PDA

View Full Version : render station ideal settings ..

oneczech
03-21-2006, 04:35 PM
Hi there,

simple question ... tried to find some posts with hardware settings using the search but ...

I was given this specification by my maya dealer to get this computers for a small render farm yet some others say i could get a less powerful station for less money and still get the job done fairly in real time ... since it is only a render ...

Dual AMD Opteron 270, 2GHz Dual-Core, 4GB RAM, 80 GB HDD
(should be equal to 4 CPUs I was told)

or something less expensive

ADM Athlon 64 X2, 2.2Ghz Dual Core, 2GB
RAM

what are the most important things about a "good" computer for only rendering? what to focus on and what to boost as oppose to things that do NOT need to be included .. I thing these settings are kinda too much, but what do i know ....

get the most powerful CPU (dual, right?), disk storage and memory ... do I need a lot of memory when it just renders and I do NOT need to use the comp for any active work???? .... I'm looking for a balanced solution for a small PC render farm for short TV animations (only PAL resolution for 30sec to 1min, Maya Software) ... and need something powerful yet relatively inexpensive .. as always:-)

... I know this question is really subjective, if you know what I mean, but I wonder about some of your experience with small oneman studio and rendering setups ..

THANK YOU

alejandro_m1
03-21-2006, 05:25 PM
First the options you are giving are a bit different in costs, the dual opteron 270 with 4 gb ram could cost as much as 3 render nodes with X2 4200+

For a render farm I would recommend to go for a higher number of nodes instead of just a single powerful dual dual core.

What are the important things in a render node? First the processor, the more powerful the better, but in a budget I would advice to buy the X2s or better go for a dual core 1xx opteron, they are dual core (two processors in one) they are powerful, stable and one thing really important for having many render nodes: not expensive.

The next thing would be memory, you donīt need to have a lot of memory in a render node, just go for 2 gb and all your work should render perfectly, most apps doesnīt even use above 2 gb right now and since you will only render with them that should be more than enough (my render nodes have 1gb ram and they can render millions of polys without a hassle, but still I would advice for 2gb if you have huge scenes)

Disk storage is one of those things you donīt really need in a render node (well except for the space you need to install programs and the OS of course), go for something small here 40gb should be more than enough, IMO Western Digital or Maxtor work like a charm and get SATA.

For the motherboard get something that comes with internal video and audio since you donīt need a powerful video card in there, you just need Maya to be able to open and then leave everything to the processor, you donīt even need sound just that it usually comes with the motherboard. Again I have to give advice on my experience, MSI K8NGM2-L comes with all you could need including Gigabit Ethernet that is a most. Also it is Micro ATX so you could put it inside a SFF case to save some space. Get a good case though since they will be on and rendering most of the time, so you want low temps there.

oneczech
03-22-2006, 08:07 AM
VERY WELL ... Thank you Alejandro ... good piece of advice there:-)

CGTalk Moderation
03-22-2006, 08:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.