PDA

View Full Version : Eovia announces Hexagon 2!!!

RingoM
03-16-2006, 02:51 PM
Eovia Announces Hexagon 2 Press Release #54
For Immediate Release Evolution of innovative polygonal modeling software delivers exceptional environment for the creation of
‘ready-to-render’ 3D models
Mountain View, CA, USA – March 14, 2006 – Eovia™ Corporation, developer and publisher of leading 3D animation, modeling and rendering solutions, today introduces Hexagon 2. This more comprehensive version of the popular 3D polygonal and subdivision modeler now includes a multitude of valuable features that allow 3D artists and illustrators to build, texture and preview detailed 3D models prior to rendering.

Model Your Inspiration Using Advanced Features
This evolution of the Hexagon release delivers artists an enhanced set of tools for modeling, refining, UV mapping, texturing and previewing intricate 3D creations. In addition to the extensive modeling features found in the original Hexagon release, such as polyhedral, subdivision and advanced surface modeling, Eovia Hexagon 2 incorporates highly intuitive freehand brush modeling. Using a wide range of displacement brushes, 3D artists can easily refine 3D models by smoothing, pinching, and inflating the geometry or by adding high-resolution details.

Significantly enhanced texturing features have been added to Hexagon 2. A comprehensive UV-mapping module including one-click UV-Unwrap enables 3D artists to easily apply UV-maps on 3D objects. Through the new 3D paint tools, users can apply textures using brushes and imported textures or choose from a large choice of predefined textures, provided by Eovia’s partner Spiral Graphics.

With this release, Hexagon 2 now also is compatible with all popular graphics tablets, such as the Wacom line, to enable more precise and flexible modeling and texturing results. To improve workflow, Hexagon 2 delivers immediate previews of fully detailed and textured models by way of ultra-fast Ambient Occlusion simulating Global Illumination, and real-time shadows. Once a 3D model created with Hexagon 2 is ready to be rendered, it can be seamlessly exported in native .CAR format to Eovia Carrara™, Hexagon’s ideal and reliable 3D rendering companion, or another rendering software through standard 3D formats.

Pricing and Availability
Eovia expects to ship Hexagon 2 in April, for both Macintosh OS X and Windows. Hexagon 2 will be competitively priced at US$269. Customers who purchase Hexagon 1 between March 1 and April 30, 2006, will be eligible for a no-charge upgrade to Hexagon 2. Upgrade price is US$119 for Hexagon 1 owners. Eovia is also accepting pre-orders of the electronic download version (ESD) of the Hexagon 2 upgrade through the Eovia e-store. Those who pre-order this ESD upgrade will benefit from a special upgrade price of US$99, and bonus gift valued at US$30. Complete details and instructions for claiming the no-charge upgrade are available on the Eovia website.

More information about Eovia Hexagon 2 software can be found on the Eovia website at: www.eovia.com/products/hexagon/hexagon2.asp (http://www.eovia.com/products/hexagon/hexagon2.asp)

About Eovia – www.eovia.com
Eovia is dedicated to providing unique solutions for creative professionals as well as those just starting their journey into 3D. The company’s award-winning 3D modeling, animation, and rendering tools offer superior versatility, affordability and unmatched ease-of-use. Eovia was founded in November 2000, with offices in both the US and Europe.

Eovia Media Contacts

Worldwide (except Europe)
Karen Smyth
pr@eovia.com
+1 (650) 938-0515 x101

Europe

Stefan Blomberg
press_europe@eovia.fr
+33 (0) 5 56 13 71 53

© 2006, Eovia. All rights reserved. Carrara and Amapi are registered trademarks or trademarks of Eovia Corp and Eovia SA in the United States and / or in the other countries.

Copyright Eovia 2006.

paintbox
03-16-2006, 02:59 PM
This sure looks good. Too good almost :)

Seems to do what Z-Brush does without the clunky interface. (I might be mistaken here, i've only used the demo of Z-Brush sofar)

-JT-
03-16-2006, 03:35 PM
I'm waiting for Silo 2 keeping an eye on Modo 2 and who comes first out from nowhere ?? Hexagon 2.
The features look great, now we'll see about the workflow. One thing is sure, the devs are fast.

