PDA

View Full Version : Layoffs occur at Disney Animation and Circle 7

RobertoOrtiz
03-16-2006, 01:55 PM
Quote:
"Last week Disney CEO Bob Iger, responding to a shareholder’s question about there being a problem with “too many middle managers” at Walt Disney Feature Animation (WDFA), said he didn’t believe Disney had a problem with middle managers. Nevertheless, o-meon.com has confirmed that even as Disney management was preparing for last Friday’s annual meeting the company was continuing the reorganization of its animation division by laying off an unspecified number of “creative” and “development” executives."

>>LINK<< (http://www.o-meon.com/pages/news%26features/n%26f_03-15-06.html)
-R

Titan
03-16-2006, 02:03 PM
that sucks...I feel for those guys and hope they have easy time finding new work....

Shaderhacker
03-16-2006, 02:39 PM
Yea, I've realized that as long as I'm in this business, there's always going to be layoffs..It sucks bigtime to even have a family in this business. It's almost as if you have to live as if you aren't employed because the rug could come right out from under you at anytime.

-M

Papa Lazarou
03-16-2006, 04:37 PM
Less 'creative' executives means better films. These people are a big part of the reason the last bunch of Disney films sucked. This just means more power for the artists. Obviously there is a place for execs and you need to have a few good executives to sort out the busness side of things, but the last thing you want is executives with busness school backgrounds playing creative roles. With these people out of the way, Disney's studio culture can become more like how things are at Pixar, which is more like how things were at Disney in the old days.

These are the people who stayed on when Disney were laying off wave after wave of artists.
I mean it's always sad when people lose their jobs, but this time it's a good thing.

DezFX
03-17-2006, 06:25 AM
As of right now, noone from Circle7 has lost their job. The "boxes packed and taken out of Circle7" were for those of us who are being loaned to WDFA to help work on "Meet The Robinsons" and "American Dog". I am not saying this will not happen, as it is always a possibility...I am simply saying it has not happened, yet.

And don't start this crap about layoffs being a good thing...these are people's lives you are talking about!

de_tomato
03-17-2006, 06:37 AM
Whats those middle managers do anyway? Whats their job? Seriously, in my company, there are quite a number of middle managers which shouldnt be here at all. They speak like they knwo art, when the publisher, make sound, those managers will point finger to us. Guess its a norm for them to do it. So sometimes its better without them.

Breinmeester
03-17-2006, 11:13 AM
Middle managers will find other jobs in other industries. Animation artists have to seek a job in the same industrie. I think it's a good thing Disney is shortening the communication lines between the management and the artists. I do believe it will bring better product.

I heard the other day that when David Stainton left Disney, no artist would sign his goodbye book. That's how populair he made himself with the people that create the content. Of course these are rumours, but it shows how 'in the way' these middle management people are.

FloydBishop
03-17-2006, 11:35 AM
Hopefully, all the artists keep their jobs. If not, and you want to check out Pennsylvania, send me a PM. :)

With all of the bigger houses recently (or about to) have pretty big layoffs, losing your job would suck right now. Best of luck to everyone.

Digiegg
03-17-2006, 12:02 PM
yeah. people shouldn't go on the subject of "It's better if people get fired since they suck".
We're all artists here and not businessmen. Let's help each other out and have a positive attitude. Only way to survive in this world..

phexitol
03-18-2006, 06:16 AM
The people being fired here aren't creative types, they are bloodsucking vampires, hellbent on world domination ;p

OK, but seriously, we're not talking about artists, we're talking about the pointy-haired bastards who stand over artists' shoulders and yell "faster! more lasers! bigger boobs!", and then try and blame those same artists when the movie flops. It is sad when anyone loses their job, but these people are some of the least sympathetic.

DezFX
03-18-2006, 06:35 AM
You do not know what the hell you are talking about. There is not one person at Circle7 who fits the description you just stated. Please do not spout off at the mouth when you are clueless to the facts.

Digitalwool
03-18-2006, 06:43 AM
How can you possibly be so callous about someone being laid off? You've never met the people you're criticizing and you have NO idea what they or their work environment is like. Quite simply its outrageous.

Remember that these forums are read by some of the very people who may interview you one day. Beyond that, have some class. How would you feel to have someone rip into you and your character who has never met you? How would you feel to have someone ridicule you after you've just been laid off?

