PDA

View Full Version : Lighting an Interior Scene with Flipped Normals

peterhogg
03-20-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm very new to 3D, I've been trying to follow this tutorial (http://www.cgarchitect.com/resources/tutorials/smoke3d/tutorial13.asp) loosley to make a very simple interior room. It is more of a modelling tutuorial than a lighting tutorial, but my problem is to do with lighting th scene. I want to have sun streaming in threw the window, however when I place my target directional light toward my window at an angle in which it will hit the floor with ray traced shadows turned on it seems to ignore the walls and the window shape and simply cast a large circular shape on the floor.

I'm pretty sure that I'm getting this problem because the cube in which I have made my room has flipped normals (so i can work inside the cube) meaning that the light is not affected by the outer walls because in a sense they don't exist.

Here is a picture of my scene (if it helps at all, but it is very simple):

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/7906/room3lr.png

Is their a way I can change it so that the face with the window does affect the light on the outside of the room? Or will I have to start again using seperate shapes for each wall so that their is no need to flip any normals?

What is the best way to achieve an interior space that is affected by exterior lighting?

Thanks, any help would be really appreciated!

Peter

NoshDir85
03-28-2006, 09:23 PM
This problem can usually be solved when you check the box "Force 2-sided" in the render window (F10).

My problem comes when I apply a volume light and want it streaming through the windows, I can get it to work with shadow maps, but it doesn't with raytraced shadows. Anyone know about this?

daragh
03-30-2006, 03:05 PM
change the light from circular to rectangular and fit this into to the window..should cast a rectangular light hot spot on the floor...

CGTalk Moderation
03-30-2006, 03:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.