PDA

View Full Version : Video: Animation shows how Ferrari split (Forensic Animation)

RobertoOrtiz
03-16-2006, 03:36 PM
>>LINK<< (http://www.yahoo.com/s/280417)

_R

PS I know the quality is bad. That is the a reason why I posted this. This king of CG is being used professionally. Keep that in mind.

yenvalmar
03-16-2006, 04:06 PM
when it happened. forensic animation isnt a field i think most people on this forum want to get into, i dont think i'd take the visual quality as an indication of much..

LoTekK
03-16-2006, 04:22 PM
Good lord, what is up with the obnoxious flashing ground plane?! :argh:

noisewar
03-16-2006, 04:44 PM
In some ways, flashy artistic CG would just get in the way. These are meant to be used in court, and their accuracy and clinical simplicity count for more.

ppself
03-16-2006, 04:57 PM
yea that was crappy animation skillz, but what im freaking over is the fact that video game exec owns a million dollar ferrari enzo. maybe hes the exec for grand theft auto or need for speed :P

dbates
03-16-2006, 04:58 PM
In some ways, flashy artistic CG would just get in the way. These are meant to be used in court, and their accuracy and clinical simplicity count for more.

Sure, but couldn't it look just a little better? :)

MrPositive
03-16-2006, 05:23 PM
Boy that was bad. At what point do you say, "hell I don't care about the flashing ground" and just turn it in with your name on it?

ntmonkey
03-16-2006, 05:33 PM
yea that was crappy animation skillz, but what im freaking over is the fact that video game exec owns a million dollar ferrari enzo. maybe hes the exec for grand theft auto or need for speed :P

I think this is for the Gizmondo exec. Not even near as popular as GTA or NFS. And that car wasn't paid for I don't think. It's amazing what happens when you get a hold of shareholder's money.

Man, I want an Enzo now. :D

peace,

Lu

dbates
03-16-2006, 05:34 PM
You can probably get that one for less than retail price!

(Assembly required, though.)

mmkelly011881
03-16-2006, 05:36 PM
Super Japanese Seizure ROBOTS!!!

haha yeah... the jury will never survive this

kaiser_pro
03-16-2006, 05:54 PM
i love how the announcer sounded suprised that they car split in half.... i think most things would do the same if you twatted them into pole at 160mph

pearson
03-16-2006, 06:31 PM
It's not just this animation though. I see ads in print, or even on TV, that have pretty bad quality CG in them. I just find it hard to believe that some people get paid for that kind of quality.

Sign me up!! :p

heehee222
03-16-2006, 06:44 PM
Can't see the video, must be a mac thing. :sad:

noisewar
03-16-2006, 08:11 PM
Sure, but couldn't it look just a little better? :)

You're right, that flashing ground thing has NOTHING goin' for it. Ugh.

devin
03-16-2006, 08:22 PM
Coming from someone in the industry, forensic anim. doesn't have to be this bad unless the deadline and budget were just ruthlessly low. Noting that, I still don't think I could live with myself letting anything of this quality out the door.

Lordiego01
03-16-2006, 08:31 PM
WOW! That video sucks!

I honestly think I could do better with the extremely limited photo editing app on my cell-phone.

Neil
03-16-2006, 09:42 PM
animation sucked. everyone knows that.
they're obviously using more dynamics driven software, versus eye candy software. Happens with dynamic rendering. WHy they need to accurately simulate a car crash.... got me. Do I need a video to prove to me that if you crash a car into a telephone pole that it's gonna get messed up?

On a weirder note.. why is this turned into such big news?
http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/enzo/index.php
There are like tons of articles about this.

The articles should be about the fact that Gizmondo execs are RICHHHHHH off of this disasterous piece of hardware, and the car is there to prove it.

noisewar
03-16-2006, 11:29 PM
they're obviously using more dynamics driven software, versus eye candy software. Happens with dynamic rendering. WHy they need to accurately simulate a car crash.... got me. Do I need a video to prove to me that if you crash a car into a telephone pole that it's gonna get messed up?