Shaderhacker
03-18-2006, 03:50 PM
How can you possibly be so callous about someone being laid off? You've never met the people you're criticizing and you have NO idea what they or their work environment is like. Quite simply its outrageous.

Remember that these forums are read by some of the very people who may interview you one day. Beyond that, have some class. How would you feel to have someone rip into you and your character who has never met you? How would you feel to have someone ridicule you after you've just been laid off?

+1

Sometimes I just shake my head in disbelief at some of the comments on these boards.

-M

NOOB!
03-18-2006, 04:00 PM
yaaay stereotype :thumbsup: :scream:

lets hope everyone gets on their feet.

dalmanna
03-18-2006, 04:18 PM
poor sods, the sad thing is that they were most likely the newer staff. as the saying goes 'last in, first out' i'm glad no one at circle 7 got kicked theres a bunch of awesome talent there.

Breinmeester
03-18-2006, 06:10 PM
People, people, let's calm down! It's unnessecary to stereotype people and to say it's justified for a person to be laid off, that's not our call. Let's get off the personal note here.

Businesswise I think a studio in this industry works best when the communication lines between management and the artists that create the creative content are kept short and aren't muddled by too much middle management. So businesswise I can understand this discision. That doesn't mean I don't feel for these people. It's never cool when you get sacked. But let's not make this personal, okay?

phexitol
03-18-2006, 10:31 PM
Sorry if I came across the wrong way. Let me clarify:

I do NOT have sympathy for middle management. I, myself, have been laid off in the past, due to ineptitude on the part of middle management personnel, and have seen countless other hard-working individuals lose their jobs for similar reasons, when many less diligent (as in obviously lazy) individuals are able to remain. I know there is a need for management personnel within creative companies, but too much is always a bad thing. Multiple layers of middle management make companies less efficient, and create communication gulfs that can take years to repair.

I see that there are also artists and technicians being laid off, and those people do have my sincere sympathy.

Next time I'll read the article more closely before making outrageous statements, but I make no promises about not making outrageous statements ;p

rebo
03-18-2006, 10:48 PM
Thats life, middle managers will find another job in another firm.

If middle managers are not performing and able to justify their position then good riddance!

EpShot
03-18-2006, 10:49 PM
from what i've heard about disney.. (probably shouldn't go into detail)

nixing much of their middle management, would be a VERY good thing for disney.
I'm talking layers and layers of managers, whose only concern is to please the managers above them.

to be honest, i do feel bad for those getting laid off. Its probabyl not their fault, but the structure that disney obtained over the years, they get stuck into a very rigid form where their livelyhood depnd on their ability to play office politics. They need to eat right? and this is their bread and butter. Some of them may have even been competant artist, but in that environment, they would not be able to excersize it.

i also would say that the stereotyping here is wrong, the middle management isn't the same as the creative directors(often inept ones judging from some experiances here on cgtalk) that every one seems to be describing. The middle managment isn't directly invovled, but they can certainly tie the hands of the creative directors in what they can actauly express. something we certianly felt when we worked on twice upon a x-mas.

while i feel sorry for them, again i think this can be very good for disney, if it is handled correctly.

$0.02

pogonip
03-19-2006, 06:54 AM
You do not know what the hell you are talking about. There is not one person at Circle7 who fits the description you just stated. Please do not spout off at the mouth when you are clueless to the facts.

Try not to get to upset by some peoples comments . A lot of young teens surf these boards and say just about anything to get some attention or to look smart or cool . I think you can almost gureentee a pro or hell even anyone who actually has a job would'nt make idiotic comments like some of the people in this thread . Anyways I say good luck to anyone getting liad off , but if you had a job at Disney to begin with that means you are masterful at your craft and will have no problem looking for greener pastures !

beaker
03-19-2006, 08:03 PM
With all of the bigger houses recently (or about to) have pretty big layoffs, losing your job would suck right now. Best of luck to everyone.Everyone is still hiring right now(Except Sony because they overhired late last year). Disney Feature animation is even still hiring artists.

Shaderhacker
03-19-2006, 08:14 PM
Everyone is still hiring right now(Except Sony because they overhired late last year). Disney Feature animation is even still hiring artists.

