PDA

View Full Version : Virus Encrypts Data, Demands Ransom

RobertoOrtiz
03-16-2006, 10:47 PM
Quote:
"A virus that encrypts documents and demands a ransom to get them back is circulating on the Internet, but at least one security company has released the password needed to recover the files.

The Trojan horse virus encrypts the contents of a user's Word documents, databases, or spreadsheets, and then leaves a file demanding $300 in exchange for the password to access the information, said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant with security company Sophos. A text file directs victims to transfer money to one of 99 accounts run by e-gold, a company that runs a money transfer site."
>>LINK<< (http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20060316/tc_pcworld/125108;_ylt=AjPpzrO.THi85Buy.PWl0Xms0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cjE0b2MwBHNlYwM3Mzg-)

-R

JeroenDStout
03-16-2006, 10:49 PM
Save for the bit where people get mobbed, I find this an amazing development of technology - even though I believe it has been done before. It's wild that you can do this. Quite cool.

-Vormav-
03-17-2006, 01:22 AM
Yeah, similar stuff has been around for awhile. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7961600/)
Let's just hope it doesn't start encrypting our various cg files. ;)

amfantasy
03-17-2006, 01:28 AM
rofl

that made my day, but this is really kind of scary like Vormav said, what if it encrypts your whole partition :eek:

CLONEOPS
03-17-2006, 05:52 PM
thransj kjout gout frmbterlater help m*e with thw#its probleeom i am haeveeeeeeng?:eek:eek oinko oin@ko^

og_reborn
03-17-2006, 05:59 PM
this is sickening.

CupOWonton
03-17-2006, 06:14 PM
To Quote a famous Sgt.

"Brr Ferken Durglers"

graphix19
03-17-2006, 09:05 PM
I don't know why people waste their time with this crap. It's not like they could put virus design on their resume...it seems pointless.

StevenR
03-17-2006, 09:22 PM
I don't know why people waste their time with this crap. It's not like they could put virus design on their resume...it seems pointless.I think the point is that if it works, they don't need a resume; they're already making money.

js33
03-17-2006, 09:33 PM
All the authorites would have to do is follow the money path to lead to their front door.

habaņero
03-17-2006, 11:20 PM
Worse have happened for several years now, in a quiet country like Norway, hackers encoding the entire disk. It probably is no need to point this out but by no means pay for decryption, ever. First it'll spread the plague by supporting it economically. This type of scam have already so low payback that every single one counts. Second, there is no incentive at all for the fraudsters to actually send you the password. In fact, it would to them be to increase their own risk for capture. It should be regarded as hd crash. It is sometimes possible to decrypt or hunt down the password, if else use your backup. If you don't have backup you would have had this type of thing or worse coming anyway, the value of the lesson could be higher than that of your data.

E-gold could end up frying if this type of thing becomes common. It is not impenetrable to legal attacks, particularly from the US that doesn't much give a **** about international agreements.

Digitalwool
03-18-2006, 08:15 AM
It's wild that you can do this. Quite cool.

It is wild. However it is absolutely not cool, at all.

CGTalk Moderation
03-18-2006, 08:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.