PDA

View Full Version : WIP car "Trabant 601 - X" ( db-tuning)

BASSit
03-05-2002, 10:13 PM
Here is a wip car i started last night. I would like to hear some suggestions on a reflection-material... it really looks crappy on the second picture ! Did someone know some good working settings ? I am using 3D MAX 4.

http://image-identity.com/source/trabbi_1.jpg

xynaria
03-05-2002, 10:19 PM
Try playing around with fall off maps in the reflection and specularity channels perhaps :)

diazgl
03-05-2002, 11:14 PM
try to use less reflection than the second picture, and more than the first. Specularity is sort of off, you need to increase that, and The car looks too "clean" If you're trying to make it look cartoonish, lower glossiness a lot, and remove some diffusion (i'm talking in LW terms, don't know if this applies to MAX)

ToddD
03-06-2002, 02:05 AM
Bassit, if you put a falloff map (as suggested) it will help your reflections. 1st create the material, then go to maps-reflection, click, select raytrace(for example, I like this 1 for this project), then click basic material extensions, reflectivity/opacity map, click the slot, choose falloff. Adjust to your liking, either perp/parrallel, or fresnel work well. Only other thing I would do is set a self illuminated plane above the car, just out of cameras view, it will create some cool reflections.:D

FrageNSTEIN
03-06-2002, 06:27 AM
I use Brazil, so I'd have to mess with it to see what works, and you probably don't let others ever touch your max files, even trustworthy dudes like me.

Just experiment.

D

ToddD
03-06-2002, 06:57 AM
If you use Brazil, you can do the same, just put the falloff map in the Reflect slot and try the same technique.:D
No raytrace obviously!

xynaria
03-06-2002, 07:04 AM
Also with the Brazil Material the reflection slots have three oprtons in the main panel that are accessed by clicking on 'reflect' Numerical value, Colour value and Fresnel.. this has not the control of a fall off map but will work pretty similar to using a fall off map with default settings in fresnel mode.
Reason I suggest also using a fall off map in the specualrity slot is it can help loose that default specular shine that screams cg at the top of it's voice. :)

Aarkon
03-06-2002, 08:12 AM
at nevilBlevins.com their are some great tuts on faking radiosioty and several others on difrent texturing teqniques try that

BASSit
03-06-2002, 05:40 PM
Thanks for your help, guys !!! I really appreciate this ! I will try all that and will post an update, if it interests you (i donīt want to fill this forum with unwanted stuff ;)

Have to work now :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.