PDA

View Full Version : ROBERTO's BULLHORN: TIMELIMITS ON SKETCHES! Time to Vote!

RobertoOrtiz
03-16-2006, 02:25 PM
Ok the timelimit experiment this week has been going better than I could have dreamed of.

So people, do you want this be a PERMANENT feature of the forum?

Ok vote

JAY : Yes I want random time limits on topics
NAY : The old system was ok.

-R

digital-bobert
03-16-2006, 02:31 PM
I love this idea Roberto. It seemed like for a while some of the sketches were starting to look like fully rendered paintings. The time limit has helped keep the freshness back into the pics.

Overchord
03-16-2006, 02:57 PM
Yup I'm also in favour for time limits as a permanent feature. I think it both provides more challenge in general, the opportunity to do more than one if you are on a roll one day, and it levels the playing field a bit.
While some of the sketches where people used 3-4 hours on were truly impressive I don't think you can really ccall it a "sketch" any more :)

JTD
03-16-2006, 02:59 PM
But at the same time, you can't put a time limit on art. So if some people go over the limit then that's just the way it is.

I think a combination would work and each one would lend itself to certain topics. For example:

Time limits for: Green
No time limits for: 140 pirates attack 140 monkeys

Or maybe just surprise us one way or the other, "No time limit," or "25 minutes"

LadyMedusa
03-16-2006, 03:00 PM
I say YAY, but whit a few exeptions. Like for example the "Matte Painting" (obviously) and "The Fundamentals"-threads.
It forces us to really try speed up, wich is personally one of the reasons I "joined" the group. And it keeps things a little more sketchy

Edit: Noo~~ I take that back, those could have limits too, just a little longer

brunowerneck
03-16-2006, 03:01 PM
thanks for doing this Roberto, it's a great idea

- the time limits are helpfull indeed, however I fell a new topic should be trown out every week (instead of every day). I work full-time, and I was considering doing a sketch for "billy the kid" but a new topic already took over this morning, and that' was a bit discouraging... I know it's called 'daily sketch' for a reason. Perhaps an individual can post 1 sketch once a day, but the same topic would run for an entire week.

- I also feel the daily sketch should be on is own category, not under WIP 2D forum . It's hard to find, specially if you're new to the site or if it's your first time looking fr that sort of thing, plus I'm sure the artists could use some exposure... maybe a forum topic called "speedpainting / quick sketch" , I'd seriously love that. :)

cheers -Bruno-

brunowerneck
03-16-2006, 03:07 PM
I should add:
I think a speedpainting is not just about how much time you take but how quick & lose your brush strokes are. I'd vote for giving people, let's say, 35 minutes to an 1 hour.
to me, that's still impressive. An hour is not a whole lot you know...

B

offbeatworlds
03-16-2006, 03:10 PM
I say YES lets keep this feature. It really encourages people to push their paintings into a whole other realm. And also, I think people, including myself, find it very fun, a challenge. So yeah, I think we should keep doing this. Definitely.

TobyArt
03-16-2006, 03:30 PM
I personally like the idea of having time limits as a on and off type thing. In this forum I have seen some insainly great artworks created from a random daily idea. I would hate to think we'd be missing some of those. Most all of the SOTW were great because someone took time on them and went a little past just the sketch fase. I'm not saying irradicate the time limit, I just feel that if we make it permenant. We could be missing out on alot of great art.

JCGA
03-16-2006, 03:50 PM
Yay! If you know that you won't spend more than 45 minutes on a piece, there's no reason to not take the time to paint.

Cyanid
03-16-2006, 04:14 PM
jay/nay, not permanent, just from time to time plz

RedHerring
03-16-2006, 04:18 PM
Nay, having a time limit on these can limit their scope. Some really amazing paintings have come out of this forum and by putting a time limit on them I think we'd see less really stunning pieces.

robinayles
03-16-2006, 04:43 PM
I say JAY and NAY....

I love what has come out of these timed sketches...but also sometimes like to take more time.
So I say...yes, let's impose time limits on SOME, but maybe not ALL...(agree with JTD and Lady Medusa).

