PDA

View Full Version : Lightfog problems in Mental Ray

ankheilw
03-16-2006, 05:09 PM
Hello,

I am trying to create atmospheric shadows in a mental ray using a spot light with lightfog. This is a pretty simple process in Software Rendering, but in mental ray, I can't seem to get any shadows to appear. Check out the image below:

http://www.lightfiretech.com/Images/Lightmap_Problem.jpg

Any help that you guys could give would be great.

Thanks

pixelmonk
03-16-2006, 05:39 PM
Hello,

I am trying to create atmospheric shadows in a mental ray using a spot light with lightfog. This is a pretty simple process in Software Rendering, but in mental ray, I can't seem to get any shadows to appear. Check out the image below:

http://www.lightfiretech.com/Images/Lightmap_Problem.jpg

Any help that you guys could give would be great.

Thanks

raytracing for the light turned on?

T.S. Cosky
03-17-2006, 01:32 AM
The process for fog in Mental Ray is a bit different than it is for the maya render. While there could be times when you want the light itself to emmit fog, I have found it is much faster, and more controllable to create a fog box instead. If you do a search for Parti volume on the forum you will get a few tutorial threads on how to do this.

ankheilw
03-23-2006, 10:41 PM
Thanks Cosky,

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any straightforward tutorials that detail the use of parti volumes. Maybe I'm missing something. Maya's help is only good at telling me what parti volume is and what the controlable attributes are.

I tried creating a volume primitive (Cube) and trying to get volumetric effects to show up in that, but I haven't had any luck at all.

Any help that ayone out there can give would be huge.

Thanks in advance.

krazyrokr
03-24-2006, 05:18 AM
In your cone shape for your spotlight, under Render Stats, check "Volume Samples Overide" and up the samples until you see a difference.

You might also want to use mental ray Shadow Maps and not the normal maya depth maps.

CGTalk Moderation
03-24-2006, 05:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.