PDA

View Full Version : Yes, another Dirtmap question

shirak23
03-18-2006, 11:56 AM
Okay, so obviously, I'm trying to use the Dirtmap shader...

Everything seems typed in correctly in the rayrc file and all the .dll's and .mi's are in the right folders. When I try to connect the shader to a lambert, say, it turns black. I've tried going through the rgb->hsv node and then plugging in the V value into the diffuse channel of the lambert. Black. I've tried plugging it directly into the ambient channel. Actually, white. Makes the shadows act like a light and everything glows. Tried plugging it into the diffuse channel. Black. Tried plugging it into a color channel, etc., etc., etc.

Any suggestions? This is pretty frustrating.

Randolph
03-18-2006, 02:10 PM
The usual... well... my way of using the dirtmap is to conntect its output value to the colour value of a surface shader and render a separate ambient occlusion pass.

If you don't want to do this you can go through the rgb->luminance node, plugging the ditmap's out.value into the luminance, and the luminance.outValue to diffuse channel of the lambert. The preview icon of the in the Hypershade window will be black, but in your rendering the shader should work okay.

shirak23
03-18-2006, 08:27 PM
Okay, I'll try that. About the surface shader. I've never used that before, how would you apply it? Do you have to apply it to everything in your scene to render it out as its own pass?

Thanks.

Randolph
03-19-2006, 01:28 AM
Do you have to apply it to everything in your scene to render it out as its own pass?

Basically yes. If you use Maya 7, you can set up a new Render layer instead of making a copy of your scene.

shirak23
12-03-2006, 10:48 AM
I know this is a little late, but I realized I never said thanks. So, thanks for the help!

CGTalk Moderation
12-03-2006, 10:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.