So maybe you can alternate it with the topic. If you think its one that needs more time, maybe a 1 hour limit...or sometimes "no time limit" days, but on others vary it like you did this week.
I will say though, that I had a little trouble keeping up with the the time limit was for each day.

What does everyone think about a certain time limit for the week, or is that too restrictive?

By the way, Roberto...I want to thank you for the time and dedication you put into keeping this forum alive. YOU ROCK!! :beer:

Sjimmie
03-16-2006, 04:57 PM
Couldn't you make it something like 'speed sketching fridays'... I like the speed sketching idea and there were some great entries the past week, but it would be a shame if we would mis out on some awesome entries because of the timelimit.

doomdragon
03-16-2006, 05:24 PM
I like the timelimit.

If we make it permanent we could still add some no timelimit sketches.
For example on weekends I guess people just have more time to paint, so maybe have 'no timelimit' sketches on Friday - Sunday and limited on the rest or something.

If it works or doesnt we could just change the amount of 'no timelimit' sketches.

Darksuit
03-16-2006, 05:52 PM
I really like the ideas of time limits. To go back to one of the points made earlier, time limits do force you to jot down the idea faster. One thing that we used to do in Figure drawing class was set time limits to 15 seconds, this was to force you to stop thinking about what you were drawing and just draw. Some things happen when you do that. Your proportions tend to become more acurate, becuase you stop thinking about the proportions and start drawing what you see.

In the case of a daily sketch 4-5 hours is excessive at least in my mind, thats closer to a finished piece than a sketch. I would like to see what some people can do in a quick time limit.

At GDC next week, with any luck Nvidia will be running their Sketch booth contest. Which they were not able to do last year due to space restrictions. The time limit they give on this is 20 minutes. You should see some of the stuff turned out in 20 minutes under pressure. Its a really exciting and creative thing to behold.

I try to get in at least once a day (wednesday, thursday, and friday) for the contest if for nothing else than to get practice. I would like to see what people here could do in 5, 10, 20, 30 minutes - an Hour. When you have only a limited number of minutes to do something it's going to force you to think on your feet and really push yourself.

If I don't get a chance to post between now and next week (due to preping for GDC) come stop by my companies booth (Multiverse booth#849) I will have my Utilikilt on.

augustus
03-16-2006, 06:57 PM
No. In a long run, themes and strict rules are not good. Just put different rules sometimes (time limits, objects we must put into our sketches, limited color palette etc...)

Supervlieg
03-16-2006, 07:12 PM
Jay, all the way

JTD
03-16-2006, 07:25 PM
Utilikilt? No thanks.

jmBoekestein
03-16-2006, 07:43 PM
I say it's a good idea to do a few every week. I'd certainly find more time and challenge in something time limited. However sloppy I usually maybe with time. :)

djtrousdale
03-16-2006, 08:53 PM
Time limit every other day?

The Branch
03-16-2006, 11:35 PM
I really think VARIETY is the best approach as so many others have said for reasons that I can agree with.

Some should be timed.
Some should not.
I think the lean should be on the UN-TIMED because it gives the most freedom and enjoyment for the artist. This should be fun, right? That's why we're motivated to draw everyday. We like to work at our own pace and we like to be challenged to break free of our restraints.

My vote:
RATIO /week = 2 timed/ 3 untimed

Branch.

Drone2222
03-17-2006, 12:10 AM
YAY: I think the timelimits should be a rule/guideline for every sketch, but one that is not enforced. Let me Explain ---

It goes like this. If so inclined, I think you should be able to create a longer piece of any duration that you wish. Then, when you post the pic, you would post weather you were within the time limit or if you went beyond it. That way, when the SOTW and the best sketch for each topic thread is posted, only the timed sketches would be considered.

I also propose, so as not to leave out the longer pieces, that there be a "_OTW" (insert apropriate name in the underscore) that votes on the more finnished and polished longer pieces. So if you really wanted to keep going with your sketch, it could still qualify to be voted on without disadvantaging the timed art. This would only be a vote for just ONE favorite piece from the all longer ones, as apposed to one for each topic.

