No Bug fixes listed yet but here is a complete feature list.

http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/pdf/softimage_xsi_v5.1_new_features.pdf

eMPeck
03-21-2006, 06:16 PM
3dsMAX key map ;) When I've finally learnt XSI default keyset :cool:

.dds support is more than great, updated realtime shaders too.

Please, fix .x export for me, and I'll be happiest XSI user in central & east Europe ;)

GSmiley
03-21-2006, 06:19 PM
I'm glad to hear XSI is focusing a lot of their updates on Next-Gen development. I'm thinking of using their software to do some game design, so this is good news to me.

SheepFactory
03-21-2006, 06:34 PM
Off to dl , thanks for the heads up!

PiotrekM
03-21-2006, 07:09 PM
softimage's first to hack freckin 3ds *.max format ?

bravmm
03-21-2006, 07:14 PM
SheepFactory:
"SOFTIMAGE|XSI v.5.1 is expected to be available at the end of March 2006"..
Or do you have a very slooooooooowww connection.... sorry couldn't resist :twisted:

SheepFactory
03-21-2006, 07:25 PM
lol yes , i should have read the whole page :p

thomaspecht
03-21-2006, 07:29 PM
softimage's first to hack freckin 3ds *.max format ?

don't think so. besides 3d exploration did it a long time ago already. max's format is more of a construction plan to rebuild the scene on load i guess. without access to all the modifiers you're pretty much lost unless your scene contains only collapsed meshes.
i guess it's more of an enhanced obj or fbx support or whatever.

i'm somewhat surprised to see that you can update foundation apparently for free? i thought that or better the lack of that option was the big catch with the lowcost version?

PiotrekM
03-21-2006, 07:38 PM
don't think so. besides 3d exploration did it a long time ago already. max's format is more of a construction plan to rebuild the scene on load i guess. without access to all the modifiers you're pretty much lost unless your scene contains only collapsed meshes.
i guess it's more of an enhanced obj or fbx support or whatever.

i'm somewhat surprised to see that you can update foundation apparently for free? i thought that or better the lack of that option was the big catch with the lowcost version?

3d exploration need 3ds max to read max format AFAIR

RayenD
03-21-2006, 07:53 PM
Built in point oven is a good thing. Hopefully few problems with UV tiles and displacement maps from ZBrush are fixed too.

eMPeck
03-21-2006, 08:02 PM
3d exploration need 3ds max to read max format AFAIR
Not exactly true. Newest versions of Deep (3d) Exploration, require 3dsMAX instal, and uses dotCOM (as I remember correctly) plugin to load .MAX scene, bud some (very) old versions were able to parse .MAX file, and load scene just by reading file. I think it was 3dsMAX R3 or R4 files, but I can't remember right now.

mikeha
03-21-2006, 10:29 PM

This is not true at all. .1 or .2 point releases were free before, when they went from 4.0 to 4.2. And 5.0 to 5.01 was free as well. And, they did have a promotion on 5.0 FND for owners of 4.0 FND, I didn't have to pay full price to get 5.0 FND.

kennez
03-22-2006, 07:56 AM
Am I correct in thinking that this is a free update then? I bought the academic version, so I cannot get a contract in order to get the updates.

JDex
03-22-2006, 08:22 AM
Am I correct in thinking that this is a free update then? I bought the academic version, so I cannot get a contract in order to get the updates.

You are correct.

leigh
03-22-2006, 08:25 AM
Hmmm there are definitely some nice new additions here! I am particularly interested in the sharing of assets with Maya... will have to check this out ASAP :thumbsup:

MJV
03-23-2006, 11:47 PM
Edit: Comment withdrawn for being needlessly negative.

Mazer
03-24-2006, 10:20 AM
So.. any info on what "asset's" can you share ?

Obizzz
04-04-2006, 08:21 PM
cool news, gotta check it out then.. haven't really had the time :)

CGTalk Moderation
04-04-2006, 08:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.