Roger Eberhart
03-16-2006, 03:41 PM
Will the Mac version be Universal Binary? I guess it doesn't matter since I'll be able to dual boot into Windows XP (the contest has been won).

Roger Eberhart
03-16-2006, 03:50 PM
Can you use multiple layers to paint a texture? This is the biggest reason I use Bodypaint vs. ZBrush for my 3D painting. From the movies on the Eovia site, it looks like the same approach ZBrush currently has (ie. one color layer).

brudney
03-16-2006, 03:55 PM
sounds very interesting and promising. I'd LOVE to see an app that would compete with zbrush in the field of highpoly sculpting and texturing. i've used zb for quite a bit now but i still find its UI to be pretty awkward and cumbersome...
i'm REALLY looking forward to trying this one out.

eMPeck
03-16-2006, 04:42 PM
Let's see what Silo's developers keep in their hats, but this one look quite good, cannot wait to test demo when it's out.

cyartist
03-16-2006, 05:25 PM
Looks like this is going to hurt Silo and Zbrush Market share.

pixelmonk
03-16-2006, 05:42 PM
Looks like this is going to hurt Silo and Zbrush Market share.

nah. depends on implimentation of what they claim the software can do, but I doubt it'll hurt anyone's market share.

gruvsyco
03-16-2006, 05:50 PM
As a small side note, Thomas from Eovia upped the prize on the Steam Punk challenge (http://www.subdivisionmodeling.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32) at SubD. It now includes Hexagon 2 and Carrera 5.

markyjerky
03-16-2006, 06:07 PM
Hexagon 2.0 Videos and features sound/look GREAT !

I've been watching SILO for years and playing with 3Delight Procedural displacement. But there's notrhing like hand placement of paint and displacement. Great UV editing. Seems to hit a low enough price point for me.

I don't see much of a downside.

What I would like to know more about is how eovia expects Hexagon users to render. I see a lot of Hexagon/Cararra labels on the items in the gallery. Does this mean that the Hexagon rendering is not sufficient for most person wanting to cast their models in a nice "light". It sounds like decent rendering is in Hexagon. I just wonder if some of Hexagon is of course crippled in order to get you to buy companion products. I'd like to understand the areas where Cararra and Hexagon are overlapping now and where this might lead in the future.

cyartist
03-16-2006, 06:10 PM
nah. depends on implimentation of what they claim the software can do, but I doubt it'll hurt anyone's market share.

Trust me in the hands of the right artist this is going to give others a run for their money.

This is Silo and Zbrush in one package. Granted not as strong as each other seperately but has a workflow that has some similar things in one package.

SoulVector
03-16-2006, 06:21 PM
Looks like that software have matured a lot. That is really fast development that they have. The texturing capabilities anf OpenGL display look real good and quite responsive. I´m impressed!! Unfortunatelly none of silo/modo/hex etc have released a linux version... I´m still dreaming of a native zbrush for dual 64-bit linux workstation.

chadtheartist
03-16-2006, 06:52 PM
The basic volume sculpting doesn't look that impressive to me. What I find interesting though is the texture capabilities. I hope they come out with a demo for this, as I'd buy the app just for the texturing stuff.

Modo is looking pretty overpriced right now. Especially considering that Hexagon looks like it's going to be beating the new Modo to market. But the proof will be in the pudding, so I'd like to try out the demo before I can make an informed decision.

Competition looks to be heating up. Mudbox, Silo, Hexagon, and Zbrush. I wonder how many other 3D sculpting apps are in the works that we don't know about? heh

Xevious
03-16-2006, 07:12 PM
A few reviews for Hexagon 1 stated that it had some bugs to work out. I wonder if they ironed all that out.

