PDA

View Full Version : PSD Export - after effects - compositing

opreska
03-20-2006, 09:03 PM
Okay,

I've got a question about the PSD Export option (under image processing).
I'm able to import in a Photoshop sequence into after effects from Lightwave. It's given me all the options to tweak the specularity, shadows etc. However, my big question is, THERE's NO ALPHA!! I've gone through all the options but I don't see any alpha option. Anybody have any ideas? Plus, your tips on exporting these types of multilayered files would help as well, since I'm still a bit new to this compositing/multilayer file process.

monovich
03-20-2006, 09:45 PM
try bringing in the sequence again, but this time flattened (footage), and see if there is an alpha.

opreska
03-20-2006, 09:48 PM
Nope, still doing the same thing...

opreska
03-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Does it have anything to do with the custom range sliders?

Bonzodogboy
03-20-2006, 10:07 PM
You should have .psd 32 selected in your render options-> output files...

opreska
03-20-2006, 10:22 PM
You should have .psd 32 selected in your render options-> output files...

No, I understand that part.

What I'm trying to do is export out a photoshop sequence with the PSD export option (under the image processing controls). (ctr+F8 --> Add Image Filter --> Photoshop PSD Export)
I've been successful with importing in the layered image sequence, however, I'm not having much luck with the alpha channel. Is there some way I can save out the alpha as a seperate file and link it in to the After Effects comp? Could some one do a simple test with a ball and see if they are getting the same results. (I'm on LW 8.3 running the latest AE )

Oh,
I am able to bring in the file into Photoshop, and it does contain the alpha, so it's looking like it's more of an After Effects issue.

cgeveryday
03-20-2006, 10:33 PM
PSD exporter has never included the alpha as far as I am aware. You have to render the thing out seperately. ?? why ?? who knows!

opreska
03-20-2006, 10:37 PM
How would I go about rendering out seperately. My goal was to be able to tweak the reflections, shadows, specularty etc in individual layers in After Effects. I'm able to do that, just no alpha. So, if this PSD exporter doesn't supply an alpha, what should I do then to get the same results with the alpha I so desire.

jeremyhardin
03-21-2006, 12:50 AM
why not just render an alpha image sequence at the same time from LW?

monovich
03-21-2006, 01:23 AM
you don't need to render out a seperate file.

I opened a scene, added a sphere, added the PSD export under image processing, set my output file, hit F9, opened After Effects, imported the test render file as a merged file (not a composition) and viola!; the alpha imported fine.

if you've tried this, and it didn't work, then maybe check your steps again(?)

If you import the file as a composition, you won't get the alpha because compositions can't "have" an alpha channel per-say.

It seems the solution to your probem is to import the sequence twice: once as a merged file /w alpha, and once as a composition sequence. You can use track mattes or "set matte" later to matte the layered composition sequence with the alpha of the flattened sequence.

or... did you already do all that?

opreska
03-21-2006, 04:10 PM
you don't need to render out a seperate file.

I opened a scene, added a sphere, added the PSD export under image processing, set my output file, hit F9, opened After Effects, imported the test render file as a merged file (not a composition) and viola!; the alpha imported fine.

if you've tried this, and it didn't work, then maybe check your steps again(?)

If you import the file as a composition, you won't get the alpha because compositions can't "have" an alpha channel per-say.

It seems the solution to your probem is to import the sequence twice: once as a merged file /w alpha, and once as a composition sequence. You can use track mattes or "set matte" later to matte the layered composition sequence with the alpha of the flattened sequence.

or... did you already do all that?

:thumbsup: Yes, the track mattes!! I've never used track mattes before, wow, they work like a charm! -Thanks Monovich, I owe you one!:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2006, 04:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.