With these changes I believe that everyone would be happy, and they're not to drastic...
I THINK THIS WOULD BE A GREAT SYSTEM, PLEASE CONSIDER IT OH GODLY ROBERTO!!!

EDIT: I also really want to hear comments and feedback from the members on this idea, if you like it, hate it, would be OK with it, etc.

Geta-Ve
03-17-2006, 12:41 AM
Jay for the time limit, I love it, and it means I have a chance to be as good as everyone else :D

Gord-MacDonald
03-17-2006, 02:32 AM
I love the timelimit - if it is not there I can tend to turn away from the DSG (God forbid!) to do other work. But kept in a 1 hour time limit, of varying lengths - Hey - whats not to like!

I think the time limit also helps us develop strategically (Just what should I concentrate on given that I have only n-minutes to get this task done) - RIGOROUS! RIGOROUS!

Gord

ok this is personal and I probabily will regeret writing it later (my excuse - I have been into the sauce).
My 81 year old father and 75 year old mother were robbed of $6700.00 late last week. The police were way to busy with other "more important" cases to deal with it.
I couldn't handle letting this happen, and today (for a day) became a 'detective'. I am proud to say that as a result of my hard, unrelenting detective work (my current client was very sympathetic), the low lifes who ripped off my parents have been identified on video tape, and are being tracked down as I write this (and I will be on the cops ass if they don't follow through). All of this before a detective was even assigned to the case - go figure!

Ya I know this has nothing to do with cgtalk or DSG - but hey, we all have parents. I just had to speak my mind (a very stressful day for sure!)

Derferman
03-17-2006, 04:31 AM
I have only done one sketch, but I am going to have to agree with the posters who have said that a variety of time limits/no time limits would be the best. I enjoyed the time limit, as it made me work and also didn't allow me to just sit there and spend hours on a piece. This is a daily sketch. Anyhoo, can't wait for more daily sketch, I am a big fan already.

Freakwncy
03-17-2006, 05:01 AM
I say JAY... The time limit really really did pick up the # of people submitting their entries. And I think if you go over the time limit you go over... no big deal... it's your work... its your tablet or house.... I know many people go back and finialize their pieces and that's great.. I think the timelimit kind of gets the juices flowing... but i know that a lot of people that work in the art related field and have timelimits at their main jobs, don't like them... but "i" think the main reason behind this section in the forum is to give those people who don't sketch that often or like myself never have a topic in mind to sketch on... a good starting point... and also doubles as a place to showcase your WIP.. .rather it be a finish sketch in your eye or a partily finish (i'll get back to it when i have more time) sketch... all in all... I say Hooray for Art!.. "Just Draw It!"

ButchMakora
03-17-2006, 06:16 AM
time limit - is the same as one-topic-weeks - nice idea - but not for the whole time!!

sometimes - it is nice... not always.. pleeease!

this week i had a couple of interesting ideas - but because of limit of time i loose my interest in further painting the ideas i didn't get in time!

Mu
03-17-2006, 08:41 AM
I say time limit always (no beating around the bush from me :scream: ). And I say, for some days scale it down to ten minutes or so.
Why?

Because this is a sketch forum folks!

Like Bobby said in his first reply to this thread, people tend to forget that and create fully finished paintings which is absolutely not the point of this area of CGtalk, imho.

I think the time limit revived the DSG because you suddenly really saw sketches again, complete with unfinished areas and mistakes, but also...

- with the very rewarding feeling that you instantly know if that idea works or not.
- with the liveliness and uncompromising roughness of quick work
- with simplicity!

You feel you are on to something with your sketch? By all means, take it further! We got a whole WIP2D forum where you can tweak your vision with helpful comments for weeks on end. And besides, it is not like it was forbidden to exceed the time limit. People just said so in the last few days and that's it.

