PDA

View Full Version : ROBERTO'S BULLHORN: DUNE Week....So Jay or Nay?

RobertoOrtiz
03-21-2006, 06:42 AM
So do you guys wnat to do this or not?

What special rules should we apply to this, so it does NOT kill the forum?

_R

Princess Irulan:

A beginning is a very delicate time. Know then, that is is the year 10191.

The known universe is ruled by the Padishah Emperor Shaddam the Fourth, my father. In this time, the most precious substance in the universe is the spice Melange. The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel. The Spacing Guild and its navigators, who the spice has mutated over 4000 years, use the orange spice gas, which gives them the ability to fold space. That is, travel to any part of the universe without moving. Oh, yes. I forgot to tell you. The spice exists on only one planet in the entire universe. A desolate, dry planet with vast deserts. Hidden away within the rocks of these deserts are a people known as the Fremen, who have long held a prophecy that a man would come, a messiah, who would lead them to true freedom.

The planet is Arrakis, also known as Dune.

More details soon.

-R

ButchMakora
03-21-2006, 07:32 AM
wonderfull theme for a topic-seria! thanks! but pleeeeeease! stop killing our inspiration with time-limits! we can see how many people started lay out their art-works now - WITH time limits... but can we see really interesting works there?! fast? yes! more works? yes! gorgeus arts? NO!!! hell, NO!

i don't have a nice tablet (wacom and like that) or skill of concept sketching - so i really need MORE time for realizing my ideas in colors, lines... with time limits like 20-40 minutes i don't even want to try... 1-2 hours not less for good sketches.

Mu
03-21-2006, 08:41 AM
ButchMakora - I think it's a bit harsh to say that anyone is killing your inspiration with time limits:rolleyes: - also, please re-read the rules: you may spend five hours or days on your sketch if you feel you need them. Just go and post a WIP of what your sketch looked like at the timelimit's end.

See?

Roberto - I am all for it. But could we delay this a little so I could read the book first? It is strange that you bring this up now, as I just watched the start of the movie the other day and felt like I did not want to spoil the read with a preoccupied mind. So I stopped watching it. Just 2 or 3 weeks?

What would be a single day's theme?
Maybe we could pretend we had to do concept sketches for a movie this time around? Like,

- design the clothing of house so-and-so
- design the architecture of this/that city
- do character concept sketches for the following characters
- do concept sketches of the worms in fight and in transport situations (I did watch it a little bit too far, I guess...:D )

So, a bit like we had to churn out the concepts real quick for an actual movie project.

Anyone?

Overchord
03-21-2006, 01:19 PM
While I've loved pretty much every sci-fi under the sun - Dune has never really "clicked" for me. I have watched the film (3 attempts fell asleep the first two times), but not read the book - that's probably where the mistake lies :D - So in conclusion - don't mind if i goes ahead, but not really that hooked on it either :shrug:

Freakwncy
03-21-2006, 02:50 PM
I say Jay, and I've never read the book, nor saw the movie... But I like Sci-Fi so I'm down... Plus I like Mr. Mu idea w/ the concept drawings.. a la " Ryan Church" http://ryanchurch.com/index.htm ... maybe... good stuff...

I LOVE THIS SITE!!!

The Branch
03-21-2006, 03:14 PM
Hey all,

I'm afraid that I must agree with ButchMakora. I do sketches to improve my drawing skills. The time limits have become an obstacle to that goal. I realize you can spend as much time as you want, but I'm not going to work for 20 minutes then scan the image and post it. What's the point, right? So many people are struggling to do quality work in 40 minutes, in 20 the work looks like the dog's breakfast for majority of us who aren't pro-like. If you can do a lousy sketch in 20 minutes, what does that prove? If you want to improve, and I think that most on here want to become better, you'd be better off spending more time and doing it properly. That's my thinking, but majority rules and it seems that time limits are here to stay.
I'm interested in this, though. I hope I can find time to do some work on it.