On a weirder note.. why is this turned into such big news?
http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/enzo/index.php
There are like tons of articles about this.

The articles should be about the fact that Gizmondo execs are RICHHHHHH off of this disasterous piece of hardware, and the car is there to prove it.

Several reasons, actually.

1. The gizmondo CEO claimed it was not himself but some random german guy who did the driving.
2. Random german guy has not been found.
3. Gizmundo CEO was found with a bleeding lip. Only blood found in the car was on the dirver's side airbag.
4. Also in the car was a loaded pistol.

As for the need for a realistic CG re-enactment, well if this case turns from a scene of stupidity to a scene of crime, then every little bit will be important as lawyers use every millisecond of the video to sway the jury. Not everyone has an easy time visulizing a crash like this in their mind.

Stefan-Morrell
03-17-2006, 12:40 AM
Can't see the video, must be a mac thing. :sad:

ditto,& I'm not on a mac,I can see the Pantene advertisement & hear the ferrari video..just can't see anything :\

here's another (minor) ferrari crash found while looking for a Quicktime link of the other one
http://blog.myarchive.us/?p=204#more-204

flipnap
03-17-2006, 02:20 AM
ha ha, hey, when i was running my own company doing "regular" animation and effects, a local law firm caught wind and came in with a forensic animaiton request for court. never having done this, i basically took the police scan of the accident and mapped it onto a ground plane, only so i could generate the course of the car. Planning on going all the way with lighting and good models and whatever. I brought the client in after one day to show him my "rough pass" and he loved it, i didnt even remove the police scan. I planned on two weeks worth of work when i charged him. But they loved the wireframe and simplicity.. payed me handsomely for it... they didnt want any colors, shadows, nothing.. i even rendered it with all the HUDs on in maya (frame counter, poly count,etc) and they FLIPPED!! ha ha, man theres some good money to be made there.... and its one of the few fields i can think of that they love poser models!! ha ha, there you go

tevih
03-17-2006, 02:17 PM
...But they loved the wireframe and simplicity.. payed me handsomely for it... they didnt want any colors, shadows, nothing.. i even rendered it with all the HUDs on in maya (frame counter, poly count,etc) and they FLIPPED!! ha ha, man theres some good money to be made there.... and its one of the few fields i can think of that they love poser models!! ha ha, there you go

Because the HUDS and wireframe made it look high tech... :rolleyes:

dbates
03-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Coming from someone in the industry, forensic anim. doesn't have to be this bad unless the deadline and budget were just ruthlessly low.

Deadline: 20 minutes?

CupOWonton
03-17-2006, 02:49 PM
Wow... I work too damn hard if people can get away with this kind of stuff on a high profile crash.

CupOWonton
03-17-2006, 02:52 PM
they're obviously using more dynamics driven software, versus eye candy software.

I realy dont see any smooth motion to even assume that was physics driven. Especialy how they 'tossed' the character out of the car.

havokzprodigy
03-17-2006, 03:08 PM
I realy dont see any smooth motion to even assume that was physics driven. Especialy how they 'tossed' the character out of the car.

Ditto
The jerky moition of the car doesn't seem like there is any physics software used at all.

mrloco
03-17-2006, 03:37 PM
that animation reminded me of the really old game called STUNTS, you guys should play it, it's great.

tevih
03-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Yea, sure the animation was poop, and they probably had some intern no-experience type of guy doing the 3D - thing is, the expense comes from the actual forensice; the 3D guy had to work with experts who figured out precisely what happened. OR, the forensics expert himself did that animation, and only uses el-cheapo software, and doesn't know too much about it. Might this be a field real CGers should get into?

rawshark
03-17-2006, 04:33 PM
I dunno - after the crash sequence I think the CG was pretty good. That dude talking about the airbags was almost photoreal.

