PDA

View Full Version : UGAC | Handheld Environment | Fighting Game Stage | ill_logic

ill_logic
03-19-2006, 03:37 PM
Hey all,
Just here placeholder-ing. I've been away for the past week, but I see what I can do. I like fighting games. Probably way too much. Still I need some more experience doing some environments, so I'll give it a whirl. Besides, I've quit my day job, so I've got nothing else better to do. lol I've got some ideas in mind but we'll see what comes of it.

More soon hopefully, & good luck to everyone participating!

EDIT:
CONCEPT

Name: ill_logic
Genre: Fighting (Samurai/Hip Hop Themes)
System: PSP Handheld
Concept: Dojo HQ for Street Gang - An upstart new crew operates out of an abandoned old dojo where they practice their sword skills, breaking, or just chill

-J

ill_logic
03-20-2006, 06:46 PM
question:

how feasible is it (for a handheld device) to support instanced meshes in the bg of a level if they are animated in a loop?

i ask because i was toying with the idea of having a crowd kind of 'walling off' the playable area of my stage, rooting on the fighters as they battle. the more recent tekken games have had stages like this & they're operating on a ps2, but i just wasn't sure how well that would work on a handheld. another question, if a mesh is instanced, is there any way i could maybe offset the animation so they're not doing it unison? i'm not talking about going insane & having a cast of hundreds or anything but maybe anywhere from 10-20 people if i can. just some questions i had before i settle on which idea i want to do. thanks!
-J

TheGodZero
03-20-2006, 06:53 PM
i dont think it matters if they are instanced or not, you have a max of ~50k polys for the psp textured so as long as you stay under that budget your fine for the psp. For the DS you have 2k polys dont know if thats per screen or per unit. The other systems i dont know the stats of.

GradiusCancer
03-20-2006, 11:20 PM
A background crowd can be pulled off relatively simple because of the small screen of handheld devices. You can use an animated transparent texture on a flat plane like SD vs Raw if you want. This allows for a fairly large crowd of people.
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/258429.asp

ill_logic
03-21-2006, 02:31 AM
thanks guys,

thegodzero- i hear what you're saying about it not having to be instanced, but is the budget different at all if those meshes aren't static? i'd like to have them throwing their hands up in the air & cheering & such. how much would animating them mess with that budget i guess is what i'm asking.

gradiuscancer- i'm familiar with doing that, but it's not really what i had in mind. if it was something like an arena or stadium situation & you have rows of people further away from the action, that'd work pretty well, especially if there's like thousands of them. but the idea is to kind of have this crowd be pretty close. like a street fight or something. if you've played def jam vendetta 2, that might be a better example of what i have in mind. in that you can actually interact with the crowd by grabbing weapons from them or chucking your opponent to them so they can hold him down for you, that sort of thing (like this (http://us.games2.yimg.com/download.games.yahoo.com/games/buzz/content/p/8/23318/def_jam_ffny_2.jpg)). now i'm not looking to go that wild, it's that sort of proximity/closeness i had in mind. thanks though

-J

TheGodZero
03-21-2006, 04:47 AM
Ahh then its a matter of bones then. The less the better so only animate what has to move to give the feeling of aliveness. like maybe one bone for one guy so he can move the top of his body in the same pose. Another is just one bone for the hand so that the hand moves back and forth. Or one in the arm so that they can move the arm up and down in a cheer.

ill_logic
03-21-2006, 07:11 PM
cool, thanks, thegodzero.

well i'm giving it a whirl. more plotting than anything else, but i do have a little to show for it. i'll edit the first post to kind of give a better idea of the theme & all. so far there are 2 128x128 textures & it's coming to 434 triangles, 196 of that unique geometry. it's really basic right now but don't worry, it'll get more complex as i go. especially if i can get a crowd going like i want.

view from top:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/kurocrash/StageWIP0001.jpg

-J

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2006, 07:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.