The Branch.

RobertoOrtiz
03-21-2006, 04:40 PM
Under the new rules if the dateline say that it takes 20 minutes, and you do it
in 60 you can still post it.

Just post whatever you have done by the 20 minute mark, AND THEN post the final piece.
The key of the time limit is to get people to get faster.
:)

-R

jmBoekestein
03-21-2006, 08:33 PM
Grea idea! powerful imagery, the Dune characters. blue in blue eyes. I say yay! :scream: :thumbsup:

billcunningham
03-21-2006, 08:50 PM
I say yes, let's do it... but I wouldn't mind if were even just one sketch a week with a Dune theme for a while, or even a subset thread of Daily Dune sketches for a week... I'd hate to kill someone else's enthusiasm for the exercise if they haven't read/don't like the subject matter.

I LOVE it though, and have been anxiously awaiting the beginning of this extraviganza since you first floated the idea.

And, just my 3 cents about time limits... as an exercise they are a good idea. I know it can be very frustrating to see how poorly something looks after you've worked on it for such a short time, but you kind of really have to do alot (a whole lot) of cruddy short throw-away sketches before you start to develop the real skills.

You can labort over a single sketch for hours, but it will not really help improve your skills as much as doing alot of shorter sketches.

This is my experience, at least. As an exercise, faster is better.

JTD
03-21-2006, 09:23 PM
Yes, do it. The themes have pros and cons like everything in life, but we all saw this one coming and the response has been positive. It's not going to kill the forum because many of us recognize that we need this forum to kick our collective lazy asses in gear.

In the end it's not about time limits or themes, it's about practicing.

First rule of DSF Club: You talk about the DSF Club

Second rule of DSF Club: You talk about the DSF Club

MechaHateChimp
03-21-2006, 09:51 PM
Hell yes. I'm in.

daw
03-22-2006, 10:21 AM
JAY! from me...

trialanderror
03-22-2006, 12:23 PM
Absolutely Jay from me, simple because I draw a lot and this is for fun and challenge where there comes all together what we have learned so far. But I think it takes some time for us newbies as every stroke has to be well thought. My hope is to improve visibly after few weeks of participation, if not, well... then I still have gained a new insight...

mybutterflyiris
03-22-2006, 03:58 PM
First of all I'm not all for theme weeks...they happen too often. Also, I know nothing about Dune...and I do mean nothing, nada, zilch, squat! Thusly, I am not really condoning it. However, if that's what the people's want go for it; I gues it will mean I'll just have to be more creative or sit out for a week...I don't know, depends on the actual topics. :shrug:

Sneakybunny
03-22-2006, 08:32 PM
J to the A to the Y. (yes please)

Dear Rob,
its becoming clear some people are really keen to do this and other arent so. Whats the chances if you do choose to post this topic Dune. Could it be a Sticky thread for a week or two and post the other threads post as normal as well?

so dune topic + another topic per day for 2 weeks?, with the other topic be a normal everyday thread.

so the people who know about dune and the creatures, technology and races can have a good amount of time to create with no time limit wether its one super dooper one or a bunch of them for the thread.

i know 2 weeks sounds long but i dont know about everyone else on DSG but doing this cg challenge + work and sleep doesnt let me see to much sunlight these days(spare time).

phew thats my 2.3 cents worth,
From jay

mrloco
03-22-2006, 08:36 PM
I haven't read the book, otherwise I would be up for it.

P.S. I really want to participate in the dsg more often but I just don't have the time...

RobertoOrtiz
05-08-2006, 05:37 AM
Ok I am going to bring this idea back from the dead.

And I want to do something EPIC with it....

I recommend people that if you can, RENT THE DVD of the 1984 movie.

-R

RobertoOrtiz
05-08-2006, 02:48 PM
bump

bump

CGTalk Moderation
05-08-2006, 02:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.