PDA

View Full Version : Skinning Help

Tezler
03-19-2006, 09:50 PM
Can any one offer some of their time and help me via MSN with skinning a character? I have completed the model making, and created the Biped. After I added the Physique modifier I am all over the place. I can't get rid of the leg creases at all. I'm all over the place and my time is running out for a module of mine. I'll try and offer something in return.

Tezler
03-20-2006, 12:41 AM
Turned out my biggest problem was Mesh Smooth being below the Physique modifier. Since i'm knew to all this it's taken me days to realise this.

I need your experiened advice.

What should my steps be as of now? Scene currently stands at:

Smooth
Symmetry
Editable Poly

Should I collapse symmetry now? Or do I wait? I'm just after stages of attack similar to this so I don't mess up anything. My guess is to, collapse symmetry, remove mesh smooth, add physique, sort all envolpes, reply mesh smooth and on to animate. It's a guess though so your advice greatly appreciated. PS. can envolpe changes/weighting from one side be mirrored onto the other, if not how do you match up perfect?

Appreciated.

virtualmesh
03-20-2006, 02:25 PM
if your mesh's vertices were created with the center of your character at zero on X and Y (world space) and the opposing side was created using the Symetry modifier, then skin vert weights can be mirrored with little loss of detail. I would check weld vert seam on Symetry modifier though.

I would first remove Smooth from your stack and then collapse it down to an editable poly. make sure the NURMS smooth within Editable Poly is unchecked. Then add your skin modifier on top of the Editable Poly, if you want to add morph targets then it's best to add Morph modifier before Skin. You don't want to use the NURMS smooth in editable poly if you are going to be skinning the character. Instead, use a Mesh Smooth modifier above skin. Make sure your Editable Poly has enough detail (but not the level of detail expected from a mesh smooth) in order for the skin weighting to have enough points to affect. the topoligy of your creation should take the skin weighting into consideration at the Editable Poly level.

Mesh Smooth
Skin
Morph
Editable Poly

PEN
03-20-2006, 05:38 PM
Why does every one insist on using Phsique, don't use it as it is old and gray, Use Skin instead as it will give you way more options.

Illusion-shadow
03-20-2006, 08:12 PM
I agree with Paul, Physique was build for character studio back in the day, I think even before Max 2.5. Since Max 4, the skin modifier has been improving ever since. With phyisque you can't really go backward if you did something wrong, and weighting the vertice is just too difficult. I would advice you to learn how to use skin, it's probably faster than using physique. And you can even modify your model to a certian degree without effecting the skin modifier.

Tezler
03-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Sweet advice guys, cheers. Is it possible to re-position bones even though the skin modifier is applied. At the moment moving the bones in or out of figure mode moves the mesh. Noticed the right arm not in perfect line with the left. :-(

Illusion-shadow
03-20-2006, 09:18 PM
Yes, if you go to the skin modifier and the advance parameters, just uncheck the Always Deform box. Once you have done that, just reposition your bone and then go back and turn it back on. You also want to make sure your character is in the skin pose, so make sure you check the correct ref. frame. If you are not too familiar with Max, I advice you to save before adjusting the bone. Have fun skinning!

Tezler
03-20-2006, 10:32 PM
Right I am in skin mode editing some envelopes on the right bones (blue).

I wish to get an exact copy of these on the other side (green). Clicking on some of the envelope lines the colour appears on the mesh both where I clicked and also over the other side, but only on some of them. Even then though they do not have matching envelope size's.

I'm playing with mirror but getting no success matching the envelopes up.

??

virtualmesh
03-21-2006, 02:05 PM
as long as your model is symetrical and is centered at 0,0,0 then your skin mirror should work with a very little threshold setting. make sure you are mirroring on the correct axis (X usually from the front viewport). you can either select to mirror envelops or verts (mirroring verts if your model is symetrical and centered is better). usually this is done at the last step, after you have spent the time painting in your weights.

I would first bake the envelope weights into the verts before you mirror verts to the other side.

PEN
03-21-2006, 04:28 PM
Make sure that you do a reset Xform on the model before adding Skin

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2006, 04:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.