PDA

View Full Version : Do your AE freeze on big scene?!

tfortier
03-19-2006, 11:02 PM
mine do... damn...

AE is using constantly 50% of the cpu usage except in render... It freeze for like one minute when playing with vectorial stuff or big comp but when I didnt purge for a while it can freeze for like one hour... pretty bad if I didnt save before... its a restart case...

here my spec; Dual Xeon 3gb of ram, 3gb swith enabled... XP pro

Memory pref;

Maximum memory usage : 90%

Maximum RAM cache size 70%

Disk cache disabled

question; Is choosing an AMD 64bit workstation avoid that memory problem? (just curious... cause no money for that!)

thanks

ps: the scene im working on is gigantic... a 6 minutes corporative video with tons of elements...

2a03
03-20-2006, 12:04 AM
I work with some pretty heavy 2k rez comps, with 3k source footage and lots of CPU intensive effects and I have not had problems like that... sometimes it takes about a minute to save but thats it.... And I only have a X2 4400 with 2gb RAM on 32bit XP..... Do you have a complex composition thats 6 minutes long?! If so... thats probably causing the problem... You can try breaking it up into 30sec compostions... I try to limit my compositions to 10 second lengths... Also if you want to speed things up spread the comps across multiple project files... For example I'm working on a film in which the current sequence might have 50 shots in it which would mean 50 compositions in AE... I'll have one project file for comps 1-20 another for 21-40 and so on....

tfortier
03-20-2006, 12:41 AM
And what about the AE cpu performance behavior; do it keep around 50% when working? or constantly flow between 0 and 100%?

beenyweenies
03-20-2006, 07:03 AM
And what about the AE cpu performance behavior; do it keep around 50% when working? or constantly flow between 0 and 100%?

Without knowing more specifics about your project (which you should post - such as what effects you are using, whether everything is in one composition or subcomps, etc) it would be hard for anyone to give an accurate answer.

But going on what you've said, I am suspecting several possible culprits. If all your layers are in one giant comp (as in dozens or hundreds of layers with no sub-comping), you may have effects applied that are trying to calculate, but can't ever get there because your composition is just too much. Try pressing the caps-lock key which throws a red box around your preview window, telling you it has stopped previews. If your CPU is still running at 50% then something is terribly wrong. In this case it could be a driver issue, a CPU problem, a graphics card issue, etc. etc.

In order to help more, you should tell us all effects being used, whether it is all in one comp or broken out into sub-comps, about how many layers/comps you have going, and what resolution (NTSC? PAL? HDTV?) your project is. Also which version of After Effects, including any updates you have installed.

2a03
03-20-2006, 07:58 AM
Yeh when I have a big project open my CPU is pegged at %50 even when I'm not doing anything... Ok I just found out how to fix that and it works...

Download and install X-factor...

http://www.gridironxfactor.com/download/download_reg.asp

Don't ask me why it works, I found the solution on another board and I just installed it... Now my CPU is at %4 when idle in AE...You might want to try it too...

tfortier
03-20-2006, 03:56 PM
weird...how x-factor can fix that?! then its a bug no?

My comp is ntsc, a 6 minutes comp with kinda 100 layers almost all precomp, with precomp inside... with 15gb of footage almost all greenscreen...

thousands of layers... probably (its rendering, I cant go see)

It should not influence the stability of After Effects... ok, it can be more long to calculate but nothing explain a one hour freeze... Im sure its bad integration with windows...

damn, my render finished and I did a collect file just for see how much file it will collect;

17444 files for a total of 19gb, with 57 fx used..!

bah, I remember old version of AE being very stable with big scenes... should not be a problem...

Even by pressing the caps lock, it still eat my cpu... I will try the gridiron trick but its total nonsense... anyway I hope its not hardware related cause the techs here are just waiting for that kind of problem for telling we dont know what we do...

thanks... I will post the result with gridiron later...

tfortier
03-20-2006, 04:45 PM
I use 6.5 by the way...

sheepfilms
03-20-2006, 06:08 PM
I had a similar problem to this, I fixed it by going into Edit>Preferences>General and unchecking "Synchronize Time Of All Related Items". It was always when I had a lot of nested compositions that it slowed down

I'm assuming this slowed AE down because it was having to go through every single composition and render that before the scene that you're looking at

beenyweenies
03-20-2006, 07:51 PM
My comp is ntsc, a 6 minutes comp with kinda 100 layers almost all precomp, with precomp inside... with 15gb of footage almost all greenscreen...

thousands of layers... probably (its rendering, I cant go see)

It should not influence the stability of After Effects... ok, it can be more long to calculate but nothing explain a one hour freeze... Im sure its bad integration with windows...

damn, my render finished and I did a collect file just for see how much file it will collect;

17444 files for a total of 19gb, with 57 fx used..!

bah, I remember old version of AE being very stable with big scenes... should not be a problem...

