PDA

View Full Version : Render pass:Special Buffer (surface pass)

Julez4001
03-19-2006, 05:29 PM
I thought Special buffer pass allow you to render a surface in its own separate pass.

Is there a feature that does this?
I am trying to separate a surface (head surface) from the main object (that must be joined together) and render it as its own pass.

duke
03-20-2006, 04:22 AM
I think this was busted in 8.2, 8.3 - not sure about 8.5

Julez4001
03-21-2006, 04:09 PM
I am going to post this on Newtek forum if this is indeed the problem but I could have sworn that special buffer was used to isolate surfaces. I have an are a character's body I wish to make a matte pass out of it without breaking it into a separate object (seamless character).

toonafish
03-21-2006, 04:47 PM
you can't export seperate surfaces with the special buffer or any image exporter as far as I know. There is a commercial plugin that allows you to do that, but it does not support antialiasing so that kind of makes it less usefull. You have to hide all the objects / surfaces you don't want to render to export a seperate pass of a single surface.

Netvudu
03-21-2006, 05:05 PM
Extended RLA Material ID? havenīt tried myself though, I admit that.

jeremyhardin
03-21-2006, 05:35 PM
you can't export seperate surfaces with the special buffer or any image exporter as far as I know. There is a commercial plugin that allows you to do that, but it does not support antialiasing so that kind of makes it less usefull. You have to hide all the objects / surfaces you don't want to render to export a seperate pass of a single surface.

For the record, you aren't supposed to AA Object ID or Surface ID passes for mattes. The AA alters the color information and makes pulling a chromakey more difficult than need be. After you pull your key and have your matte set up in comp, you can blur the matte as needed.

monovich
03-21-2006, 06:10 PM
Extended RLA Material ID? havenīt tried myself though, I admit that.

bingo. works like a charm. (at least in After Effects). It isn't anti-aliased, and I never knew why until I read Jeremy's post.

One thing that you have to watch out for when using the material and object ID buffers in the Extended RLA output is reflections. If you have a chrome ball reflecting a tree, and you extract the object buffer for the ball, it'll have holes where it is reflecting the tree, and conversely, if you select the tree, it'll show up where it is reflecting in the ball. this can be both useful and annoying.

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2006, 06:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.