CupOWonton
03-17-2006, 04:40 PM
I dunno - after the crash sequence I think the CG was pretty good. That dude talking about the airbags was almost photoreal.

Yeah, no kidding, every time I try to make a voice generate on a computer it sounds like Stephen Hawkings, or Garry. Dirty Shizno.

Neil
03-17-2006, 04:54 PM
Ditto
The jerky moition of the car doesn't seem like there is any physics software used at all.

See, I account for the jerky motion because it's calculating all the forces on every frame. If it were a nonlinear animation, doesn't it pretty much default to smooth curves?

Oh well, i have no clue how they did it, so I dunno, but it looks very similar to bridge and weather simulations that are calculation driven.

XLNT-3d
03-17-2006, 05:35 PM
It's not just this animation though. I see ads in print, or even on TV, that have pretty bad quality CG in them. I just find it hard to believe that some people get paid for that kind of quality.

Sign me up!!

The animation was done by the LA Police Department. They actually use HVE and other vehicle sim software so they probably did the animation. If they exported the motion to add the split or throw a character out of the vehicle, then they might have run it through LW, Max or MAYA. It depends on their preference. In Colorado, the Denver police department uses Max. In Maryland, the Montgomery Police use LW. So animators probably did not work on the animation, but rather someone licensed to carry a firearm so watch what you say. Also, the analysis is based on a police report and investigation, not vehicle accident reconstruction experts which are usually engineers. They probably did the analysis fast enough to make the news, so many shortcuts were taken I am sure.

Yea, sure the animation was poop, and they probably had some intern no-experience type of guy doing the 3D - thing is, the expense comes from the actual forensice; the 3D guy had to work with experts who figured out precisely what happened. OR, the forensics expert himself did that animation, and only uses el-cheapo software, and doesn't know too much about it. Might this be a field real CGers should get into?

PC Crash is $3,000. HVE is $20,000. The cheapest crap they could've used would've ben LW, MAX or MAYA. It's just like animation software, it doesn't matter how much or little you spend, it is how you use it. As far as a field for "real CGers", everyone should stay far away from forensic work. It is a horrible field and doesn't pay squat. Please stay away at all cost and leave the miserable few of us to suffer on our own.

chrisWhite
03-17-2006, 06:29 PM
As far as a field for "real CGers", everyone should stay far away from forensic work. It is a horrible field and doesn't pay squat. Please stay away at all cost and leave the miserable few of us to suffer on our own.
Really? Here I was thinking this might be something I could jump in on during college to help pay the bills, not much of a film industry here in CO. You sound like you may be familiar with the forensic animation industry in Denver, any comments on it?

XLNT-3d
03-17-2006, 09:25 PM
Really? Here I was thinking this might be something I could jump in on during college to help pay the bills, not much of a film industry here in CO. You sound like you may be familiar with the forensic animation industry in Denver, any comments on it?

I got my first animation gig in Denver with the forensic thing. Now I am stuck like a dinosaur in a tar put. I jumped in it to help pay the bills and get some experience. Plus it was a great internship. Now I am all screwed up in the head. When someone sees a car accident and say "I hope everyone is ok", I am thinking "I wonder which side is going to hire us to do an animation on this one". Then I pull over and take pictures for texture maps. I really need therapy now. The last thing this industry needs is a high influx of great talent and creativity.

Think of it like dating and marriage. It is something to do for fun and while in college, but if you hang out too long, you might get married!

You can still be saved.......RUN RUN RUN for you life.

yenvalmar
03-18-2006, 05:48 AM
I got my first animation gig in Denver with the forensic thing. Now I am stuck like a dinosaur in a tar put..

lol i got my first games gig in baltimore and i felt the same way for a long time. i've taken a big pay cut to give up doing games work full time to try to make some other stuff happen. fortunately i'm not married with kids or anything :)

CGTalk Moderation
03-18-2006, 05:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.