PDA

View Full Version : Perserving Animation after Scaling??

satchi
03-18-2006, 12:44 AM
Hi, I have a rig of a human skeleton that I animated via IK handles' translates. Now I wish to scale the model and rig (joints and all) to a smaller scale. My question is, is it possible to keep the animation in tact (or reuse the same animation channel) for the scaled version? I understand that joints should only 'rotate' during animations so scaling the whole skeleton woudn't affect the rotation of the joints right?

If this is not possible? is there any way to preserve animations?, assuming that the scaling is proportionally? ( XYZ is all scaled together. )

thanks

pogg
03-18-2006, 06:00 PM
Try grouping the bones together, then grouping the rig together. You should be able to select the rig, bones and mesh and scale the whole thing and preserve the animation.

Failing that, try baking the animation onto the skeleton using:
Edit > Keys > Bake simulation Options.

Select the rotation and translation chanels on your main root bone.

click on Hierachy > "Below" in the Bake Simulation options box

and click on Chanels > "From Channels" in the same optins box

Then set which keys you wish to bake the animation over.

Once you've bake the keys onto the bones you can delete the rig.

You should then be able to group the bones together abd scale them at the same time as the mesh while preserving the animation.

Remember, don't group the bones and mesh together, just group the bones together.

satchi
03-23-2006, 11:29 PM
Hi and thanks for the reply pogg. I tried baking and it works for the most part. But when I try to freeze the scaling transformation and then run the animation again, the skeleton pops back to it's original size. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks

CGTalk Moderation
03-23-2006, 11:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.