PDA

View Full Version : Xara Xtreme for Linux now functional and open-source

VirgilioVasconcelos
03-19-2006, 02:47 AM
From the website:

"At the end of 2005 we announced our intention to Open Source our flagship graphics product, Xara Xtreme, and bring it to both the Linux and Mac platforms. The news went down a storm and progress has been fast so we're now able to announce the first source code releases for Linux which you can download and build now (http://www.xaraxtreme.org/developers/sourcecode.html).

Xara Xtreme is the world's fastest and, we believe, most versatile graphics software. It is primarily a vector graphics program, but is one of the new generation of cross-over products that handles photos and drawings with equal ease. Xara Xtreme is also renowned for its slick, easy-to-use and easy-to-learn approach.

Xara Xtreme remains the most powerful (in terms of performance (http://www.xaraxtreme.org/about/performance.html)) and the most productive product available - these are objective measures and not just marketing spiel. Xara pioneered many of the graphic technologies that have become industry standard, from the first vector anti-aliasing, to the first vector transparency, including graduated transparency. The latest versions continue to innovate with dozens of industry firsts such as real-time vector feathering, embedded JPEG, the world's most efficient file storage, and unrivalled performance.

Linux needs a top-tier commercial-standard graphics program. The Linux desktop has come on leaps and bounds in the last year or so but it still lacks any vector or general purpose graphics program to genuinely compete with Windows and Mac commercial products. And although desktop Linux is evolving at a rapid rate, the platform is behind in the graphics market. We intend to change that.

Xara X has been a commercial shipping Windows product for 10 years (and non-Windows versions go back even further). It's a modern, object orientated design that's highly stable, and has gained hundreds of thousands of users. Our users and customers have produced artwork that's more than a match for artwork created with any other vector graphics program. Show me (http://www.xara.com/gallery/).

Xara Xtreme on Linux will not only bring a leading-edge graphic tool to the platform, but with community assistance, has the potential to become the world's most powerful, easiest-to-use and simply the world's best graphics program. If we get it right this could bring the Linux desktop into whole sectors of the market that is has not been able to address before."

http://www.xaraxtreme.org/

Apoclypse
03-19-2006, 04:24 AM
I like that whole inkscape xara super program thing. That would kick ass/

ThomasMahler
03-19-2006, 09:10 AM
Hmm, seems pretty powerful. Keeping an eye on this one.

Squeakypics
03-19-2006, 11:35 AM
The windows version is my Swiss army knife. Way faster than Adobe illustrator.
Highly recommended!

KayosIII
03-20-2006, 01:19 AM
Oooh
Testing now

chrisWhite
03-20-2006, 01:24 AM
So could this be the missing Photoshop link for Linux? Especially if they are starting to push image editing now, or is that still too new?

Per-Anders
03-20-2006, 03:00 AM
I believe it's vector artwork software, so no. But it could be a handy replacement for illustrator.

JWcph
03-20-2006, 09:23 PM
*Sigh* waiting for the Mac version...
(From one who believes the Adobe so-called "Industry standard" programs were forged in hell, and on a bad day at that!)

Jesper W. of Cph

KayosIII
03-20-2006, 09:27 PM
http://www.xaraxtreme.org/developers/documentation/xara_lx_mac_build_instructions.html
Looks like its from sources only at the moment
but if you really really want it.

-Vormav-
03-20-2006, 09:36 PM
Nice. I welcome any alternative to Illustrator, which I absolutely despise...

DanSilverman
03-20-2006, 09:52 PM
You can always purchase the PC version. It is not too expensive and it is truly a very powerful tool ... much better than Illustrator imo. And by purchasing the PC version you support the company as well.

Als
03-20-2006, 11:06 PM
This is great news, congratulations on such a brave move!!!

Next please flame, mistika, or photoshop? Yeah, I know I'm dreaming...

The best way to explain difference in thinking between adobe and xara is in drawing ramps.
For illustrator users, just check how xara is doing it for years now... ;)

Maybe not as powerfull as illustrator, but now with open source in a few years it might be!

Als

AA_Tyrael
03-21-2006, 12:38 AM
how about open source (free textures,animation rigs,shaders,models etc) from the artists :-) ?

LetterRip
03-21-2006, 01:31 AM
AA_Tyrael,

how about open source (free textures,animation rigs,shaders,models etc) from the artists :-) ?

in about a month the data from Project Orange will be published which contains all of those.

LetterRip

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2006, 01:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.