And Drone2222! I am absolutely not into that idea for one reason:

I hate the voting system. I am lazy as hell and that way of having to bring up all the threads, search through them copying the names - it is driving me crazy. Yet another vote will not get me into this either...:D

But this is the subject of another rant I should be posting some time - I probably won't though, because I know what I want would require a major hack to the database and, well...

Finally,

Roberto! The way you rushed the masses back in to the DSG with a simple yet efficient idea, the way you realized something's not heading for the right direction, the way you generally come up with new ideas all the time is just amazing. Arschcool! (Hey, the rudeness filter will let german words pass through. I should swear more often in german around here:scream: )

Gord! I have been stolen from once and while I am a really (and I mean really) peacelike person this drove me completely wild!

So,
*shakes fist*
you showed 'em, man!
I do hope your parents are still comfortable with where they live and all. Keep an eye on this as it is only normal that they are going to lose some sleep over the fact that you are basically not safe anywhere... sad but true.

robinayles
03-17-2006, 02:18 PM
Mr. Mu makes some good points. I agree that this is supposed to be a "sketch" forum. I know that I've been intimidated at times at what others can do in 45 minutes or an hour...but when it gets pared down to 20 minutes or so...it does level the playing field a bit.

I also agree that its a pain in the wazzoo to vote currently. That's been discussed, but would require some fancy schmancy programming on somebody's part to make it easier.

Gord - sorry to hear about your parents - that sucks no matter their age. But when people pray on the young, weak or elderly it really makes me blow a gasket! I'm glad your detective work has tracked down the video of the culprits. I hope they receive proper punishment.

Freakwncy
03-17-2006, 05:05 PM
Robin and Mr. Mu ... Here a little view on how I vote.. I dont know if this is what you two are currently doing, but this is how I do it..

I just go to the topic that's being vote on...
ie: "In the shadow of the beast"

Click Post Reply (frm there the 1st 15 replies will be post below in a tight order(
without people signature and whatnot...(those usually take up alot of space)

Pick my winner and copy/paste the name in another window with the voting reply already open or you can just jot them down on paper

(*note : if more then 15 post are avail. you'll have to click the " This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread." text at the very bottom to view the rest of the replies)

I hope this helps..

- Freak.

lunat1k
03-17-2006, 08:33 PM
Jay, Roberto, jay.

The Branch
03-17-2006, 09:38 PM
I THINK THIS WOULD MAKE JUST ABOUT EVERYONE HAPPY:

"Suggested" Time limits on everything.

If you want to spend more time, you can.
If you want to follow the limits, you can.

No penalties for anyone.

If you give a time limit of 30 minutes, people will work roughly in that frame. If you hear 20 minutes, you'll feel a bit silly to spend 5 hours on it. But if you hear 30 minutes and it takes you 90 to finish, then that would be acceptable.

More freedom for everyone.
Branch.

RobertoOrtiz
03-17-2006, 09:57 PM
Branch, I like your idea of the suggestion.

Ok people, how do you feel about it?
-R

Mu
03-17-2006, 11:49 PM
I say pull the reins! Don't go easy on us! :D

no seriously, isn't that what it's already like? People clearly stated "spent 10 minutes more on it" or simply "I cheated..." (I think it was Gord... I liked that one...:scream: )

My suggestion is:

If anyone feels he/she wants to spend more than the given timeframe on the sketch (note how I avoided the word time limit) he she is of course free to do so without penalties, but then a WIP has to be posted of what the sketch looked like at the timeframe's end.

doomdragon
03-18-2006, 10:52 AM
That would be ok, but we would have to make clear on what to vote on the sketch of the week votes.

Well not that I think many people sketch to win these, it's just more a way to get a bit attention to the dailysketches, but still it would get confusing. Especially if people vote that are not that familiar with the dailysketch rules, it's allready confusing enough to vote I think.

ogar555
03-18-2006, 03:39 PM
Jay!

And i like Mr.Mu's idea VERY much!

Rani
03-19-2006, 01:09 AM
I think Branch's idea is the way to go (suggested time limits).

daw
03-19-2006, 02:57 PM
I go for Jay!

CGTalk Moderation
03-19-2006, 02:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.