PDA

View Full Version : Workstation Help Please ($3500 Budget)

tricky777
03-16-2006, 07:16 PM
Hello, I need help on what to purchase for my first workstation. Currently in high school and about to attend college. I need this workstation to be able to handle AutoCAD 2006, Inventor 10 Pro, and maybe 3DS Max 8 later down the road. I also want my workstation to last about 2 years before I have to upgrade. My budget is about $3500 (give or take a few hundreds).

I need:
-Case
-Power Supply
-Motherboard
-Processor
-Memory
-Hard Drive
-DVD Drive/Burner
-Video Card
-Mouse + Keyboard
-Am I missing anything else?

I'm mostly working with AutoCAD and Inventor 95% of the time and in the process of learning Max 8. I was also wondering which video card setup is better: 1) 2 x 7900 GTX SLi, 2) 1 x Qudro FX4500, 3) 1 x 7900 GTX, or 4) 1 x Quadro FX 1400 ???

Any recommendations?

tecton3d
03-16-2006, 09:08 PM
I'd go for 2 fast, single core Opterons as opposed to going the dual core route. Since you're only starting to use Max and therefore will not be rendering large files, you'll get much more use out of faster single cores.

... gotta, it's pub time - I'll update this later!

CHEERS!

deathman20
03-16-2006, 10:57 PM
Hello, I need help on what to purchase for my first workstation. Currently in high school and about to attend college. I need this workstation to be able to handle AutoCAD 2006, Inventor 10 Pro, and maybe 3DS Max 8 later down the road. I also want my workstation to last about 2 years before I have to upgrade. My budget is about $3500 (give or take a few hundreds).

I need:
-Case
-Power Supply
-Motherboard
-Processor
-Memory
-Hard Drive
-DVD Drive/Burner
-Video Card
-Mouse + Keyboard
-Am I missing anything else?

I'm mostly working with AutoCAD and Inventor 95% of the time and in the process of learning Max 8. I was also wondering which video card setup is better: 1) 2 x 7900 GTX SLi, 2) 1 x Qudro FX4500, 3) 1 x 7900 GTX, or 4) 1 x Quadro FX 1400 ???

Any recommendations?

Well spec wise it looks good.

CPU Wise getting a X2 or Dual Core Operton would be more then plenty to keep you going for a while. Autocad/Inventor don't use dual core to there advantage, and Max 8 will use it when you start using it. Get 2gigs of ram at least, preferably 2x 1gig sticks with expandibility up to 4gigs in the future.

Video card wise SLI isn't helpful unless its in a game, 7900 GTX would be more then plenty to run most things and thats including Inventor with a complex assembly. I use solid works and my X1800XL works perfectly fine with it with rather complex assemblies.

tecton3d
03-17-2006, 10:29 AM
o o p s ~

tecton3d
03-17-2006, 11:21 AM
I need this workstation to be able to handle AutoCAD 2006, Inventor 10 Pro, and maybe 3DS Max 8 later down the road.

I also want my workstation to last about 2 years before I have to upgrade. My budget is about $3500 (give or take a few hundreds).

-Case - Lian Li V2000B -- 265 or Silverstone Tj07 -- 350
-Power Supply - OCZ PowerStream EPS12V 520W -- 140
-Motherboard - tyan K8we s2895 -- 414
-Processor - Opteron 252 2.6GHZ 1M $365 -- 730
-Memory - 2gb reg ecc corsair ram (2x 1gb) --220
-Hard Drive (OS and Progs) (x2) - WD Raptor 74gb in RAID 0 -- 306
-Hard Drive (storage) - 400gb Seagate Barracuda -- 220
-DVD Drive/Burner - _______________? --50
-Video Card - QuadroFX 3400 or 4500 -- 800 - 1700 ... and forget SLI - It's useless for 3D
-Mouse + Keyboard - ________________? -- 30

totals somewhere around $3175 (plus shipping) so you have budget to play with
... if you need a monitor, you'll need to trim some fat off the edges of my above specs... lose one of the OS hd's and drop the 400gb storage drive in favor of 1 - 250 gb and maybe pick up the quadro from E-Bay

From a fellow Autocad user, I'd definitely go for 2 fast, single core Opterons as opposed to going the dual dual - core route. Hopefully you already know Autocad is about the most combersome modeler there is and faster single core processors will exibit themselves nicely when modeling in Inventor and Acad. Since you're only starting to use Max and therefore will neither be rendering a lot nor rendering large files, you'll get much more use out of the faster single cores. With this configuration, you can pick and choose what you need right now and can always expand the system later. You could even go with one processor in this motherboard and then add another later as you need... primarily when you get into more rendering.

Since it's rather early in your "digital career" I'd invest a lot of money in the case, motherboard, and PSU right now and enjoy the peace of mind that you have a fast and solid platform from which you can just upgrade the rest of the components as needed.

dvd burner I have no idea about ??
mouse and keyboard is subjective and everyone will like different pieces... get to your local office store and just try them on to see if they "fit".

cheers!

tricky777
03-17-2006, 06:39 PM
Looks like i'll have extra money left.:)

-Thank you very much for help tecton3d :thumbsup:

tecton3d
03-17-2006, 06:46 PM
That's just what I'd do assuming I was in your situation... there many ways to build a fast and expandable system, others will have different preferences... those specs are just my recommendation.

Cheers!

CGTalk Moderation
03-17-2006, 06:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.