Lone Deranger
03-16-2006, 10:10 PM
heh... what 3d app. nowadays doesn't have it's share of bugs upon release. It's become quite common standard these days to release a new version with known bugs in them unfortunately. :( That's something developers should take better note of and improve upon rather than just slapping in new 'fashionable' features.

A few reviews for Hexagon 1 stated that it had some bugs to work out. I wonder if they ironed all that out.

vlad74
03-17-2006, 12:24 AM
That looks really impressive. No one mentioned how many polys it can handle. I am really curious if Hexagon can compete with zbrush in this matter.

Bael
03-17-2006, 12:39 AM
Well from the video, it doesn't look like it can handle near the resolution that ZB currently can.. but it looks interesting none-the-less. Will be nice to see some hands-on feedback once its released.

Layer01
03-17-2006, 01:45 AM
yeah looks iinteresting, but my money is still with silo. and unless they stuff up big time it will be for a while. the workflow in that app is so streamline and intuitive...its next to none imho.
there are some nice features but..i'll wait and see.
and considering i will get both siloV2 and modo 201 upon release, i see no need for this yet :p

JA-forreal
03-17-2006, 02:06 AM
Now I'm sold.

JA-forreal
03-17-2006, 02:11 AM
The basic volume sculpting doesn't look that impressive to me. What I find interesting though is the texture capabilities. I hope they come out with a demo for this, as I'd buy the app just for the texturing stuff.

For $249 it's a good deal. I'm wondering about it's high density map output options. If thats all good then it will be great.

Nichod
03-17-2006, 03:43 AM
Looks to be a great app. I might be a bit biased though.

yolao
03-17-2006, 04:21 AM
wow.....and i mean wow...i just saw the videos on hexagon site...they look amazing..

what a surprise...i wonder what the guys from modo, silo, and zbrush are goin to think after see this....and is goin to be out in a few weeks....sculpt, texture, paint, render preview...i mean that`s really something...

i wonder if hexagon 2 will have highlight selection like silo or softimage and spin edge or quad?...i heard that the current version does not have spin edge...

Totyo
03-17-2006, 07:44 AM
If you have some questions about Hexagon 2, i'll try to answer to what I can answer ;)

vlad74: for the maximum number of polygons it depends of your computer (ram, video cards, etc.) And it's easy to add polygons, but after, it's still need to be usable! :)
For your info, I can work with 2+ millions of polygons on my PC (x800 Pro and 2GB of ram) and I was able to switch to 5.6 millions of polygons.. but had an openGL problem (video card memory full I think..).But Hexagon have a different philosphie than Zbrush. For micro details, like skin pores (that's the good word I hope), it's better to apply a bump, than "modeling" it, even if Hexagon will export it as a displace map.

JA-forreal: Hexagon 2 will have an option to export the final mesh, or the controle shape with a displacement map, etc.

Roger Eberhart: Eovia is working on an Universal binaries, they have always support the mac and we will continue forever! :), but it will be for a free 2.x update if I'm not wrong.
For the paint layers, currently, no layers (Yes, it's a miss, but already a lot of stuff to code ;) and this feature surely come in an update!

yeoj
03-17-2006, 11:02 AM
looks good! :thumbsup:

Nichod
03-17-2006, 01:39 PM
5.6 million polygons. Nice.

yolao
03-17-2006, 02:29 PM
-Is there goin to be specular map painting?

-In the video where you show the whole process from the begining to the final render i notice that when you are painting the ground the system get freeze a couple of times?..why was that?

vlad74
03-17-2006, 03:10 PM
If you have some questions about Hexagon 2, i'll try to answer to what I can answer ;)

vlad74: for the maximum number of polygons it depends of your computer (ram, video cards, etc.) And it's easy to add polygons, but after, it's still need to be usable! :)
For your info, I can work with 2+ millions of polygons on my PC (x800 Pro and 2GB of ram) and I was able to switch to 5.6 millions of polygons.. but had an openGL problem (video card memory full I think..).But Hexagon have a different philosphie than Zbrush. For micro details, like skin pores (that's the good word I hope), it's better to apply a bump, than "modeling" it, even if Hexagon will export it as a displace map.

