PDA

View Full Version : DOSCommand without popup? (and retrieve data?)

scorpion007
03-20-2006, 07:05 AM
Hi,
Is there a way to run a dos command from max without it popping up the dos window?
Also, if the dos command outputs a string to stdout, is there a way i can retrieve its value from maxscript rather than just getting whether it succeeded or not?

Hope its possible.

j-man
03-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Hello,

I don't know about stopping the window popping up, I think this is more a windows thing rather than a max thing.

I would consider writing your dos commands to a *.bat and then executing that file. Remember, you can get a batch file to output to a text file also, and then you could read this file to see the output.

Josh.

magicm
03-20-2006, 02:15 PM
You can output the results of a command to a file using the > character. If you use this option you can use maxscript to read this output file.

eg. dir >tmp.txt

AFAIK the command window cannot be supressed. I remember someone posting a plugin that replaces 'doscommand' on the autodesk forums, maybe you'll be able to find it there:

http://support.discreet.com/webboard/wbpx.dll/~3dsmax

Cheers,
Martijn

JHaywood
03-20-2006, 05:50 PM
AFAIK the command window cannot be supressed. I remember someone posting a plugin that replaces 'doscommand' on the autodesk forums, maybe you'll be able to find it there:

It's called hiddenDosCommand. I couldn't find it on the webboard, so I'm attaching it here.

scorpion007
03-20-2006, 11:55 PM
Ah, thank you, I will try it out.

CGTalk Moderation
03-20-2006, 11:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.