No they aren't. Where'd you get your info from?

From what I hear (very good inside source), they are trying to shuffle artists around to keep people employed. No new people have been brought on in a long while (at least not artists).

-M

beaker
03-19-2006, 08:25 PM
I didn't say they were hiring for everything, but you guys are still desperate for lighter/compositors.

Shaderhacker
03-20-2006, 12:48 AM
I didn't say they were hiring for everything, but you guys are still desperate for lighter/compositors.

I heard the lighting departments are in need, but they still aren't hiring yet. I think they are looking to cross-train some people as well as take some from Circle 7.

-M

beaker
03-20-2006, 07:54 AM
Disney has posted lighter jobs a few times in the last month after the whole Pixar announcement. One was just a week ago.

Obraxis
03-20-2006, 08:37 AM
Losing your job sucks. Nomatter who you are or what job you do. Middle managers have families aswell.

I hope there are no layoffs at Circle7. Wish you guys all the best of luck if you get shuffled.

jewalker
03-21-2006, 12:10 AM
I'd like to make several comments on this. First, Toy Story 3 and another Disney film, Gnomeo and Juliet, has been cancelled. Circle 7 as a business unit has been shut down. This means EVERYONE involved in these movies will be affected. This includes modelers, animators, story artists, software programmers, tech support, AND middle managers. All of Disney's production schedules are being adjusted. Some are moving up, some are moving back. Many of the people who were working on Toy Story 3 will be placed on other productions. Many people will not, and that is always sad.

Second, where is it written that middle management as a whole are a group of lazy bureaucrats who interfere with the hard working people and they should be eliminated? Also, how many of you actually work at Disney, and know how the management structure is? I believe that opening and shortening lines of communication is a good thing. That doesn't mean that a manager has to be fired to do it. I understand some of you have bad experiences with management. There are lazy and incompetent managers who make bad decisions and ruin their department. But there are also incompetent animators, as well as incompetent CEOs.

There are a lot of changes going on at Disney right now, most of which I think will be positive for Disney and movie goers. However, some very good people are about to lose their jobs, and that is never a good thing.

Breinmeester
03-21-2006, 02:47 PM
There are a lot of changes going on at Disney right now, most of which I think will be positive for Disney and movie goers. However, some very good people are about to lose their jobs, and that is never a good thing.

QFA

I'm sure when these changes pay off and the new Disney will flourish the people laid off will be the first to be hired again. Let's hope the best for Disney. I do believe they're heading in the right direction ($0.02).

Frank Lake
03-21-2006, 08:13 PM
I totally love it when people buy into the hype of "shortened lines of communication means better creativity/productivity/film". Folks it's ONLY about creating more profit by reducing overhead, in this case salaried employees. Shortening communication lines is nothing but hype that any 'smart' manager will pedal to his/her workers.

MartinGFoster
03-21-2006, 09:11 PM
I heard the lighting departments are in need, but they still aren't hiring yet. I think they are looking to cross-train some people as well as take some from Circle 7.

-M

Not exactly. There's quite a few lighter/compositors starting or recently started, including myself. There weren't any lighters/compositors at Circle 7 yet, so that's why they had to get folks from outside for that position.

MartinGFoster
03-21-2006, 09:30 PM

-M

Not exactly. There's quite a few lighter/compositors starting or recently started, including myself. There weren't any lighters/compositors at Circle 7 yet, so that's why they had to get folks from outside for that position.

jewalker
03-21-2006, 10:14 PM
I totally love it when people buy into the hype of "shortened lines of communication means better creativity/productivity/film". Folks it's ONLY about creating more profit by reducing overhead, in this case salaried employees. Shortening communication lines is nothing but hype that any 'smart' manager will pedal to his/her workers.

I don't necessarily think that shortened lines of communication leads to more productivity, but open lines of communications does. There are lots of ways to open lines of communication without firing people.

Breinmeester
03-22-2006, 08:46 AM

BS. Sure, salaries are always the biggest overhead costs, but it's closely followed by bad work management. You can save costs incredibly if the pipeline is short and content only has to go down in one direction instead of bouncing up and down because of mistakes or lack of good communication. It even has a big role in the smallest of groups working together on one project. I had my own business once and I dealt with it every day.

CGTalk Moderation
03-22-2006, 08:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.