PDA

View Full Version : Clearspeed in talks with AMD about co-processor

daart
03-16-2006, 03:54 PM
"Clearspeed, the Bristol parallel processor company, is in talks with AMD about developing a closely-coupled co-processor to soup up the AMD multi-core family of x86 processors.

“Clearspeed is talking to AMD about producing a closely-coupled co-processor,” said Jeff Underhill, business development manager for 64-bit embedded applications at AMD.

The talks may be the result of an awareness of the stunning performance of the IBM/Sony/Toshiba microprocessor Cell."

Link (http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articles/2006/03/15/37936/ClearspeedplansAMDco-processorlinkup.htm)

Szos
03-16-2006, 11:30 PM
Interesting.

DevilHacker
03-17-2006, 02:33 AM
Interesting.
I concur...
:love:

[The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.]

mustique
03-17-2006, 09:29 AM
Very interesting...
Does this mean we'll get task specific CPU architectures?
Hope so. I mean some people send only mail and edit datasheets,
while others might struggle to render frames with the exact same general purpose
CPU architecture. That made sense business wise, but never made any sense from
a user point of view.

Beamtracer
03-17-2006, 09:52 AM
"The talks may be the result of an awareness of the stunning performance of the IBM/Sony/Toshiba microprocessor Cell."
If AMD is talking about competing with Cell, they must be referring to servers, as there is no Cell for desktop processors.

I wonder which company initiated the talks.... AMD or Clearspeed?

CGTalk Moderation
03-17-2006, 09:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.