PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a camera angle

lehthanis
03-21-2006, 02:02 AM
http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/7598/angles2ts.th.jpg (http://img371.imageshack.us/my.php?image=angles2ts.jpg)

I'm REALLY not liking angle 1, but I left it anyways.
Angle 2 is what I've been working with up until this post.
Angle 3 is sort of from a suggestion in the lighting thread.
Angle 4 I think may be my favorite thus far, but I'm not sure.

There's more modelling that has to happen of course, and more fine tuning of the details. But its coming along.

Edit: The thing is a brain in a tub of water, with tentacles and tendrils. The water is solid in this pic of course.

Yacomo
03-21-2006, 01:58 PM
My vote goes to camera 2. Maybe even try to move the camera slightly further to the left (hence so that the 'brainpool' moves a bit further right).
I often find scenes more eye-catching if they are slightly imbalanced, i.e. if their main subject is not exactly in the center of the scene.

I like angle 2 better than angle 4 mainly because the column in the foreground to the left of the scene adds additional depth. Another option could be to try moving the columns so that you achive a similar effect of depth with angle 4.

Just my two cents of course :)

lehthanis
03-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Since it sat here for a while and I got impatient, I went ahead with angle 4..BUT, have modelle din a passageway between the two columns on the left in that angle...I'll render a few tests and see how well it works, but I'm givign the scene a lot more depth because its not goign to be blackness behind it after all.

silvia
03-21-2006, 09:12 PM
What kind of impression are you trying to give the viewer? Who's the observer?
If the alien brain is a terrifying monster and we are supposed to be scared and repelled, I suggest a variation of 3, but with the camera positioned even lower, to make it more menacing.
If we are the mad scientist that created the mutant brain, then a shot from above, maybe with the camera tilted at an odd angle to give it a more edgy, "deranged" feel.
If the alien brain is our good friend and we are happy to see it, then 1 is good, with the camera at the same level of observer and subject, it's a more relaxed point of view, and close enough to show we are comfortable in the presence of the subject.
I hope what I said made any sense to you.

JeremyJessup
03-21-2006, 09:15 PM
I'm not sure what look you're going for, but the camera angle in shot 3 is much lower than the others and seems to put you on a similar level with the Brain, giving you a slightly more ominous feel since you (as the viewer) are almost presented as a participant in the scene rather than as an observer.

Looking forward to seeing the finished image... lots of potential in this.

lehthanis
03-21-2006, 10:05 PM
I think the view is probably a bit more mad scientist/curious onlooker...Its a scene that is meant to be viewed as a tribute to the Illithid society versus potential food...

I want the water to be visible...mainly because I'm goign to TRY and have some baby illithid tadpoles swimming around in it, and thats actually important.

jeremybirn
03-22-2006, 01:51 AM
I want the water to be visible...mainly because I'm goign to TRY and have some baby illithid tadpoles swimming around in it, and thats actually important.

In that case, #1 looks good. (Except for the really not liking it part, I mean. :sad: )
-jeremy

lehthanis
03-22-2006, 02:58 AM
Reason I didn't really like it is because it doesn't show the whole scene.

silvia
03-22-2006, 03:02 AM
You need to chose what's more important, the brain in the water with the tadpoles or showing the room in its entirety? Once you decide that you will know what camera angle is best.

playmesumch00ns
03-22-2006, 09:56 AM
You mentioned in your other thread that you're trying to use the rule of thirds to guide your composition, but I think this might be causing you to make poor compositional choices.

In all of those images apart fropm number 1, you've got the main part of the scene (the brain and the tentacles) in the bottom corner of the frame. It's like it's about to fall of the image, and the frame is filled by black space and boring columns.

Number 1 is by far the most interesting. I'd be inclined to lower the camera even more and use a wide-angle lens to give a bit more of a sense of drama.

lehthanis
03-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Ok, well, since I seem to be getting a lot of push to use # 1, I'll try that and see what I can come up with...I'm moving on to more texturing now also...so I'm kinda spread out.

I adjusted camera angle 1 a little and I'm wondering what I should do with the backdrop? should it fade to black past all the columns or should I put something back there?

I'll have an updated render here shortly with some experimentation with angle 1 and a wider FOV.

lehthanis
03-22-2006, 03:00 PM
I know the texturing/UV's needs a LOT of work and is currently very boring and very drab...this was a general test render of new water shader (wanted it to glow a little) and new camera angle. The texturing of the stone is pretty much just a placeholder.

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/2467/brain95jj.jpg

jeremybirn
03-23-2006, 02:02 PM
You could do better.

Cropping in the middle of something (especially the middle of the tip of the top tendril, but also the middle of the light on the right) draws attention and doesn't seem necessary.

The screen left column doesn't need to be in the shot, it looks as if it's only there for the sake of being symmetrical, but why would we want to be symmetrical?

Could probably be a little closer to the water, even if you lost some of the foreground floor. People can complete the bottom of the tank in their heads, you don't even need to show all of that.

-jeremy

lehthanis
03-24-2006, 01:41 PM
Thank you so much for the great suggestions and awesome advice.

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/7976/camera12ok.th.jpg (http://img99.imageshack.us/my.php?image=camera12ok.jpg)

How's that?

Also, I'm open to suggestions on what to texture those glyphs with...and I'm still not happy with the way the lighting is working. It fees so drab, and I want magical.

Like this, but purple instead of blue. http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/lom_gallery/88110.jpg

TJKrumm
04-10-2006, 06:45 AM
I think a shot with one of the columns in the foreground makes the shot a little more interesting... you said mad scientist/curious onlooker for the view, so if you had a colum in the foreground you could make look as if the onlooker is peaking at it around the corner... I think this gives the brain a little more mystery as well as throws it off balance and little bit away from the symetrical look you have now. You also might want to try a more direct light source... the purple column lights are nice but the multiple shadows they are casting are a little confusing and more contrast could help make it a little more dramatic... the color scheme isn't bad at all but I'd suggest trying to use some slight complimentary colors of the main scheme to fill out your color pallet... just my suggestions, very start though

CGTalk Moderation
04-10-2006, 06:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.