Thanks Totyo. It seems that this little fella is able to do really cool things and I think I will follow it's progress very closely. Cheers mate.

yolao
03-17-2006, 03:10 PM
I'm waiting for Silo 2 keeping an eye on Modo 2 and who comes first out from nowhere ?? Hexagon 2.
The features look great, now we'll see about the workflow. One thing is sure, the devs are fast.

same here...

Bliz
03-17-2006, 03:21 PM
The texture painting looks really nice but I'm wondering how that works when you export to another [non Carrera] format? Does Hexagon give you an alpha map for each seperate texture you paint on the object?

Totyo
03-17-2006, 03:35 PM
yolao: No specular painting yet. The freeze happens on different occasions. First, because of my screen capture software :) but on the first click, it's because it load the texture to reveal and create this kind of lag. It will be fix until the final release.

Bliz: you can export in OBJ, and generate each specific channel: diffus, transparency, bump and displacement. We will also work later on FBX I think (we already support it in Carrara and this format is a good one)

yolao
03-17-2006, 04:39 PM
hey Thomas...thanks for the answer..i sent an email to eovia some hours ago...but i think it may be good if i post that same questions here...sorry if there are to many...but please take the time to answer..

1-Does hexagon 2 will have all the tools for organic
box modeling?
tools like: spin edge, split loop and slide, split
tool, select edge loop and slide,extrude along
normals, move along normals, normal scale, connect,
select edge and face loop, inset scale, smooth or
relax vertices, etc, etc, etc...

2-I just saw on one of the videos that hexagon 2 has
highlight selection...but does it work like in silo or
softimage where you have the option of move the vertex
and faces with out the manipulator?...and is it
possible to change the selection radius sensitivity of
it?

3-When modeling does the selected vertex or face
become the center pivot point of the camera so it
rotate on the selection?....and i also will like to
know if it remembers the pivot of my last selection
even if i drop the tool?

4-I read in a review that "in version 1.2 there is no
'seam preservation' type tool. While Hexagon does have
a symmetry tool, it does not 'lock' the seam as you
would think it should so that you cannot model across
the seam. For example you could not do a group-type
bevel across the seam." Is this fixed in version 2?

5-Can i assign commands and tools to hotkeys not just
in the keyboard but also in the mouse...and a
combination of both?

6-When is goin to be available a demo to test hexagon
2?

Totyo
03-17-2006, 10:12 PM
Well, I think your email may have been forwarded to my mail box, but I didn't get it. Then, no problems to answer here :)

1. Yes, hexagon have most of the usual boxmodeling tools. you can check them on the Hexagon 1.2 section on Eovia.com (http://www.eovia.com/products/hexagon/hexagon1_2.asp http://www.eovia.com/products/hexagon/hexagon_key_features.asp http://www.eovia.com/products/hexagon/hexagon_inaction.asp)
You can also a video modeling of a character I made, 3h25 of modeling in 1024x768, showing a lot of edge modeling (http://www.eovia3d.net/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
Hexagon 2 add some additions, like smooth/relax, etc.

2. I think you speak of tweaking tool. You can do it in Hex 1 and 2. I don't know enough XSI, even if I want to buy a copy myself ;p

3. The default camera dolly is around the scene point of view, but you can use a shorcut to do the dolly around the current selection (object, faces, edges or vertices)

4. I think you ar speaking of the SubDivisionModeling.com review by Jason :)
Yes, no seams preservation. It's something requested by betatesters, mostly because the symmetry mode (not tool, a mode like Zbrush have) currently doesn't support some tools as the bridge, which will be fix with the 2.0. Then, no problems now with the symmetry tool (which wasn't design for that)

5. You have a shorcut editor in Hexagon to assign tools to shorcuts. No navigations mouse customisation allowed, but we will try to implement some presets in Hex 2 (Maya/Max for sure, I have to check LW, XSI and C4D).

6. The demo will be available after the release (a couple of eek after I think, then, end of April). As usual, it will be a full product, with a 30 days limitation (export/save available).

