PDA

View Full Version : iDof 3.0 preview

jeremyhardin
03-17-2006, 06:04 PM
iDof is getting a re-write, switching to a comp-focus, and becoming a couple of image filters.

A preview of interface and functionality as well as some very good honest questions about it are here:
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11349

Joscci
03-18-2006, 01:34 AM
I've actually never heard of the initial release, but it looks like a neat little plug-in to have in one's toolset. Will definitively keep an eye on it! :thumbsup:

Cheers.

monovich
03-18-2006, 02:03 AM
looks very useful. I'm in love with the Lens Blur plugin in P.S. and AE7, so this could be a handy addition. On whatever project I work on next that needs DOF, I'll check it out.

-sf

jeremyhardin
03-18-2006, 09:03 AM
Of note, I just added a 24-bit TGA saver, so you don't have to write the depth matte data to the RGB +A channels anymore. You can just output it directly to disk.

@Joscci
Hehe. That's alright. It came out 3 or 4 years ago initially, and I haven't updated it in a year or two. My workflow has COMPLETELY changed since then, so it's time for a rewrite.

@monovich
Yeah, I love Lens Blur too. Very pretty results. Thanks for keeping iDof in mind!

jeremyhardin
03-20-2006, 08:13 AM
The fully functional 10-day trial and documentation are on the page.

http://www.lwidof.net

adrencg
03-20-2006, 03:15 PM
I've tried it out and it works great.

I use Fprime for final render, and this will help me get a quick DOF effect. Previously I had to do some fancy surfacing with Distance to Camera nulls(pain in the butt).

Worth the money...

jeremyhardin
03-21-2006, 07:39 PM
Thanks adrencg, I do the same.

Render in Fprime.
Switch to quickshade.
F10 with TGA output in iDof Channels.

of note...a small bug was occurring when the black point was very near the camera, and the white point was very far from the camera. This has been fixed and now reflects in the current Trial download.

Since I've found no other bugs, nor been informed of any other than the above, I'll begin accepting orders tonight (after work) or first thing tomorrow.

habaņero
03-22-2006, 11:02 AM
This looks excellent! Thanks!

On a sidenote your site (and documentation) show some confusing behaviour when viewed with Opera, the whole navigation disappearing. Just thought I'd mention it.

Blabberlicious
03-22-2006, 11:32 AM
Sweet Plug-in!

I have one issue, and that with how doesn't AA the 'dof map' when the object is against a 'virtual plate' (texture environment, Imageworld).

This in turn creates artefacts when the depth blur is created - as you can see in this example.

I can add a skydome and map to that, then the problem goes get resolved. Everything gets nicely AA'ed.

But, obviously it would be nice to have the option to use environmental backdrops for speed.

I realise this isn't a dof bug, more a limitation of LW.

Any thoughts?

Hope this example makes sense.

jeremyhardin
03-22-2006, 02:14 PM
Indeed. It is more of a LW bug than anything. But I'll see if I can get a workaround going.

For any that wonder, the reason I say this is a LW problem is because of the process involved. I'm taking depth information from the depth matte (distance from camera) and comparing it distance measurements from the black point and white point objects, then changing the depth matte accordingly. So I'm really doing some fancy-shancy color changes to what's already there. Better results than LW (IMHO), but still has it's drawbacks.

jeremyhardin
03-22-2006, 02:16 PM
This looks excellent! Thanks!

On a sidenote your site (and documentation) show some confusing behaviour when viewed with Opera, the whole navigation disappearing. Just thought I'd mention it.

habaņero, I'll check on that, thanks. Out of curiosity, how does the purchase page look on Opera?
http://www.lwidof.net/iDof/Purchase.html

I ask because I did something a touch different there that might make it work better in Opera.

CGTalk Moderation
03-22-2006, 02:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.