PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia and LW? - Freeze/Crash

devin
03-17-2006, 07:51 PM
Hi,

I've noted several threads pertaining to nvidia drivers and problems with lightwave. I've just received my new system and seem to already be having issues, namely the inability to launch layout w/o it instantly freezing. After this I can't even get it to force-quit. I'm assuming its due to the nvidia driver issue.

My question... Is there any consensus on which driver release works best? I know it may vary a little by system but thought someone might have a rough idea of which release "era" proved most compatible/stable.

Thanks,
Devin

PS - I'm running a dual 270, Tyan Thunder, WinXP 32, and the latest 81.98 drivers.

NOTE: I posted this over to the Newtek forums as well but thought I'd post here too so that I can hopefully get up and running asap.

Niklas Collin
03-17-2006, 07:57 PM
Try ForceWare 78.01 or 78.03. They seem to work best. Also upgrade your motherboard's BIOS and if that doesn't help, don't install nForce4 IDE-drivers. I'm guessing you have a nForce4 mobo, since that's actually what is causing all these problems in my experience. Hope this helps.

Freak!!
03-17-2006, 08:25 PM
I would think there would be plenty of other reasons, than Nvidia's...

My guess would be anything that has Tyan in the name.... Of course it's one of only two choices, for dual dual cores.

But try and update any drivers and bios of your motherboard
and chipset. (if you have not already) Not!!! Nforce4 drivers.
if it's a Nvida conflict, i imagine it's due to chipset/videocard combination, than just videocard... But i've found Tyan mainboards often have problems personally.

I've used 78.x and 81.98 drivers on Dual core AMD, and single AMD, without problem for quite some time.....

devin
03-17-2006, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the info. I indeed have an nforce4 board. I just received the system two days ago and the bios and drivers are supposed to be the most up-to-date possible according to the builder (Monarch). I'm a little hesitant to try tweaking the mb drivers. Is this as simple as add/remove and loading new drivers? Swapping out video card drivers...no problem but the nforce drivers sound a bit more intimidating.

devin

Freak!!
03-18-2006, 07:16 PM
I'm running a dual 270, Tyan Thunder, WinXP 32, and the latest 81.98 drivers."

"I indeed have an nforce4 board"

One, either or both of those statements must be incorrect.
I think you may be mistaken..

I don't believe there is an Nforce4 board for the Dual 270's...
or indeed 940 pin chips....

It's more likely a crappy Tyan motherboard, with perhaps an Nforce2 chipset.
(just to confuse you more) or VIA or AMD chipset...

But the 200 series of AMD Opteron's are not supported via Nforce4 chipsets...
Really i would not do anything, until you are sure of the brands and models of your machine..
Doing anything until you are sure, will cause you problems...
If it's a Tyan Thunder motherboard, i'm guessing it could be a VIA chipset.

Also there is a difference between Nforce and Forceware....

Forceware are Nvida's name for their Videocard drivers for their graphics cards..
Nforce, is the name of Nvida's chipsets for motherboards...
But to use Nforce4 drivers on a Tyan VIA/AMD board will cause havoc..

Cheers,
Scott.

CGTalk Moderation
03-18-2006, 07:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.