I hope it will help :)

yolao
03-17-2006, 10:22 PM
thanks Thomas for the answers...i`ll be sure to check all the features...i will download the demo 1.2 and also the demo of v. 2 when it comes out...it looks WONDERFUL..
i read that v.1.2 does not have spin edge or quad....it will be available in version 2?

Totyo
03-18-2006, 10:13 AM
We are working on a Spinquad tool, but perhaps it will be includes in a 2.x version.

Nemoid
03-18-2006, 03:58 PM
We are working on a Spinquad tool, but perhaps it will be includes in a 2.x version.

great to hear about spinquad
I checked your head modelling vid and its cool. I'd like to have simmetry modelling, with locked points along centerline like in Modo/Lw tho.

can we export normal maps after sculpting?

JSKURIAS
03-18-2006, 05:08 PM
Hello Thomas,

Any chance this feature makes it in the upcoming release of Hexagon 2 ??

The current version has three options for the Manipulator Initialization Mode:
--------------------
1. World
2. Selection
3. Bbox
--------------------
4. Individual Object Centers/Pivots -- requested feature

This is essential for rotating or scaling a group of objects where each object has it's own rotational/scaling pivot.

Each selected object receives its own rotation axis, all mutually parallel and passing through the center point of each object, respectively. This is unlike the current 3 options where scaling/rotating is based on one pivot only.

Really don't know how best to explain this... I just hope it's part of Hexagon 2. If not it's, it can be added as an update.

the_zed_axis
03-19-2006, 09:03 AM
looks awesome

i had been putting off learning zbrush for a long time now and about two weeks ago got a couple of dvds from gnomon(which btw are awesome) and kruv studios(the best of the lot) but i am constantly hoping that one of the major 3d software packages introduces zbrush like features in a UI /workflow that i am more accustomed to :)

and also tried my hand at modo and silo...and from the looks of things this lovely is going to be frontrunner (if it delivers )

Totyo
03-20-2006, 01:33 PM
JSKURIAS: as I reply in my forum about this, you are looking more for a local global system for rotation and scaling operations. But you can also define the position of the manipulator (Set pivot tool)

And for your information, We have a developper blog, where we post some betatesters works, and some developpment news and features demos.

It's here: http://hexablog.eovia.com

Nichod
03-22-2006, 02:20 PM
A new video is up on the hex2 page: http://www.eovia.com/products/hexagon/hexagon2.asp

-Sai-
03-22-2006, 03:51 PM
very impressive...

http://server2.eovia.com/demos/hexagon2/brushs_3D.html

http://server2.eovia.com/demos/hexagon2/bump_map.html

lewdzwiedz
03-22-2006, 08:41 PM
The new Hex looks great. Quite a surprise too. Eovia are stealth attackers :)

Is there going to be 16 bit (or more) displacement import ? Zbrush has only 8 bit import.

Totyo
03-23-2006, 11:56 AM
lewdzwiedz: currently, no displacement import, but we have something else perhaps more interesting to show later ;)

Ai02
03-23-2006, 12:58 PM
Now that makes us a bit curious on this ...

obz
03-23-2006, 04:21 PM
Does Hex 2 (or possibly 2.X) have any projection based modeling/texture feature? Something similar to say Projection Master in Zbrush, or Projection Painting in BodyPaint/DeepPaint?

I checked the videos, but saw no mention of projection tools.

poly-phobic
03-23-2006, 04:26 PM
also,
will there be a demo?
and since the price is already so low.. there may not be student pricing, will there?

Totyo
03-23-2006, 07:00 PM
obz: 2.x. But we think about it, it's not the same way as painting on the model itself. Curently, you make the paint from the UV, and on projection, you make the pixel fit the UVs.

vladimir_: Yes, a demo will be available after the shipping, a couple of week later I think. We already do a student pricing for Hexagon 1, I think the price will be the same. But i'm not from marketing, I'm not realy aware of that.

