PDA

View Full Version : the haunting house

trialanderror
03-17-2006, 08:22 PM
Last Update (03-23-06)

working on an update, thanks for help so far...
c&c of course allways welcome

http://www.giuseppetroiano.de/Lvs/BTB/week1/tinaGhostHouse.jpg (http://www.giuseppetroiano.de/Lvs/BTB/week1/hauntingHouse.html)

Thanks in advance

giuseppe aka trialanderror

lanternkid
03-18-2006, 11:32 AM
I like this concept a lot, especially the way you've done the house! Have you read The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman? Lots of spooky imagery like this :thumbsup:

Just looking at the house you could try lowering the intensity of colour on the grass, it wouldn't be such a bright colour in that light (it'd be more like the colours on the tree to the left). There's something odd around the bottom of the rightmost tree; I feel like I should be able to see the roots sticking out over the cliff edge.

Good luck with this!

trialanderror
03-18-2006, 12:21 PM
Hi moonlantern,

thank you very much for your comment and the tip with the book. Ill check it out. I actually was inspired by some haunting house matte paintings I found on the net, but as I said before, not to compare, just to keep practising.

Ill try to add your suggestions and post the update when done.

(Ive decided to post my other images in a new thread)

Thanks again

P.S. I like your drawing very much too, moonlantern!!!

(http://www.giuseppetroiano.de/gallerie/valentinesDay11.jpg)

Maigo
03-18-2006, 03:13 PM
i love the house, the hill, and the wagon, but the background isn't feeling to "right" it seems flat, and kinda "out of place" but other then that this is a good image. Also the sky isn't quite there either, work on those two and this pic. will rule!

later,
Maigo.

oogieboogietoogie
03-18-2006, 06:49 PM
Just a composition thingy that confuses me: is the tree in front of or behind the house?

The house looks awesome, but the background, maybe a likkle more detail/texture?

trialanderror
03-18-2006, 08:44 PM
Hi to all,

and thank you very much for your comments. Im going to comment your work too if you like.

Ive just updated the haunting house image and tried to achieve your suggestions. What do you think does it look better now? For me personally skies are as difficult as characters. I should do some more tuts...

Very good question Ninetales. Honestly, I didnt realise that the tree seems to be behind the house but its supposed to be in front of the house. Ill try to fix that too.

Thanks again

Haunting house (http://www.giuseppetroiano.de/Lvs/BTB/week1/hauntingHouse.html)

oogieboogietoogie
03-18-2006, 09:15 PM
I really like the building!

Reminds of the chaple from Sleepy Hollow!

Keep up the Good Work!

trialanderror
03-19-2006, 03:20 AM
yes thanks again ninetales, Im really delighted you like my house:)

arnocob
03-19-2006, 06:58 PM
:)
Hi!
I like the style of your paintings
and the way you want to progress.
So, here are my little comments :

About the house painting: You said that you want it to be a matte-painting,...in this case, I agree with the others about background. You have to study on a cloudy sky, which is difficult (it's not my speciality!and I have to work on too) cause actually it's to blurry...
But if the painting is not a matte, the sky could be more simple, like an empty surface. In the case the result of your work on a dark cloudy sky doesn't satisfied you, I suggest you to be more simple...
The color of the mountains could be closer to the color of the stones near the road.
It 'll be more homogenic...
Hope you understand my poor english!

About the river painting : I like it very much (the bright atmosphere, spring, flowers and mushrooms)
Maybe the roc on the left is a bit out of the compo or persp.
So, you could work on it,...or more simple: delete it!
It's just a suggestion...
The river could be less equal. In the foreground, more saturate than the background, and with less movement?
The tree and the bird are excellent.

So, hope my crits are not too hard...It's because, my english is bad, so I am looking for my words and sometimes ...

Keep it up!
bye

trialanderror
03-19-2006, 07:53 PM
Hi arnocob!

wow, arnocob itself commenting on my picture. What a honor. Sorry for my enthusiasm but Im very happy. Theres lots of great stuff here in this forum. Some is exceptional. You are definitely exceptional. Ill follow up each of your words. Youre one of my favourites and absolutely not too hard. Im very ambitiuous and keen on learning so every suggestion is invaluable for me. Yes, Ill try to be much more simple. Thats a wonderful tip and didnt hear that before.:thumbsup:

Ill try to rework the paintings and post the updated when done.

Re your english is just wonderful and your words are very very kind. I have to confess me too is struggling sometimes with my English allways hoping that I wont get misunderstood.

First thought to open a new thread with my additional images as this thread looked as confused as my room but maybe I should stay with one thread now and try to keep it in order:).

Thank you very much again... You encouraged me a lot:)

ciao

http://www.giuseppetroiano.de/gallerie/river.JPG

prince-des
03-20-2006, 06:15 AM
wooooooooooooooooow :eek: rousing :thumbsup:

doodinator
03-20-2006, 04:20 PM
hey. looks like a good start, but it just seems to need little details over most of it. it's too clean for a creepy mansion in the hills. I think some moss or ivy on the house and rock cliffs would help a lot. also the green grass is a little too happy and cheerful for the scene. try makig it a paleish brown color? add some gravel or texture to the road and some more small cracks on the rock cliff. the barren tree is great, but theres that other tree that seems to be growing just fine to the side. i like the light from the window, but i think you should have that somewhere else in the pic for balance. maybe a lantern post on the road, or on the edge of the cliff in front of the house? looks like a good start, but it could be awesome if you add some little stuff to it. keep it up!

trialanderror
03-20-2006, 06:09 PM
tnx for your comment prince-des and doodinator

will try to update soon

some trouble with the sky...

