PDA

View Full Version : walk cycle question: static or moving?

sloggo
03-18-2006, 12:04 AM
I'm just starting out animating and have come accross two methods for creating a walk cycle - looking in the max tutorials they teach you to create a walk cycle by walking your character forwards in world space, But another way i've been taught is to have the feet constantly sliding backwards as if your character is walking on the spot and the world is sliding past them( and then i presume you would move the placement or global control to move them).

Which of these two methods is 'right'? making him walk forwards in world space makes alot more sense to me and is far easier for me to get my head around in terms of timing.

joconnell
03-18-2006, 02:02 PM
Heya Phil,

both are useful in different circumstances - if you animate on the spot you normally have one master null that moves the entire rig to get your character to move around. Normally this is the inverse of the curve that your feet are using while they slide backwards. The benefit of this is it's really easy to loop the animation using the out of range curves if you need a large cycle of animation. Of course the problem is that you get no variation in the walk and the character will only walk correctly on perfectly flat surfaces so you'll get no adaptation to the environment.

Cycles are really handy if you're setting up stuff for games or for large character simulations for use in crowd sims or particles but it mightn't get much personality so you gotta pick what the purpose of it is. If you're just practising things then go for whichever method suits you best at the moment.

CGTalk Moderation
03-18-2006, 02:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.