PDA

View Full Version : pod racer setup

Trex2001
03-21-2006, 01:57 PM
hey there,

im trying to setup a pod racer (star wars, of course).

Now what i want the cabel/rope connecting the engine with the cockpit to move as real as possible.

i thought about bones with a spline IK but never used that before. Would that be the right approach or should i use normal IK??

Thanx
Trex2001

csc2h
03-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Ok, ive done a pod racer before...I will not post a complete HOW TO on it because its a little lengthy but not too bad...Basically you use Dynamic Constraints on the pod with Maya's Dynamic system... what I CAN do, is tell you where to find a step by step walkthrough of how they did the podracer in the movies.... there is a book out right now in the "Learning Maya 7" series called THE SPECIAL EFFECTS HANDBOOK.... there is step by step tutorial on how to use rigid bodies to setup a pod racer in this book and its pretty easy to follow...I high recommend getting this book, a lot of very good production information in the book...hope that helps some...

Triple-Q
03-22-2006, 05:51 PM
you can also just make the joints and ik handle and set a key for the cockpit and maybe even a key from pod to the thruster that are connected to the engines.

wigal
03-22-2006, 06:01 PM
I woudl indeed use a spline Ik system.... but also would turn the spline thats drives the bone into a softbody. Then I would connect the resulting particles with springs, one springs system for the rope itself and another to connect the rope to the engine etc....

hope that helps

Trex2001
03-23-2006, 11:53 AM
thanks everybody so far, ill give it a try and see what i get. still open for suggestions, so...

Triple-Q
03-23-2006, 11:22 PM
There is actually a whole dvd about how to make a simple pod racer just like in the movie starwars...

www.digital-tutors.com (http://www.digital-tutors.com/) It was very helpful to me.

this is for the podracer :)

http://www.digitaltutors.com/store/product.php?productid=19&cat=64&page=1

CGTalk Moderation
03-23-2006, 11:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.