PDA

View Full Version : Why is it looking so weird in perspective view?

YoYoYohan
03-16-2006, 09:49 PM
Okay, Always when I use some background images to help me making a model, it ends up looking weird in perspective view.

As you can see in the image below, I followed the contours of the mouth. So in perspective view, it should look like the same as on the background images.
BUT IT DOESN'T!!!:argh:

What am I doing wrong? How can I ever make an 3d model that looks like a real person if the perspective view give me some weird views?

Any help would be nice!

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to attach the image.
http://i2.tinypic.com/rk0jya.jpg

Per-Anders
03-16-2006, 10:11 PM
This is where you discover how good of a digital sculptor you are. Background images will only help you so far because they don't have any depth and frequently parts are obscured, you have to understand the shapes you're modeling in the first place. This is why being able to draw well is a huge advantage, it's not a necesity, but if you know how to draw, and how ot draw really well then you'll understand form well enough to translate that into 3d far easier than would otherwise be the case.

In this case the first problem is simply that your reference images aren't even matched up, the side view top and bottom of the lips shoudl match yoru front view top and bottom. the second problem is that you've modeled a straight v shape (check your top viewport), what you need is more of a curve, look at your own lips and those around you and see how the form goes. From there the shape you have is also very simplified. at the peak you would expect it to start folding back slightly.

Anyhow, keep at it. Organic modeling isn't an easy task and takes lots of trial and error, and many attempts before you will have something you are satisfied with.

YoYoYohan
03-16-2006, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the reply mdme_sadie. I know how to model organic objects. But it's easier without having background images. ( I also made the mouth in my avatar, but without any background images ).

In this case the first problem is simply that your reference images aren't even matched up, the side view top and bottom of the lips shoudl match yoru front view top and bottom.

Are you sure they aren't matched up? In my opinion they are! But i could be wrong. If you look at the top of the lips they end 3 squares above the dark line. end the lower lips are ending 2.5 squares below the dark line. So how should I match up the background images correctly?

the second problem is that you've modeled a straight v shape (check your top viewport)
I agree, I have to work more on that.

EDIT: Looks like i had the camera in perspective view at a strange point. That's why the view in perspective view was looking so weird ( I really shame me for this stupid mistake :blush: )

But then again, I still wanna know how i can make the 2 images match good to each other. :)

NanoGator
03-16-2006, 10:39 PM
One suggestion would be to texture map the bg photo to the mesh, that way you can see how things line up in the perspective view. :)

jorust
03-16-2006, 10:53 PM
I think it's because you look form a low angle in the perspective view.

Model the underlip, and you'll see it's not that bad after all...

Per-Anders
03-16-2006, 10:59 PM
the light dark points wont help you with matching as the lighting conditions can be quite different, in this case you're looking at a point where there's a bright light reflection (specular) which will confuse the issue.

it's easier when you look at the actual form points that you know rather than the lighting. just look at the lip itself (and at your own). the skin of the lips is quite different to the surrounding skin, and you know that that skin doesn't go halfway up to the nose (but you've got it doing that in the side image versus front image). instead it stops/blends out at the point where from the side it's furthest forward. with the bottom lip it continues to curve back again slightly before really stopping, once more fairly suddenly. to line up images well you need to use points of reference that cannot change through lighting or photography differences, unfortunately that's incredibly hard to do unless all shots were taken simultaneously (i.e. with two or three seperate cameras set up in position and then triggered at the same time) as most of the time people change their expressions slightly and may hang their head a little more or less over time and as they face towards or away from teh photographer.

essencedesign
03-16-2006, 11:43 PM
Also try turning your Perspective Amount down (Display options) , I model at 0 or 1 , it will let you see a "truer" and less distorted perspective view as you model.

Jullia
03-17-2006, 05:10 AM
Sorry for my spelling!
Hope its help you!

IC12
03-17-2006, 10:40 AM
Really, the perspective view has to be treated totally differently from the others. Front, side top etc are 2 dimensional views so it's these views which are actually 'wrong' from a real world perspective.

Hope I'm making myself clear but basically, you can't use the perspective view as accurately as the others for scrutinizing your model.

YoYoYohan
03-17-2006, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the reply's guys. The biggest problem that made the lip look wrong was the camera set to low. Very stupid of course, because it's simple to rotate the camera.

@ essencedesign: Although this options doesn't show values I set this option to low. And this also helped a bit to let the mouth look better in perspective view

@ mdme_sadie: I know what you mean. But as you said, it's very hard to find a front and back view that match perfect to each other. This side view was the only photo that i could find. All other photo's were taken from front are 3/4 position.

Anyhow, this is how the mouth is looking right now in perspective view.
http://i2.tinypic.com/rkspjk.jpg

borisgoreta2000
03-17-2006, 08:17 PM
Hey Julia, why did you suggest to rotate model in perspective view using right mosue button ? Isn't that the same as using the left mouse button ?

toonafish
03-18-2006, 12:03 AM
hey, that looks much better then the first one :-)

but I think you might be better off without the right side backdrop view, or at least don't try to fit the geometry to it but just use it as a loose reference for the mouth corner. I think mdme_sadie is right, the head is tilted differently, it even looks like a completely different model to me.

the upper lip in the front view image looks much rounder and "pulled up", like Monica Bellucci, or Michelle Pfeiffer, but the lips on the right side look much thinner.
So if you want your model to resemble the front view backdrop, I'd make the upper lip flatter and pull the edge that defines the end of the lip higher, and I'd make the lower lip much rounder and create a smoother transition to the chin towards the mouth corners.

CGTalk Moderation
03-18-2006, 12:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.