BlackLizard
03-23-2006, 08:27 PM
Thanks for your kind anwsers Totyo, I'll drop mine here ;)
One of the coolest feature of Hexagon, to me, is the history tree that can let you modify your model after other operations.
Is construction history supported also when painting high frequency details (i.e. that will go into displacement map) or to do so you have to "freeze" the model to a mesh of polys? (And when painting/revealing textures?)
I've seen a nice demostration of painting displacement and then accessing the low res model with move tool, is it possible to operate with other tools? i.e. painting bump/disp and then extrude and the like and still keeping the highfreq details.

Thank you again and keep the good working :)
Byez,
BlackLizard

Andrei-Covali
03-25-2006, 01:10 PM
Totyo - i had a look at the videos - one of them really didn't make sense - the real time shadows - it seemed to me that there was only a change of light direction and simple shading with no shadows at all....

will it be possible to paint the displacement while editing the topology of the mesh or only as a late change?

Nemoid
03-27-2006, 10:34 AM
Does hex has some sort of layers, for painting texturs ? this would be truely awesome.

Ballo
03-27-2006, 12:56 PM
Really impressive....with desire to prove it :thumbsup:

Roger Eberhart
03-27-2006, 01:45 PM
Does hex has some sort of layers, for painting texturs ? this would be truely awesome.

I asked that earlier in the thread. The answer is no. He said it could be added as an update.

Totyo
03-28-2006, 12:17 PM
A_K: I'll try to do another RT shadows when I'll have some free time.
You can move (rotate, scale, soft selection, etc) your topology even if it has a displacement, but currently, if you change this topology, you will lose your disaplacement.

On an off topic subject, an official chat is set for less than 4 hours, with the developpment team (then, with me too :)) about Hexagon2. More information here: http://www.eovia3d.net/showthread.php?t=6826

Nichod
03-29-2006, 10:17 AM
Nice interface customization: http://hexablog.eovia.com/index.php/2006/03/28/14-layout-improvements-development-preview

Nemoid
03-29-2006, 07:49 PM
I asked that earlier in the thread. The answer is no. He said it could be added as an update.
Thanks,for the reply i didn't notice your question.

pming
05-17-2006, 01:51 PM
Hiya.

I'm not sure if someone already mentioned this, but you can pick up Hexagon2 for $1.99. Yes, *less than 2 bucks*...sorta. ;) At http://www.daz3d.com you can join as a "Platinum member" for $30.00...then you get the special price for Hexagon2. So, basically, you can pay $32 for Hexagon2, or wait and pick it up for $265 ('ish...that's the price I've seen).

I know I'm going to toss some money into my plastic and grab it today some time. :)

Xevious
05-17-2006, 06:33 PM
Hiya.

I'm not sure if someone already mentioned this, but you can pick up Hexagon2 for $1.99. Yes, *less than 2 bucks*...sorta. ;) At http://www.daz3d.com you can join as a "Platinum member" for $30.00...then you get the special price for Hexagon2. So, basically, you can pay $32 for Hexagon2, or wait and pick it up for $265 ('ish...that's the price I've seen).

I know I'm going to toss some money into my plastic and grab it today some time. :)

Look at the beginning of this thread.

monovich
05-17-2006, 08:04 PM
I read the first post with the pricing info, but it does seem like you can get it for $32 if you join the club. Is there some sort of bait and switch, or is that the case? If so, I'd jump on it just to play with the features, which look nice.

-sf

DanSilverman
05-17-2006, 09:43 PM
It is not bait and switch, that is for sure. If you join the Platinum club for $29 then you can order Hex 2 for 1.99. You have to order the club membership first and pay for that. Immediately after that you can order Hex 2 for $1.99. And you can cancel the membership at anytime so you won't have to pay the $7 monthly fee. In this manner you can get Hex 2 for about $32. No gimicks. Daz just wants you to get interested in their Platinum Club.

monovich
05-19-2006, 11:31 PM
well for $32 I can't afford not to have it just in case...
painting and uv unwrapping look nice.

CGTalk Moderation
05-19-2006, 11:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.