Even by pressing the caps lock, it still eat my cpu... I will try the gridiron trick but its total nonsense... anyway I hope its not hardware related cause the techs here are just waiting for that kind of problem for telling we dont know what we do...

thanks... I will post the result with gridiron later...

Sorry but any project with 17,000+ files (how is this even possible? Dear lord...), 19GB worth of info and 50+ effects, including chromakey, is going to chunk along. This is not a stability issue in After Effects, it's that your workflow is somewhat unrealistic for any desktop application. Even a Discreet Inferno system would be brought to its knees if you tried to pump 17,000 files into it at once, especially with greenscreen, etc..

I'm just curious what it is you're working on, because I've worked on several feature films and dozens of big commercial projects, and I have never, ever in my life heard of someone having 17,000 files in a comp. Ever.
The keying effects alone are going to cause AE to think long and hard as it composites all your elements, especially if you are using an advanced keyer like Primatte. If you are keying dozens of layers and they are all nested into one big comp, you can expect it to think pretty much non-stop.

Sheepfilms' comment about unchecking synch time of related items could be a big help, even if it doesn't fix your specific problem. But for now I would suggest starting a new project, dropping just a few images/clips into it, and play around. If your processor still pegs at 50% with a very simple project, then you have real issues. If not, your project is just too bloody huge. Break it out into smaller chunks.

cgeveryday
03-20-2006, 10:38 PM
Are you using 6.5 or 6.5.1. The update fixes a freeze issue in larger projects. You can get it from

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=13&platform=Windows

suztv
03-20-2006, 10:59 PM
I have had similar problems with AE freezing but the main reason was file complexity (nest comps with nested comps). On one recent project I had to render out all of the nested comps (especially those with light effects and particle effects) and replace the comps on the timeline with the rendered files. It worked fine after I did that. I will try that fix you posted though - anything to go a little faster.

TRick
03-21-2006, 12:05 AM
Did you try setting preview from OGL to something else. Might also help on large scenes...And if you have lots of single frame uncompressed rendered animations 20000 files is nothing. But even on way more data I rarely have freezes...

beenyweenies
03-21-2006, 01:37 AM
Did you try setting preview from OGL to something else. Might also help on large scenes...And if you have lots of single frame uncompressed rendered animations 20000 files is nothing. But even on way more data I rarely have freezes...

I'd agree that frame renders can add up quickly, but 20,000 frames is over 11 minutes of footage (@29.97fps). It is not really ideal workflow to try and pull 11 minutes of ANY kind of footage into After Effects in one comp. That amount of data exceeds what the program is made for, and makes for less than fun workflow as the poster is now experiencing. In most shops I've worked at anything over 5 minutes (or less) is stripped out into individual projects. It's not an editing app, after all!

In the end, everyone's got their own workflow preferences but for efficiency, this isn't an ideal situation by any stretch.

tfortier
03-21-2006, 04:41 AM
wow... so much good advices... now I start my paternity holiday (just get a boy 3 days ago) and I will probably not play with my scene soon except if they have corrections (like this week-end... pigs they are) but I will do the test next time I go to job...

All the footage is in tga sequence... do the huge amount of files...

disabling synchronize make lot of sense... sad cause its helpful...

and I dont think they update to 6.5.1... I will check it (thanks)

What will be the ultimate efficient memory preference then... should I use disk cache? (winxp, 3gb ram)

sunday night my problem was not over, AE start rendering white frames in middle of my renders... I had to render all in sequence for avoid it... only with quicktime its happen...

TRick
03-21-2006, 08:36 AM
...It's not an editing app, after all...

No, it's a compositor and and that means working in layers: backgrounds, mattes, keys, etc. Even a final 1 min.shot can take 10 or more layers. In an editing app you rarely use single frames. Off course you will always try to keep the base files as compact as possible, try to merge down complex layers in a comp and divide up in smaller projects. But collecting resources for all projects and sub-projects can easily add up. And what to think about HD and 32bit, that even burdens the program more. AFX should be able to take quite some load if you set it up right...

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2006, 08:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.