Terro
03-20-2006, 10:04 PM
Hi Trial, You've been on top of my stuff so I figured I better look in on you.

The hounted house is looking good. The one hint I can give you is to try adding detail at the same pace. What I mean by this is doing detail according to size. That way your image will have the same look to it. This should come in handy as you are about ready to jump into detailing. Don't spend too much time on the surface of one stone, try to be equal. It will balance out yor landscape.
Ps: I think Doodinator gave a awsome advice.

trialanderror
03-20-2006, 11:46 PM
Hi Terro,

nice to see you here in my little area... Yes, all your advices are invaluable for me and Im going to think over all of them. I agree that Doodinator, gave some awsome advices like the light that should be balanced by a second light source and Illl try to integrate quite all of them into my image, if I can. Im not that advanced and struggling here and there with some elements... Hope to be able to update very soon...

Re your picture Ill try to check your thread here and then and take a look at your progress. Im very excited what you come up with next...

thanks a lot to all of you

werd
03-21-2006, 08:58 PM
Hi Trialanderror, The painting looks good. Definetly captures the haunted feeling for me:thumbsup:. besides more detail, the only thing I see is with the lighting. The light on the side of the cliff and the house looks like its coming somwhere from the right, when the moon is right behind the house. Mayb move the moon a little over to the right to help with that.

I like the dark clouds idea you should definately continue to refine those. It might even be cool if it was raining, but its your painting not mine:D. Good luck

trialanderror
03-21-2006, 10:36 PM
hi werd,

thank you very much for your comment, youre right I have to change the lighting, as the moon is too far on the left. Im going also to integrate Doodinators observation as my light isnt balanced at all. Lots of work the next time, I guess. LOL

Thanks again, youre growing very fast and seem to be dedicated...

P.S. I like rain, maybe Ill try it if its not too difficult right now, water is a killer challenge

trialanderror
03-23-2006, 02:35 AM
sorry for the double post, wanted to edit the first one

Last Update (03-23-2006)

just a small update, still working on the sky, but am not sure...

c&c appreciated

http://www.giuseppetroiano.de/Lvs/BTB/week1/tinaGhostHouse.jpg (http://www.giuseppetroiano.de/Lvs/BTB/week1/hauntingHouse.html)

Thanks in advance

giuseppe aka trialanderror[/QUOTE]

werd
03-23-2006, 03:36 AM
I see what you meant by the bluriness in the sky, what you have is exactly my problem too. There is not enough definition between the clouds. They are looking way better tho, just need a bit more work defining the individual puffs of clouds(if that makes sense). And the light looks to be in the right place now too:thumbsup:. Good luck

trialanderror
03-23-2006, 03:58 AM
hi word,

thanks so much for reply. First of all your image is awesome. Great work. Concrats!!! Im really without words and am sure you will receive lots of compliments... If you like heres a tut for fur, just for practising, but the image rocks right now...:buttrock:

fur tut-llink (http://div.dyndns.org/EK/tutorial/)

Thanks also for commenting on my image, it encourages me a lot... Its a struggle... Hope I get it done now...

arnocob
03-23-2006, 11:54 PM
:)
Hi!
I think the sky is better now...
Maybe could you reduce the highlights in the bottom of the sky, and keep just one zone of highlight(with the yellow), like if the moon was just behind...
Actually, there are maybeto many zones.
Just a suggestion
Hope you understand me!!
Bye!

oogieboogietoogie
03-24-2006, 12:58 AM
Nice progress :) This image totally reminds me of the castles on cliffs in the "Castlevania" series.

I have to say however, that difference in contrast between highlights and shadows on the house in comparison to the rocks/boulders I think sort of throws me off. One section says that the lighting is relatively murky and stormy, whereas the other section tells me that the lighting is clear and bright, as if by a full moon on a cloudless night. Perhaps dimming the highlights on the rocks and mountains in the backdrop might make the image more cohesive.

Another thing is the background behind the hill and the house. The perspective and the strength and boldness of the colors in the background defies the fact that it is far away. Perhaps lessening the saturation, or moving the overall hue of the background toward a single color, preferably cool colors to emphasize the night setting. As objects get farther from our eyes and closer to the horizon line, they usually get less saturated and their colors began to merge together, or blur.

On the clouds. Right now, it seems to me that you are using some sort of brush to get the sort of "fuzzy" effect in the clouds. Usually, clouds appear almost solid at a far distance (they have quite distinguishable shadow and highlights, right?), and get less distinguished as you get near them (as in airplanes). It seems to me you want to acheive a sort of murky, cloudy night effect. Perhaps creating layers of clouds, while keeping in mind the shadowing, might help you create the effect you want. Also, maybe studying the different kinds of clouds may help you even more.

trialanderror
03-24-2006, 02:28 AM
Wow...
Thanks so much for your replies. You are all so kind in this forum. Ill try to give that back to you. Your help is very important for me as I try a lot but have allways the feeling that Im doing something wrong. I can see my errors much clearer now and feel strong enough to continue. Im going to study skies and try to integrate all your suggestions. But I have to read it very carefully first.

Thanks again to all of you and please ask me if theres something I can do for you

ciao

CGTalk Moderation
03-24-2006, 02:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.