PDA

View Full Version : Skinning question in max

AtomicPablo
03-19-2006, 08:12 PM
Hi,
I started skinning my character about a week ago. And I need some help with it please. The problem that I am having is that I have sepparate parts for my character: a main torso, a set of legs, a head, and my arms (I had both arms as different objects but then I wasn't able to mirror my vertex weights and envelopes so I merged them into one). All of them have different skin modifiers that include the same bone from my rig. I now managed to paint my border vertexes with very similar weights so that there is not much empty space between objects. I don't know why did I do that instead of having one same modifier for all the parts, I didn't know and I regret it so much!!! But I've gone through a lot of work with it and my deformations are looking good now. I even have a couple skin morphs already.

Ok, now here is my problem... My plan was to put some cloths on top in order to cover those spaces (and also as part of my character design). So now that I tried to test and similute some clothing, I'm getting some very ugly deformations on those gaps. It's very bad!!! Do you know of any way that I could fix the problem. I was thinking if there is a way to "stitch" my vertices onto the adjacent ones from the object that is next to it (the ones of the bottom of the torso with the ones on top of my pants). But I don't know if that's possible. Do you have any suggestions?, please, I'm very desperate!!! :scream:

I can upload some screen captures if you can't understand my problem. Thanks!

Illusion-shadow
03-21-2006, 04:03 PM
screengrab would be good so I can understand the situation a bit more. As for the cloth problem. I would create a mid-res character wtih no seperate part and a mide res cloth to perform the simulation. It's pretty good doing that way, this is what you should do.

Make a copy of your character body part, then attach them into one mesh,connect all the gap and apply a skinwrap modifier on it, pick the other bodypart as the node. Then adjust your model and turn it into a mid res model.

If you have create your cloth to be pretty dense, do the same thing.

Then apply cloth and run the simulation. The simulation should take that long, since there are not that many vertices to calculate. Once you have done that, apply a skinwrap of your orginal cloth and pick the lowres as the node.

It really depend on how realistic you want your cloth to be, you can use the hi res cloth for the simulation, it'll just take longer. Tip: if you want a good cloth simulation, just make sure at the Simulation Parameters, turn the Subsample to 5. Have fun and let me know the result.

AtomicPablo
03-29-2006, 06:09 AM
Cool, thanks so much! I tried it and the skin wrap works very nice... Sorry for not thanking for your help sooner, I've just been kind of busy. BUt yeah... thanks again!

CGTalk Moderation
03-29-2006, 06:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.