PDA

View Full Version : Toaster (critique much appreciated)

LynseyMcG
03-17-2006, 05:42 AM
An illustration I've been working on for a while - Elsabeth, Muriel and the Toaster. (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/irene.mcgough/Elsabeth_Muriel_and.jpg)

I stuggle a bit with lighting and things so any advice would be much appreciated.

Photoshop 5.5

djtrousdale
03-17-2006, 03:29 PM
Interesting subject, looks excellent :D I have no crits.

TobyArt
03-17-2006, 06:18 PM
Darker shadows could help bring it out a bit perhaps.

LynseyMcG
03-17-2006, 07:06 PM
Hi djtrousdale, glad you like it, thanks for replying, it's good to know nothing stands out as being too wrong.

Zyrinx, thankyou for your input. I've been dancing with darker shadows but i kept choosing against it because I was trying to get a similar quality of light to that I experienced at the Scottish seaside as a child. There are maybe areas that could go darker, i've just been looking at it so long now and I can't see where.

nafa
03-18-2006, 01:22 AM
I dont understand the underlying concept of the big size difference between the two "eyes". Is there something you tried to convey, or its just design?

LynseyMcG
03-18-2006, 02:13 AM
Hi Nafa,

He's a cheap parts robot. It's like when you buy a low market brand DVD player and it's box is over designed in some way to make up for its poor quality. It's supposed to make him more vulnerable and disposable looking (more appealing to kids).

:) I think it's odd you asked that and not why his limbs kinda look a bit like shower hoses :).

Thankyou for your feedback, I promise the design is not random though it is not highly technical. I was not considering this robot to be terribly functional, more a mere play thing thrown together for the sake of it. The concept is more about the intimate relationship a child has with their toys.

CGTalk Moderation
03-18-2006, 02:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.