PDA

View Full Version : EMERGENCY: MDD files

fabmedia
03-18-2006, 07:58 PM
I have an emergency, my MDD files are saving, but will not load due to a error in the file. I have a clothe simulation that I've run over and over and over and...

"ClothFX: format error ..."

I save it, but when LW goes to load the scene, it encounters an error with the file.

Does anyone know what is going on?

LightFreeze
03-18-2006, 10:39 PM
you could try loading it into mdplug, in the add displacement drop down but it sounds like a dodgy file

fabmedia
03-19-2006, 02:23 AM
It's some 780 Mb in file size. Someone else on another forum mentioned the MDPlug too.

This is for that OceanFX War. I've not even tried rendering anything yet. I have to get my ass in gear. Arrrrgh.

fabmedia
03-19-2006, 06:11 PM
The file loads under MDPlug, but the animation won't run. The file seems okay. If you want to peak at it, PM me and I'll send you a link to the scene and the MDD file.

HowardM
03-20-2006, 04:01 PM
780 megs? hmmm dunno how lw will like that...
did you ever refine your setup and get rid of all that extra hard fx and extra polys?
all you need for an ocean surface is a flat plane, not all that extra lower stuff you had...

fabmedia
03-20-2006, 04:30 PM
Ya I know, it's big. I've been trying to setup something with a single plane but I've not had any real successful results. I either get the polys bouncing too much or their too stiff, let alone the cloth simulation doesn't like using my displacement map for the calculations.

I'm not too sure what to do...

LightFreeze
03-20-2006, 05:53 PM
You can set a load limit in mdPlug(clothFX as well) which might help, this limits how many frames are loaded int memory I think

jeremyhardin
03-20-2006, 06:23 PM
Lightfreeze has a good suggestion. From experience with large/lots of MDDs,

0 load limit is bad, because it tries to load the entire timeline into memory.
1 is ok, so long as you don't try to scrub.
3 or 4 was ideal for me. It allowed me a small buffer to work within without LW freaking out every frame (or not loading at all).

But I've had a lot of MDDs before, and it just slowed LW down (a lot). I've never had it reject the MDD format. I think you're problem could lie elsewhere.

CGTalk Moderation
03-20-2006, 06:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.